Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc) >

IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

Notices

IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

Old 09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an IMP viper 31 (1989 hull) reoutfitted w/ 2002 330 offshore factory specs. I am re-reoutfitting it with aluminum block 502's and upgraded drives this winter. The boat is a great starter offshore runner. It weighs alot compared to other go-fast boats, but is fun to jump.

I went looking for the old Iola Molded Plastics company info and wound up talking to the now owner of the original factory buildings. IMP had an auction last year and sold everything in the factory, scattering it to the far corners of the earth. It went belly-up in 2002.

The boat was originally from Pennsylvania and re-outfitted in Lake of the Ozarks. It's now running the waters of Florida and loving it.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Registered

Default imp 330 viper

This is the viper now in florida via lakes of the Ozarks
Attached Thumbnails IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)-5yz42q.jpg  
Old 09-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark McCree
I have an IMP viper 31 (1989 hull) reoutfitted w/ 2002 330 offshore factory specs. I am re-reoutfitting it with aluminum block 502's and upgraded drives this winter. The boat is a great starter offshore runner. It weighs alot compared to other go-fast boats, but is fun to jump.

I went looking for the old Iola Molded Plastics company info and wound up talking to the now owner of the original factory buildings. IMP had an auction last year and sold everything in the factory, scattering it to the far corners of the earth. It went belly-up in 2002.

The boat was originally from Pennsylvania and re-outfitted in Lake of the Ozarks. It's now running the waters of Florida and loving it.
Nice machine! What top speed are you getting out of it with the 330 set-up?

I have an opportunity to buy an original-owner 1992 Eleganza with 230 original hours. White repaint on the side when the "Eleganza" script was removed, but still gelcoat on the bottom. I can get it for $28k w/o trailer. Seems like a good deal to me. Thoughts?
My only concern is some water that left some stains on the wall in the cabin area. The boat was said to be kept on a lift all the time, but the owner has had it on a trailer while trying to sell it, and the cover let some water in. It may just be a rare occurrence that left the stains on the wall material, but I'd have a fiberglass guy check it out before buying it in addition to the typical survey.

I might have to drive by the old factory buildings sometime in Iola if I can figure out where they are. It's a shame they went belly-up.

Last edited by Keytime; 09-04-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Registered

keytime,

The old factory was on 508 w lincoln accross from Iola grain. I have Bravo 4 blade 26 deg props and top end is in the high 60's with the stock 375 hp 454's.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark McCree
keytime,

The old factory was on 508 w lincoln accross from Iola grain. I have Bravo 4 blade 26 deg props and top end is in the high 60's with the stock 375 hp 454's.
Mark, any idea who reoutfitted the IMP at LOTO?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Registered

Mark, Thanks for the posts and pics. im anxious to hear how she does with more HP. i think Im runnin in the lower 60's runnin fairly heavy with the 330 HP's. The graphics look good and they tie the platform in. my wife loves the padded platform. keep us updated.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Registered

txwatergypsy,

Actually, the padded platform is gone. The thing weighed a ton. I had a tubular aluminum platform made and had it anodized purple. Also in the mix, I added 4" x 12" polished stainles exhaust tips as well as a custom cross outdrive stableizer.

There was talk earlier about porpoising at higher speeds and thrimming bla bla bla. When I changed from a 3 blade 23 deg mirage prop to a 4 blade bravo 26 deg prop, the boat trimmed higher than ever and the porpoising went away. Granted there are programs out there that will tell you which prop is the best for your application, but the only true way to pick the best prop is to have 5 to 8 of them at the ramp and keep changing them out until your optimum performance is achieved. The prop god (it's a real company) came out with a mix and sold a set to me after the excersize described above.

I can go from wpb inlet to sebastian on the outside in 2-4 with rollers at 50-60 gps mph in 1 hr and 15 min. jumping and having a blast now.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Registered

keytime,

The viper was re-outfitted by Roger Sandfort of osage beach.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Registered

Default viper weight

One of the other issues with the IMP Viper is the weight. It comes in at 11,500 lbs. That's alot for the tri-axle "off the shelf" trailers out there. I had to re-build mine to withstand the rigors of the highway as it was constantly being literally torn apart.

The pics show a "beefy" retrofitted assembly that now does the job, and matches the boat's paint theme.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Default pics

beefy viper trailer
Attached Thumbnails IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)-dsc02352.jpg   IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)-dsc02356.jpg  

Quick Reply: IMP Roll Call (Eleganzas, Vipers, etc)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.