Like Tree0Likes

Ethanol Bad Gas?????

Reply
Old 02-19-2008, 12:26 AM
  #41
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
CcanDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: DFW
My Boats: "Udderly Fantastic" Motion / 28 Skater 300x's / Bennington Tri-toon 350 Yam
Posts: 1,126
Default

Running Hot, Yes,all reports and studies I've seen say that phase separation will occur after a limited period time. The water and sludge will settle to tank bottom. The water and sludge can be drained until clear fluid flows. Unfortunately, a tank bottom plug may not be Coast guard approved. And,the remaining fuel may be low in octane.

There has been argument for leaving tanks 95% full. The full tank has less room for air and therefore resists attracting water.

There are silicone gel packs designed to absorb water that could be left in an empty tank for an extended lay up. The gel packs would be removed before fueling the tanks.
CcanDo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
  #42
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CcanDo View Post
Running Hot, Yes,all reports and studies I've seen say that phase separation will occur after a limited period time. The water and sludge will settle to tank bottom. The water and sludge can be drained until clear fluid flows. Unfortunately, a tank bottom plug may not be Coast guard approved. And,the remaining fuel may be low in octane.

There has been argument for leaving tanks 95% full. The full tank has less room for air and therefore resists attracting water.

There are silicone gel packs designed to absorb water that could be left in an empty tank for an extended lay up. The gel packs would be removed before fueling the tanks.
CCD this is only in boats being kept outdoors ???? mine is indoors at 68 degrees , did'nt get a chance yesterday but was gonna pressure test before we drain the tanks
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:47 PM
  #43
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Atlanta / Ft. Myers Fl.
My Boats: Currently 2004 36Skater Classic 1000hp PSI ,"Color Me Bad" ___ Prior boats 1999 28Skater, 2008 300XS: 28 Pantera Race 6 pax, 10 meter Fountain
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 View Post
CCD this is only in boats being kept outdoors ???? mine is indoors at 68 degrees , did'nt get a chance yesterday but was gonna pressure test before we drain the tanks
Are you sure about pressure testing.I dont remember the guys name in the Fiberglass Tank Repair thread (because it was Deleated) But he warned not to pressure test the tanks as they would Break.
offshoresteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 AM
  #44
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoresteve View Post
Are you sure about pressure testing.I dont remember the guys name in the Fiberglass Tank Repair thread (because it was Deleated) But he warned not to pressure test the tanks as they would Break.
I believe ROB F mentioned with .05 lbs he did one but spoke with [email protected] and he suggested not to presure test and give it a lil longer and they dont drain the tanks up there they winterize those Skaters in texas and put them up so dont think were gonna drain the tanks even thou Chris seemed concerned that they had gas in them.
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:11 AM
  #45
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
CcanDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: DFW
My Boats: "Udderly Fantastic" Motion / 28 Skater 300x's / Bennington Tri-toon 350 Yam
Posts: 1,126
Default

RHot, Constant temp. @ 68* is relative to expansion /contraction. However,relative humidity is primarily effected by barometric pressure change. Barometric pressure is supported by temp. to create relative humidity.

To insure a more ideal shop condition a Humidifier/Dehumidifier would be used,supported by constant 68* temp.
CcanDo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 AM
  #46
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CcanDo View Post
RHot, Constant temp. @ 68* is relative to expansion /contraction. However,relative humidity is primarily effected by barometric pressure change. Barometric pressure is supported by temp. to create relative humidity.

To insure a more ideal shop condition a Humidifier/Dehumidifier would be used,supported by constant 68* temp.

Thnx Lloyd shop is 68% but no need for dehumidifiers this time of the year i believe the furnaces crankin have removed any wetness in the air .. the dehumids run in the summer when the air is on ..
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:49 PM
  #47
1CE
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 430
Default

B-158, ethanol just doesn't quit ! J-too bad-2-
1CE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
  #48
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Atlanta / Ft. Myers Fl.
My Boats: Currently 2004 36Skater Classic 1000hp PSI ,"Color Me Bad" ___ Prior boats 1999 28Skater, 2008 300XS: 28 Pantera Race 6 pax, 10 meter Fountain
Posts: 794
Default

How long would it take for Phase separation to occur?I have some 93oct in my Skater since Dec 30 should I pump it out and dry the tanks??
offshoresteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
  #49
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoresteve View Post
How long would it take for Phase separation to occur?I have some 93oct in my Skater since Dec 30 should I pump it out and dry the tanks??
U may want to drain them for winter layup Steve ... We pumped ours dry and opened the tops and vacuumed them DRY .. Chris sounded surprized we had fuel in the new tanks so we'll leave them empty untill we take it to the lake
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
camptappakeg69
General Q & A
0
06-29-2008 09:53 PM
Here's Johnny
General Boating Discussion
4
07-05-2007 11:44 PM
jeffswav
General Q & A
25
05-30-2006 12:00 PM
Wobble
General Q & A
34
05-04-2005 04:08 PM
sightunseen
General Q & A
2
06-14-2004 03:35 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.