Like Tree0Likes

Ethanol Bad Gas?????

Reply
Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 PM
  #21
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

I noticed this past fall that West Marine at LOTO was selling a new version of Stabil that was formulated for Ethenol blended fuel. It was considerably more expensive, but the 32oz bottle also treated 320 gallons versus the 80 gallons the regular large Stabil bottle treats.

Not sure there are any results on it yet since I think it got introduced last fall.....and the spring restarts are not here yet.

Anyone know anything about it?
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM
  #22
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
I noticed this past fall that West Marine at LOTO was selling a new version of Stabil that was formulated for Ethenol blended fuel. It was considerably more expensive, but the 32oz bottle also treated 320 gallons versus the 80 gallons the regular large Stabil bottle treats.

Not sure there are any results on it yet since I think it got introduced last fall.....and the spring restarts are not here yet.

Anyone know anything about it?
Thnx John
sure would be nice to know if this stuff worx ,and who has tried it ..... its to late when the Gel coat is poppin off the size of dinner plates, print is showing thru, paint jobs are peeling & bubling & G*S is runnin along the stringers to the bilge pumps..
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:49 PM
  #23
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA
My Boats: not shopping
Posts: 2,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
I noticed this past fall that West Marine at LOTO was selling a new version of Stabil that was formulated for Ethenol blended fuel. It was considerably more expensive, but the 32oz bottle also treated 320 gallons versus the 80 gallons the regular large Stabil bottle treats.

Not sure there are any results on it yet since I think it got introduced last fall.....and the spring restarts are not here yet.

Anyone know anything about it?
Reading my RR owners manual. They say avoid ethanol blended fuels. For one it can eat not only fiberglass, aluminum as well, along with rubber and plastic bits. Sure they can create formulas to make it not lose octane. But don't think they can make something that stops it from decaying components that make up fuel systems.

Last edited by Zudnic; 02-14-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Zudnic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:03 PM
  #24
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zudnic View Post
Reading my RR owners manual. They say avoid ethanol blended fuels. For one it can eat not only fiberglass, aluminum as well, along with rubber and plastic bits. Sure they can create formulas to make it not lose octane. But don't think they can make something that stops it from decaying components that make up fuel systems.
Hey BIG DADDY how the H*LL do we avoid ethanol blended fuels when there puttin 10% in our gas ????????? and Peter has said 2% is BADD, 10% is REALLY BADD . talked to SKATER BROs in Texas, & New Orleans today and they dont have the ethanol added we do in the big city .... WTFs with that ??? any ideas
Thnx zudnic
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:57 PM
  #25
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA
My Boats: not shopping
Posts: 2,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 View Post
Hey BIG DADDY how the H*LL do we avoid ethanol blended fuels when there puttin 10% in our gas ????????? and Peter has said 2% is BADD, 10% is REALLY BADD . talked to SKATER BROs in Texas, & New Orleans today and they dont have the ethanol added we do in the big city .... WTFs with that ??? any ideas
Thnx zudnic
Have no clue how to avoid it.... The owners manual was written in 1991. Discovered that by accident when changing spark plugs. That tidbit was a little interesting that they say avoid ethanol blended petrol. Its also cool that they even have the spark plug gap in the owners manual. But not the for sight that hippie liberal enviro wackos would effect America with this blended bull chit...... You might check into fueling up at a General Aviation airport. But check that out with your engine builder or Skater first. Sunoco sold 98 octane at their gas stations for cars. So wonder if 100LL avgas would be much different to that car fuel octane rating. Ethanol it corrodes aluminum and:


Borrowed from my car club forum and some of their tech advisors as others have read their manuals and asked what to do:

Quote:
The only issue I have identified with oxygenated fuels is that in older cars a lacquer-like coating develops over time on the inside of the fuel tank and the ethanol loosens the lacquer, turning it into a goey mess that clogs the entire fuel system.


Quote:
One of the (rare) benefits of being domiciled in the People's Socialist Republic of Kentucky is that we are not the "first kids on the block" with every bright idea of the Generation Green so I don't face the daily dilemma of either fueling where it is convenient or where the fuel is uncontaminated by ethanol.

I have noticed in the upper Midwest, along the Mississippi River area, regular, and sometimes mid-grade gasoline is contaminated in such a manner but the premium fuel is not. IMNSHO that is simply a way to guide the customers of cars designed to run on 87 octane fuel into purchasing premium fuel with its higher per gallon profits. I just bite the bullet and buy the more expensive fuel as I would rather not use even 10% ethanol fuel in any vehicle that I own. I also make a point of filling my cars before entering that region and then only supplement the fuel on board with a minimal amount to carry me back to where gasoline is exactly that where I can fill up and even further dilute the contaminant alcohol in my fuel tank. That is also my suggestion to you. Fill up before you leave and rather than topping off your tank add only the amount necessary to get you to where you can buy real gasoline again.

