Listing with a Broker Pro's & Con's?

Notices

Listing with a Broker Pro's & Con's?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike:
If you decide to list your boat with a broker give him your NET figure that you want in your pocket after commissions. That way if a customer makes an offer, the broker can choose to do a short deal to make it happen. You will get some low-ball offers that will only make you angry. This way you can tell the broker to not bring you any offers that don't net you what you want. Good Luck either way.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Selling your boat

Mike,

I was about to give you the same advice as Tom gave you. He is 1000% correct about location and drive by, along with the dealer's reputation.

Without the boat on a lot for the touchy feely you will have to rely on the internet. Remember a lot of the boats we sell were not always the boat they were after but saw this "perfect" one. That is why we stock 11 million in inventory.

If you price it right and it is truly clean it will sell and should sell in a month or so. If not your price is too high. September is always slow with the kids going back to school. Not just boat sales but everything. It will kick up big time after Ft. Lauderdale. Your market will be down here as most up north are putting everything away for the winter.

Good luck,

Carl
Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am selling a bot in the classifeds now for a friend. He has done me some big favors, so it is my turn to repay the favor.

I get lots of hits, I am confident it will sell soon, one is a broker. He is offering $5000, list on the boat is $8500, and book is $12K. He has been hounding me and the seller. I have been an ass in returned messages.

Last message was "It is not my problem your buyer wants to spend a ton of money moving a boat. All you have shown my so far is when it comes time to sell my boat, you do not have buyers willing to pay what it is worth. If you want it the price just went up".

You can contrive the rest of my thoughts. I am sure all brokers are not like this one, but this is the real time, real life experience I am having.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been talking to alot of brokers over the last 60 days. Out of 30 or so, one or two weren't entirely worthless. Most took multiple e-mails and calls to get ahold of and almost all new little or nothing about the boat I was inquiring about. None followed up on additional information I asked for unless pressed multiple times and 2/3rds still didn't. This includes some of the guys whos names you see mentioned in threads and in classifieds on this site. The best of them basically told me in polite terms they knew little and that was it. Granted, I'm looking at boats +/- $75K price range so nobody's going to put their kid thru college on me. What really irked me is that on follow-up calls the next day, they didn't even recall who I was or the context of my calls. And here I thought it was a buyer's market.

So, that's what you can expect when you list your boat with the "average" broker.

It used to be, the broker weeded out the tire-kickers, assembled the deal for the buyer and secured financing if need be.

Here's how I see it-

Everyone who's looking visits yachttrader, boattrader & ebay. It's not hard or expensive to make your boat visible. Banks and brokers are everywhere so financing isn't an issue that it once was. So the barriers a broker used to help a buyer get over aren't as significant as in years past. Now, you still have the tire-kickers. In my case, they had a cash buyer looking for a boat and nobody would get me basic information- even on boats in their possession. If that's the job the broker you end up with does for you, are you really better off?
Old 09-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Registered

Mike,

As a dealer and broker here in NY we offer to broker your current boat at no commission if you are buying a new boat (ordered or in stock). We also do international sales as well as domestic. This benefits the consumer in two ways. 1. He gets top dollar for his current boat and pays zero commission. 2. It runs through our books at point of sale giving you the tax credit on your new purchase. If it is a straight up sell only broker deal then we would pull a commission for the sale. As an example if you were interested in a Carrera Sport Fish we could make it happen. We can also get some lines we do not stock as well. We also take trades if you wanted to go that route, also giving you the tax break on the new purchase but of course you get let money for current boat. Another benefit mentioned above we can secure financing and insurance for the buyer of your current boat to make the transactions seamless and painless.

If you have any questions give us a call (631) 724-8707.

Paul

Last edited by TSPM; 09-12-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Registered

Mike, OSO also has another site call Anglersonly try posting there as well.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:29 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Mike I can tell you from first hand personal experience trying to sell my 38 Open, Fountain sales seem to me to be a numbers game.

Biggest problem is the 38 is a popular SKA boat and Fountain sells the SKA boats to the fisherman below dealer cost. Therefore destroying the re-sale market for people like myself and you.

You will see SKA boats selling with a couple hundred hours on them one year old at almost 40% off retail. Therefore setting the stage for all the other used boats on the market.

Fountain also has creative dealer and consumer financing so sometimes buying a new boat makes more monthly sense to the buyer.

What I am saying is selling your boat regardless of how clean it is will be a numbers game and I can tell you that its probably worth a lot less than any book says it is or what you think it is worth.

Also remember that the market is very slow this time of year and it picks up after the Lauderdale boat show. Fell free to send me the specs and info on your boat and when I drop the 10's of thousands of flyers I plan on dropping on the city for my 38 for sale during the boat show, I can drop yours at the same time.

When the potential new boat buyers see the retail at the show and then the used discounted boat on the flyer perhaps they will make a buying decision before they do the research and find out the SKA special pricing.

My boat will be on display on the side of the road with decals and pricing during the show as I live less than a mile from the shows entrance.

I can also tell you that I have not had much action from my OSO classified even at the low price I have mine advertised at.

Lets face it, when you are dealing with the manufacturer with the best marketing moves you have to try some of you own.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered

Well said Steve. Number 1 reason we would not take on the Fountain line because of what happens to those customers when they do that.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Steve, I will call you during work hours tomorrow and get you what you need for the flyer. I truely appreciate that and all the advice I have received here.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Thanks Steve, I will call you during work hours tomorrow and get you what you need for the flyer. I truely appreciate that and all the advice I have received here.
I will be happy to give you the SKA pricing, dealer cost, and everything else I have learned about the sale and resale of these boats so you can try to move yours as well. I will be in all day 954-463-1101.

Quick Reply: Listing with a Broker Pro's & Con's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.