Like Tree3Likes

IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

Reply
Old 08-22-2007, 11:50 AM
  #1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Keytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, KS
My Boats: 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
Posts: 2,730
Default IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

I've searched and found different IMP ramblings on OSO, but I'd like to try to get owners' (specifically 31' Eleganzas and 31'/33' Vipers, but all sizes are welcome) perspectives on the boats. There may not be enough of them on here to justify an IMP-specific forum, but some degree of organization would be cool.

Personally, I have more specific questions about boat construction and reliability/durability/quality. I hear mostly positive comments from owners but get some negative comments from non-owners and a local marina. I'm hearing they're more susceptible to rot than other higher-quality boats due to the use of particle board in the construction. I have yet to hear anything definitive on this subject from anyone other than this marina. Just trying to do my research and get all the facts straight.

Thanks! Hope to hear you folks chimin' in.
Keytime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:50 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Franklin Square NY
My Boats: Crownline 1995 250
Posts: 16
Default IMP 310 Eleganza

The 310 Eleganza was a great boat for the money. Here's a short overview: it porpoised at top speed with 7.4's; mostly chop in the laminate but nonethless solid; low quality vinyls, lots of untreated wood but stringers encapsulated well in chop; engines were lag bolted to stringer blocks; anodized windshield frame prone to chipping; no wiring was loomed but taped together; lots of glitter and gelcoat colors - a nice looker (the swim platform on the 33 looked out of place however); nice rough water ride and pretty dry as bowl had some flare; plywood cored deck adequately glassed in. I would compare this boat at the time to a Chaparral Villain IV, or a Scarab.
BennyBen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:58 PM
  #3
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Keytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, KS
My Boats: 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBen View Post
The 310 Eleganza was a great boat for the money. Here's a short overview: it porpoised at top speed with 7.4's; mostly chop in the laminate but nonethless solid; low quality vinyls, lots of untreated wood but stringers encapsulated well in chop; engines were lag bolted to stringer blocks; anodized windshield frame prone to chipping; no wiring was loomed but taped together; lots of glitter and gelcoat colors - a nice looker (the swim platform on the 33 looked out of place however); nice rough water ride and pretty dry as bowl had some flare; plywood cored deck adequately glassed in. I would compare this boat at the time to a Chaparral Villain IV, or a Scarab.
Wow, great info.

Can the porpoising be damped out adequately with the trim tabs?

Seems to me that if a person keeps water out of it, doesn't leave it in the water for LONG periods of time, and doesn't abuse the h*ll out of it, it's gonna hold up fine in the long run. Thoughts?
Keytime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Franklin Square NY
My Boats: Crownline 1995 250
Posts: 16
Default

Using the tabs scrubs off lots of speed in this boat. Top speed with the 7.4's was low 60's to begin with. At this age, any water damage has already been done. Have a surveyor check it out.
BennyBen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 552
Default

I had a 26 eleganza. Have to agree with everything Benny said. Emphisis on it being a great rough water boat.
CN24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ft Worth, TX
My Boats: 31' IMP Viper
Posts: 104
Default

we have a 31 Viper 1996 7.4s our first twin engine boat. This thing was affordable and super clean when we bought it this spring. It has performed better than expected and has received lots of compliments on styling and condition. I believe it is probably limited on speed. But it seems to have a solid ride. The McLeod interior looks similar to some of the big name makes. The guys at the shop at LOTO have seen many of them (IMPs) over the years and they told me there was an issue at one time with the cross bar for the motor mounts? said the engines would sag a bit and cause couplers to wear out. Mine looks solid and heavy guage steel . My couplers got a thumbs up from my mech.
txwatergypsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:44 AM
  #7
Registered
 
boater31v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alton, IL
Posts: 644
Default

We had a '91 31 Eleganza for about 3 years. Ran it exclusively on LOTO every weekend. Had a great time with it. Handled the water, even on holiday weekends well. Would recommend it to anyone. The only reason we got rid of it is because we sold everything at the Lake and moved to a smaller lake in Illinois because we just couldn't get away to drive to the Lake every weekend anymore.

Good solid boat. Someone mentioned earlier about low quality seats, ours had McCloud interior, last time I checked they were pretty good.
boater31v is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 AM
  #8
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Keytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, KS
My Boats: 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwatergypsy View Post
we have a 31 Viper 1996 7.4s our first twin engine boat. This thing was affordable and super clean when we bought it this spring. It has performed better than expected and has received lots of compliments on styling and condition. I believe it is probably limited on speed. But it seems to have a solid ride. The McLeod interior looks similar to some of the big name makes. The guys at the shop at LOTO have seen many of them (IMPs) over the years and they told me there was an issue at one time with the cross bar for the motor mounts? said the engines would sag a bit and cause couplers to wear out. Mine looks solid and heavy guage steel . My couplers got a thumbs up from my mech.
Hey, txwatergypsy. I've seen your posts in my search. Good info to hear. I appreciate it.
What I'm hearing reflects what my friend has said about his '93 Eleganza. He's had good fortune so far and I just wanted to see what you other owners had to say. I'll have to check more into the coupler issue. Thanks!

Anyone else out there?
Keytime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 AM
  #9
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Keytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, KS
My Boats: 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater31v View Post
We had a '91 31 Eleganza for about 3 years. Ran it exclusively on LOTO every weekend. Had a great time with it. Handled the water, even on holiday weekends well. Would recommend it to anyone. The only reason we got rid of it is because we sold everything at the Lake and moved to a smaller lake in Illinois because we just couldn't get away to drive to the Lake every weekend anymore.

Good solid boat. Someone mentioned earlier about low quality seats, ours had McCloud interior, last time I checked they were pretty good.
Right up the river from my home ground (Granite City and Collinsville). My sister lives in Godfrey, too. Thanks for the help!
Keytime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ft Worth, TX
My Boats: 31' IMP Viper
Posts: 104
Default

I enjoy seeing the IMP related posts. Hope you will report any findings that you have from your research. I was told that Raymond of Ramonds boat sales on the Sunrise beach side of LOTO was a dealer and may have been involved in production at one time. Could be a good source of info.
Im curious to know who has the fastest 31 IMP?
txwatergypsy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
thedonz
Super Boat International
3
09-25-2006 08:11 AM
thedonz
General Racing Discussion
30
03-09-2006 11:57 PM
MIAMIBOYZ
General Racing Discussion
1
11-02-2005 07:06 PM
DaveSunsation
Sunsation
44
05-11-2003 08:57 PM
Whassup
General Boating Discussion
15
03-18-2002 12:06 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.