Like Tree0Likes

If you were getting a new boat.....

Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

SO we are all in agreement that buying a boat that size would have to stay at the marina.......

Find a marina that have the amenities that i am looking for and purchase a slip there......

Buy the boat and have it shipped there by some-one who know what the hell they are doing or purchase the boat locally.........

Slip - 200 - 400
Boat note - 450
Insurance - 150
Gas -
Repair -

Viper -
Old 09-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Nor-Tech 3600 SuperCat "Suppression"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Washington View Post
It looks like a great boat, but...

There is NO WAY that you want to keep that boat at your house and "trailer" it back and forth to the lake!

Pick your favorite lake and research the marinas. Find one you like and get a wet slip (not dry stack).

Then hire a prefessional to move the boat from its current location to your lake.

Good luck!
I second that all the way....too big to haul in and out every time you want to use it...but 310 Dancer's are a good choice...
Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: I think I have a Center Console now

What ever you figure the cost of operating the boat being .... DOUBLE IT !!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: SOLD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V i p e r View Post
SO we are all in agreement that buying a boat that size would have to stay at the marina.......

Find a marina that have the amenities that i am looking for and purchase a slip there......

Buy the boat and have it shipped there by some-one who know what the hell they are doing or purchase the boat locally.........

Slip - 200 - 400
Boat note - 450
Insurance - 150
Gas -
Repair -

Viper -
My philosophy was to always take the cost to own the boat if you are looking at financing it and adding the other fixed costs such as the insurance and then take that number times 3 and that would be much closer to an estimate of operating the boat. Too many people buy a boat based on a payment and they do not realize(especially with current gas prices) that the real cost to "using" a boat is everything else, i.e. all the other expenses such as the annual slip fee of $3000, $300+ a weekend in fuel (mine was like $1000), food and drinks $200 a weekend, truck gas to tow of $100 a weekend, servicing the boat every 25-50 hours, storage, winterization, vehicle upgrade to be safe to tow, etc. I assume you get my point that it is the extras that must be considered. It is not fun to buy a boat if you can not afford to use it so often it is best to start smaller and see if it something you like.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: Cigarette - Cafe Racer
Smile

Quote:

Slip - 200 - 400
Boat note - 450
Insurance - 150
Gas -
Repair -

Viper -
And it will be the best money you EVER spend!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer01 View Post
My philosophy was to always take the cost to own the boat if you are looking at financing it and adding the other fixed costs such as the insurance and then take that number times 3 and that would be much closer to an estimate of operating the boat. Too many people buy a boat based on a payment and they do not realize(especially with current gas prices) that the real cost to "using" a boat is everything else, i.e. all the other expenses such as the annual slip fee of $3000, $300+ a weekend in fuel (mine was like $1000), food and drinks $200 a weekend, truck gas to tow of $100 a weekend, servicing the boat every 25-50 hours, storage, winterization, vehicle upgrade to be safe to tow, etc. I assume you get my point that it is the extras that must be considered. It is not fun to buy a boat if you can not afford to use it so often it is best to start smaller and see if it something you like.
Thanks, this is exactly the info i am looking for so i can get a realistic picture of what this will cost me.

Intereting enough, we already spend roughly 200 on food & drink over the weekend, and with all of the traveling back and forth we do for the kids activities, the 100 dollars for gas is not that far off also.

Servicing the boat, storage winterization and god know what other expenses are out there is what i am trying to plan/prepare for.

Again to all really,

Thanks for the info.......

But a 1000 bucks for gas, thats rediculous..........

Viper
Old 09-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered

My Boats: '99 33 Outlaw HP 500's,

I know friends that hardly even leave the dock. The people hang out on the dock like a big party. My wife is trying to get me to buy a boat like that. I like them but towing is impracticable. I like going to different lakes so i'm sticking with the towables.

P.S. My point was if you don't have gas money ,they're still fun.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: Cigarette - Cafe Racer

Quote:
Thanks, this is exactly the info i am looking for so i can get a realistic picture of what this will cost me.

Intereting enough, we already spend roughly 200 on food & drink over the weekend, and with all of the traveling back and forth we do for the kids activities, the 100 dollars for gas is not that far off also.

Servicing the boat, storage winterization and god know what other expenses are out there is what i am trying to plan/prepare for.

Again to all really,

Thanks for the info.......

But a 1000 bucks for gas, thats rediculous..........

Viper

Viper - it depends on how you use it, and how you treat it..... Don't be scared off by horror stories of gas bills and huge maintenance costs; be prepared for them, but don't be scared off by them. I use my boat ALMOST EVERY weekend, and I am FAR from the money is no object crowd. We use ours to run around and get lunch/drinks, stay over night places, raft up, etc.... I admittedly do not go out for 100 mile cruises ever, but we do USE the boat.

KNOCK on WOOD I have spent NOTHIGN On the boat this summer other than the price of Gasoline, Mobil 1, Oil Filters, and Salt-Away. The only thing that I have broken has been the damn jack on the trailer (don't ask me how). I am just telling you this so that you understand not all boat ownership stories are horror stories. On average I would say I have put in about 150 dollars in gas a weekend.

You really need to decide what kind of boat you want first. A performance boat will certainly cost you more in every category (insurance, gas, maint.) than a cruiser like the Sea Ray you mentioned, BUT a performance boat is trailerable so you would not need a slip. If you are looking to mostly do weekend trips with the family like you said above, then you probably need to be looking at a decent cruiser. I don't think that you will have nearly the enjoyment of doing so in an offshore boat.

One last thing - if you are going to get a cruiser - get a diesel - less maintenance, better fuel economy.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: SOLD!!!

I guess the beauty of boating is that we all boat differently. My family and I enjoy going to the beaches in Lake Michigan, running the rivers, exploring all over Lake of the Ozarks, etc. We have always used the boat to enjoy these things. I guess it has always been my opinion when I see people in the harbors that never leave, I always ask myself, "why not buy a condo on the water?" where you will appreciate in value if you truly do not want to spend time out on the water. I only bring this up because if you are truly buying a boat to use it, there are lots of costs to consider. In our area, if you tie up somewhere, they usually charge you to park, when you launch, they charge you, if you have a porta-potti in the boat that you use, they charge you to pump it out, if you store it somewhere for the offseason, etc. I think you get the point. Think about these things because it sucks to see friends with boats that they make payments on but can not truly afford to enjoy them for what they are intended.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Registered

My Boats: Avanti 33 CC,322Monterey,17 Wahoo CC (Ex.Sonic guy)

Viper,Its a tough one,I went from performance boating to a express cruiser(in July).As the family change so do your habits.I found myself trying to make my (gofast) a cruiser.Then finally headed to the otherside Cruisers. And love it not saying in a couple of years I dont get a little hammer of some sort to burn around in also.But I guess what I'm saying is just think about what you will do the most of.Just for the record I use less fuel in my express with twins than my single blower motor in my gofast.And also due some reseach before you settle on any one brand,My 322/L.O.A 36'4 Monterey cruises at 38 mph/gps not to shabby.And tops around 48/50 mph/gps.Its a little less beam and a lot more deadrise than a Ray of that year (Sea Ray change lenghts and beams and models every few years I know this just from researching for myself).But Its just my short story/.02ct. Hope it helps a little.

Last edited by creeper; 09-25-2007 at 01:58 PM.