Like Tree0Likes

To Turbine or not to Turbine?

Reply
Old 09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
  #71
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Is that system something you came up with or did you get it as a complete unit? Whats the advantage over an electric-hydraulic unit?


Hey Marc, so you're running a fully manual system, no power assist?

Good thread guys.
That is correct. It gives me a very acute feeling of where the boat is (direct feedback) while turning at high speeds and in rough water. There is a bit more resistance but it's very "true" feedback.

Not sure that is needed in pleasure application ...up to the individual

Last edited by Maximus; 09-19-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Maximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 AM
  #72
Registered
Thread Starter
 
KNOT-RIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Providence,RI
My Boats: Turbine 46 Skater
Posts: 3,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Is that system something you came up with or did you get it as a complete unit? Whats the advantage over an electric-hydraulic unit?


Hey Marc, so you're running a fully manual system, no power assist?

Good thread guys.
Not really sure the advantages over elec/hyd.

Here is the alternator setup I was refering to earlier.

I,m still hashing out how I will setup the voltages.
Maybe one 12 volt battery
Two 24 volt for the engines.

On this alternator setup I am thinking about doubling up the alt pulley and running the KRC power steering off the
side.
Attached Thumbnails
To Turbine or not to Turbine?-dscn0001.jpg  
KNOT-RIGHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
  #73
Registered
Thread Starter
 
KNOT-RIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Providence,RI
My Boats: Turbine 46 Skater
Posts: 3,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
That is correct. It gives me a very acute feeling of where the boat is (direct feedback) while turning at high speeds and in rough water. There is a bit more resistance but it's very "true" feedback.

Not sure that is needed in pleasure application ...up to the individual

Marc thanks for the advice on the phone.
Sorry I missed you in Jersey.


I cant imagine running a boat at speeds beyond
"aircraft take off speeds".
I will leave that to you pro,s.

Here is some shots of the combuster housings.
Attached Thumbnails
To Turbine or not to Turbine?-gh049.jpg   To Turbine or not to Turbine?-gh050.jpg  
KNOT-RIGHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM
  #74
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: 38 Jupiter CC, Miss GEICO
Posts: 2,112
Default

oooooohhhhhhhhhh I like those.

Last edited by Maximus; 09-20-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Maximus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM
  #75
Beak botr
VIP Member
 
88Fount33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cape Coral
My Boats: 1988 Fountain 8.8
Posts: 890
Default

Gerry,

Congrats on going Turbine, you are my hero!

Would love to do that but,,,,I have 40min of no-wake each way to get where I can run. The idle fuel consumption would kill my range with only 160 gallon tank! I've heard it is as much as 85% of WOTconsumption, but that at WOT the turbine is more efficient than equal power piston.
88Fount33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:28 PM
  #76
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Annapolis/1000 Islands
My Boats: S-29 Talbot Excavating Crew Chief
Posts: 443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT View Post

I,m still hashing out how I will setup the voltages.
Maybe one 12 volt battery
Two 24 volt for the engines.
I've got an article in Boatbuilder Magazine from a couple years ago that I just found...will scan and send. It covers combined 12/24 volt systems, especially how to set up for charging and drawing off. Voltage dividers, dc to dc converters, other fun stuff. Best e-mail to send it to?
BradH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM
  #77
Registered
Thread Starter
 
KNOT-RIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Providence,RI
My Boats: Turbine 46 Skater
Posts: 3,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I've got an article in Boatbuilder Magazine from a couple years ago that I just found...will scan and send. It covers combined 12/24 volt systems, especially how to set up for charging and drawing off. Voltage dividers, dc to dc converters, other fun stuff. Best e-mail to send it to?


Brad, Thanks for the support!



You have a pm.
KNOT-RIGHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
  #78
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW Ohio
My Boats: '83 Stinger260
Posts: 272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT View Post
Not really sure the advantages over elec/hyd.

Here is the alternator setup I was refering to earlier.

I,m still hashing out how I will setup the voltages.
Maybe one 12 volt battery
Two 24 volt for the engines.

On this alternator setup I am thinking about doubling up the alt pulley and running the KRC power steering off the
side.
I'm loving this turbine thing you're doing and would love to do it myself someday if I ever get the finances. I've got a question for you though. Wouldn't you be better off running the power steering direct from the first pulley and then run the alternator from it by doubling? It seems to me the PS is going to have more inherent drive force needed than an alternator and would be better off being on the "primary" driven pulley than the parasite pulley, and in the event that the draw of both was more than the primary v-belt could pull you could always swap out to a gilmer (timing) belt to cure the slip issue. Just a thought I had.
CCstinger260 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 AM
  #79
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wi.
My Boats: 2000 42 Lightning
Posts: 486
Default

My Hero something great to read through the winter.
satisfied1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:40 AM
  #80
Registered
Thread Starter
 
KNOT-RIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Providence,RI
My Boats: Turbine 46 Skater
Posts: 3,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCstinger260 View Post
I'm loving this turbine thing you're doing and would love to do it myself someday if I ever get the finances. I've got a question for you though. Wouldn't you be better off running the power steering direct from the first pulley and then run the alternator from it by doubling? It seems to me the PS is going to have more inherent drive force needed than an alternator and would be better off being on the "primary" driven pulley than the parasite pulley, and in the event that the draw of both was more than the primary v-belt could pull you could always swap out to a gilmer (timing) belt to cure the slip issue. Just a thought I had.

Good point in the advent that it does slip. I was thinking installing it on the other bell housing. However I may need a alt. on the other depending on which way we decide to wire it.


Thanks for all the support every one!
KNOT-RIGHT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tapa11
General Boating Discussion
46
02-08-2006 05:37 PM
Fanatic
Fountain
11
08-15-2005 08:50 PM
Superbabi
Superboat
2
08-07-2005 08:34 PM
fobes
General Boating Discussion
7
04-04-2005 07:48 AM
ApachePete
Skater
5
04-08-2004 09:59 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.