Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Got a letter from the county today... >

Got a letter from the county today...

Notices

Got a letter from the county today...

Old 09-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Got a letter from the county today...

Well, I brought the Pantera home about 4-5 weeks ago. I had the motor pulled the following weekend, and started work in the bilge while the motor is being gone through.
Also have been working on some hullside nicks and scratches, nothing that looks too major.
Got a letter that I'm in violation of local code having the boat in the driveway due to a complaint.
Also got a notice of Certified waiting for me at the post office.
I have 7 days to get it into the "side or backyard", and it must be "stored or parked on a paved surface".
OK not a problem, I throw down a few patio stones in the backyard, and park the trailer on them. It was just easier to work on the boat in the driveway with all my tools right there in the garage.
I could tell two of the neighbors were jealous when I brought it home. Hmmmm...
Now, let's set the scenario.
The neighborhood is only 4 years old.
Houses range in the $140K-200K range. It ain't Beverly hills, but my house is nice, and it's close to work, and it fits in my budget.
The name of the city is Hebron - if you've ever flown into the Cinci Airport, you were actually in Hebron, KY. The airport is about 4 miles from my house. The town has a population of about 2500 last time I checked. Downtown consists of a small grocery store, a McNasty's, a Daycare, and a Bar.
THAT'S IT!!!
Down the street from me - on the corner to turn down my road - there is a fat couple with at least 4 kids, and they have a HOT TUB in their driveway ( yes we're in Kentucky). Across the street from them is a house that closed in both garage doors with T-111 and started a Daycare in the house.
AND THE COUNTY or neighbor HAS A PROBLEM WITH MY BOAT IN THE DRIVEWAY???
For crying out loud - this is Kentucky, and yes, the majority of the people I've met are everything you'd expect from KY (listen for the banjo's), there are a few that don't fit the mold, but they are hard to find.
The code reads I can only have a trailer/boat 25x9 max and it needs to be stored in the side or backyard on a "paved area".
Good thing I didn't buy the 28 Magnum I was considering.
I'm planning on finding indoor storage for the winter anyway.

So, do I now:
1. Start *****ing about every other neighbor to the county??
2. Call Paul Buchannan the code enforcement officer on Monday and request a meeting in my driveway, and a walk through the neighborhood to point out what I see.
3. drop some pavers in the backyard, pull the boat back there and just shut up to keep the peace??

Apologize for the rant...
Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Put the boat it the backyard. It might be worth it to "notify" the neighborhood that the county has come down on you about code violations and now plans their own walk through of the neighborhood since complaints have been filed. Sign the letter as if you are doing this as a "service" to the rest of your neighbors to warn them about code violations in the coming weeks.

I'm willing to bet next spring if your boats in the driveway there will be less people ready to file complaints if they think the county is going to come inspect everyone in the neighborhood.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks bro! I dont have any GOOD ideas but I can tell you the CODES are not much diffrent here. The houses range from $250 - $650 (water front) my boat fits under my carport so I am good, but they have tryed to fine my freind for his 16 foot flats fish boat. But they let old nasty / recked cars sit in the drive's.

Rag's
Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered

The boat will go in the backyard on Sunday afternoon (after I'm done working this weekend)
But, I'm thinking on Monday of calling the Code Enforcement Officer, and requesting a meeting in the driveway to take a walk and just get him started on the other violations.
I don't care if I pizz off the neighbors, I don't associate with any of them anyway.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a heads up have you any houses for sale near you? If so the realator is the one that probably complained. Its the only time I have had issues with my boat in the yard and working on cars.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there, I got ticketed foir my 16' car trailer being parked behind my garage in my fenced in yard but the illeagal mexicans across the street have 5 cars in the driveway 3 of which don't run and that is ok. In my town I can park a trailer anywhere I want as long as it is on concrete so they can tax me more. That is why I moved out of the city limits and out of a subdivision with a homeowners assoc.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ragtop409
That sucks bro! I dont have any GOOD ideas but I can tell you the CODES are not much diffrent here. The houses range from $250 - $650 (water front) my boat fits under my carport so I am good, but they have tryed to fine my freind for his 16 foot flats fish boat. But they let old nasty / recked cars sit in the drive's.

Rag's
Yep, on my street there are two mini pickups that are both sitting with the front end on blocks. Apparently my boat is a bigger problem...
I mean, the area is not a dump by any means, and anyone that is working on something in the driveway is doing it discretely so the whole yard isn't a mess.
The properties are all well cared for.
So leave me the phuck alone to work on my boat in my driveway.
It may also be people pizzed because me and the wife have been parking on the street because the boats in the Driveway.

Again, we're in KY. They actually shut down a highway today for the parade going to the HS football game. I mean during rush hour traffic.
And it's a code violation to have a boat in the drive.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbo2256b
Just a heads up have you any houses for sale near you? If so the realator is the one that probably complained. Its the only time I have had issues with my boat in the yard and working on cars.
House across the street has been for sale for 6 mos.

Originally Posted by 320es
Been there, I got ticketed foir my 16' car trailer being parked behind my garage in my fenced in yard but the illeagal mexicans across the street have 5 cars in the driveway 3 of which don't run and that is ok. In my town I can park a trailer anywhere I want as long as it is on concrete so they can tax me more. That is why I moved out of the city limits and out of a subdivision with a homeowners assoc.
Yep, the wife is up for a promotion, and we've been discussing building a place in between these posts.
We actually have more house than we need, it's just her and I and three dogs (one of them is living on borrowed time).
I never wanted to live in a Subdivision, but it worked at the time. I'm starting to re-think that.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Registered

I'd be hot!

I would talk with the local inspector and let him know you didn't realize it was a violation of the local code and have complied with the code. I would also ask who the complaint came from. I think you would have the right to know. Depending on how their property looks it might be time for a few complaints of your own.

Dan
Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

I had a worse problem in my last neighborhood. We had alleys, and I parked my 22-foot Crownline on a boat pad in the back. You couldn't see it from the street, but you could see it from the alley.

I got a letter from the Covenence Committee saying that they could see my boat from a "public area". Apparently, the alley is a public area!

I had to build a 16-foot, double hinged gate to keep people from seeing the boat from the alley!

Quick Reply: Got a letter from the county today...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.