Last edited by Zudnic; 02-14-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Zudnic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 AM
  #26
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zudnic View Post
Reading my RR owners manual. They say avoid ethanol blended fuels. For one it can eat not only fiberglass, aluminum as well, along with rubber and plastic bits. Sure they can create formulas to make it not lose octane. But don't think they can make something that stops it from decaying components that make up fuel systems.
World has changed a lot since the 90s. That probably is the issue. My 600s manual does not indicate an ethanol blend is not tolerated, rather, as long as 91 octane is maintained you are ok. I suspect the other components, like hoses, are tolerant of ethanol in newer applications.

The question I have is more around sustaining the integrity of the fuel over long storage. LOTO has sustained non ethanol gas on the lake for a long time, so I haven't had to use ethanol blend. But I suspect this season it will be inevitable.

I am just wondering how the Stabil for ethanol works. There are times even during boating season that I might go 3-4 weeks before runs, so can I use the stabil for ethanol as a mitigation for problems?

I am an advocate of leaving my tank pretty empty over winter and filling with highest octane in the spring. And then changing the water separation filter early after running an hour or so.

Last edited by Mentalpause; 02-15-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 AM
  #27
Registered
 
Chris288's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY
My Boats: 2005 288 SUNSATION
Posts: 4,124
Default

I have been saying all along that I thought Sta-bil didn't work very well for w/ E-10 and to use star-tron. Glad to see sta-bil is reformulated. I have had great luck with star-tron and will continue to use it in everything.
Chris288 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM
  #28
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frankfort,ill
My Boats: 40 SKATER
Posts: 12,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris288 View Post
I have been saying all along that I thought Sta-bil didn't work very well for w/ E-10 and to use star-tron. Glad to see sta-bil is reformulated. I have had great luck with star-tron and will continue to use it in everything.
hey Big Daddy so the star-tron is working ????? and has helped in stopping the tanks from Melting ????? are you a dealer for star-tron or just looking for helpful products to combat this B/S
RunninHotRacing163.1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
  #29
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WA
My Boats: not shopping
Posts: 2,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalpause View Post
World has changed a lot since the 90s. That probably is the issue. My 600s manual does not indicate an ethanol blend is not tolerated, rather, as long as 91 octane is maintained you are ok. I suspect the other components, like hoses, are tolerant of ethanol in newer applications.

The question I have is more around sustaining the integrity of the fuel over long storage. LOTO has sustained non ethanol gas on the lake for a long time, so I haven't had to use ethanol blend. But I suspect this season it will be inevitable.

I am just wondering how the Stabil for ethanol works. There are times even during boating season that I might go 3-4 weeks before runs, so can I use the stabil for ethanol as a mitigation for problems?

I am an advocate of leaving my tank pretty empty over winter and filling with highest octane in the spring. And then changing the water separation filter early after running an hour or so.
Think thats where my car manufacture has problems. Most who own them store them over longer periods and use them rarely. A lot of the other service issues are Ferrari like issues that are more storage gremlins over the car itself. The Stabil does prevent the laquer goey stuff gas turns into. Hence some Ferrari owners complained about tuning carbs etc, almost every time they drove them. Must be Ferrari and not that they only drove it around the block once or so a year.

The other with mine ethanol causes corrosion in aluminum engines. But again think driving them is key in keeping them moisture free, etcetera. A few dealers and other specialists are saying if your RR has been in storage for 6 month or more have it towed into the shop. Have gas tank flushed out, and then be on your way....... Magazines my favorite section is tech columns because I like doing most stuff myself. For both boats and cars that people store for longer periods most of the little gremlins seem storage related. Still don't like that ethanol is more corrosive on rubber, plastics, etcetera.

The other part of buying ethanol blends is its hippie dippy liberal BS. For almost the same reason if I drive through Oregon, I try and avoid buying gas inside that state. After sort of working near the agriculture industry. They don't really have to employ illegal immigrants and government should not help them in this manner until they employ legal Americans. Like Oregon should let us Romans pump our own gas, not have some F'in welfare moron do it for us! So its also I dont like f'in liberalism ethanol is better for the environment BS and mechanical. Plus don't like industry welfare that employs and encourages mediocre work force..............................
Zudnic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 AM
  #30
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: annapolis Md
Posts: 58
Default

Lets lobby to get this CRAP taken out! Gas absolutly does go bad much faster! Cars harder to start [reportedly from backflow preventer valves going to sh** from the ethenal] Fiberglass tanks on cruisers disolving cousing many many gallons of gas to get pumped OVERBOARD. [until bilgepump melts] Also increase in pollution from plowed fields and Nitrates from run off.
mercury is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
camptappakeg69
General Q & A
0
06-29-2008 09:53 PM
Here's Johnny
General Boating Discussion
4
07-05-2007 11:44 PM
jeffswav
General Q & A
25
05-30-2006 12:00 PM
Wobble
General Q & A
34
05-04-2005 04:08 PM
sightunseen
General Q & A
2
06-14-2004 03:35 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.