Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ? >

Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Notices

Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Old 01-29-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think the 496HO is the answer either. The racers and Manufactures won't give up speed. They will build lighter boats. Move down to shorter hulls and take greater 'risks' to obtain the 'need for speed'. Sure limiting HP with the 496 or 6.0L would help but with minimum weights and minimum lengths.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:39 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been reading all of this with keen interest. I must admit, I agree with most of it. Especially what MrOffshore said about not having just one answer.
Both MrOffshore and Chuck made a great point about speed. While it's true that most teams don't want to go any slower, I think most teams would agree that we would rather slow down as opposed to running a canopy. Everybody screams about how much we have to weigh, but a heavier boat can be a stronger boat.
While a bit off topic, Chuck also makes a great point about the GM Vortec 496 as opposed to the Merc 500HP. I'm all for better factory support from the engine manufacturer. Look at what GM is doing for the new SVL classes. Then consider that most of us racers pay the same price that the average buyer does for our 500HP, we advertise the chit out of Mercurys product, but we get no warranty. As for speed, consider that the 496 is about 60 crankshaft horse less than the Merc HP and you have a slower boat. Let's say we lose 5mph. I'm thinking 5mph can make quite a difference here.
I do agree with Mark in that a new SVL boat is not a whole lot more money than a comperable new Factory 1 boat, but it is more money. On the other hand, as Randy stated, the resale value sucks. And, for those of us that are on the bottom of the barrel when it comes to budget, At least I can take my Factory 1 boat to the lake and tan fat, test, have some fun. Tough to do in a canopy boat unless you have a crew with you and spotters around you to watch all the other lake traffic.
Now look at the post by Audacity. Great points here. Ask yourself this, Factory class racing has become possibly the fan favorite of all the classes, (yes, even including Supercat). Why? because their boat looks just like that Formula or Fountain on the race course. I know owners of both of these boat models and others that have expressed that exact sentiment.
I realize there is "nothin stock about a stock car", but they look like the same car that sits in their driveway. They know that underneath it's a whole different animal, but look at how many Monte Carlos have #3 and #24 in the rear glass, or how many Ford Taurus have a tag frame that says, "My other vehicle is the big brown truck".
Like Audacity said,
"Don't change the class that's bringing offshore racing more into the mainstream and into more households with increased exposure".
I will not disagree that there are safety issues, but there are other alternatives. And after all, This is RACING.

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: Gordo ]
Old 01-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Chuck and Gordo both make great points about the warranty/reliability issues facing racers and their bravo's etc. Mercury definitely needs to stand behind teh racers more completely. Adding some higher minimum weight regulations accompanied by smaller motors sure could not hurt anything.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
Maybe just safer cockpits on Factory boats is a good start.Warlock did a real nice insert for there race boats.The only problem is the boat builder needs to tool a new mold for that boat and they are going to want the racer to pay for the whole thing.
Randy
Old 01-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't race F-1, or F-2, but didn't the mandated lowering of the X Dimension slow these boats down some ? I think the racing this past year has been about as tight as you could get.

Short of repower, or canopies (not cost effective) What else would you do to slow these boats down, or make them safer ?
Old 01-29-2002, 11:17 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I brought this topic up at work. It seems that everyone has a different opinion. People like seeing rough (cast iron bull fight) style racing. It is like gladiators. The fun stops when someone gets hurt. People cheer when the guy or girl gets out. I don't want to see any more waisted lives. If they don't want canopy's, how about restraints to keep the people from flying out. Sit down seat belts no roof. Allow some sort of compromise. F1 cars don't have roofs.

pat W
Old 01-29-2002, 11:45 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Good point.
I was looking at the one type of wreck that always seems to happen, the spin out or stuff. The one I saw in San F. a while ago was tragic because they were ejected and woody's hit the same hole and rang there bell. I saw that as the desiding factor for me. I think if there were some changes it might help.
pat W
Old 01-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts
I still think being straped in with full time air in a open cockpit would be safer.If you make the seat tighter and the sides higher you get to a point you wont come out anyway.
Randy
Old 01-30-2002, 10:16 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Why not add the seat belt? I just got a model A and it is weird hanging onto just a steering wheel. I am getting belts tomorrow.
Just a thought.
pat W
Old 01-30-2002, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I said it before- VELCRO driving shorts to hold you in but can come out. They worked on my satin sheets- I don't get ejected out or fly out of the saddle anymore.

Quick Reply: Canopied Factory Boats Good or Bad ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.