Like Tree0Likes

Need advice on selling my boat

Reply
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tonganoxie, KS
My Boats: 24' Baja
Posts: 410
Default

If you were quoted $1,200 to have the bottom paint removed I would go ahead and do it, and get the gel chip taken care of whiile at it. They should be able to fix the chip and the bottom paint for $1,500 or under. Seems like a good deal to me. Honestly I wouldn't have done the paint removal for that cheap (nasty job!) if they want to charge you more than $200 for the gel chip let me know and I'll come take care of that for you on your dock. I sent you an email also with what I believe you add should be like.

And to everyone else, he isn't kidding on the condition of this boat, it looks and runs awesome! I worked for the marina that did some work/maintenance on it last summer and other than the bottom paint, this boat is VERY nice and runs great.

Get rid of the bottom paint and I don't believe you will have problems selling it. Good luck!
Brandon
Brandon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
  #12
Registered
 
sellsman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pickwick Lake, USA
Posts: 1,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
You also have a lot ALL CAPS in your ad, stating no warranty and no trailer. While the no trailer thing is logistical, you can be more friendly about it. You could offer assistance in fitting the boat for a trailer, and you could price out a Nextrail or something similar, and offer the trailer with the boat for an additional cost. As for the NO WARRANTY in all caps; it definitely would spook me into thinking "what's wrong with the boat that he wants nothing to do with it forever?" People want to buy from a friend, and have a friendly, pleasant transaction. They will steer clear of a deal with a boat-load of caveats. Boat sales are down, period. Now its coming into the off season. You may want to start advertising what you would sell it for in the spring, which is probably a cheaper price, since you might not sell it until then anyhow. Right now every used boat buyer knows he has time and season; and therefore his price on his side. Hopefully interest rates are going to become friendly here again soon as well.


Good advice. Learned in a marketing class once that the word NO should never be used in a sales ad. It just promotes negativity.

I would think that boat would sell in a local publication. Boat Trader or whatever.

Good Luck
sellsman11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tonganoxie, KS
My Boats: 24' Baja
Posts: 410
Default

How about some pics of the new TG you just bought!
Brandon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
  #14
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
eichhoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis
My Boats: Cig TG
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
How about some pics of the new TG you just bought!
Hey Brandon... Check out the thread in the Cig forum called "Trailering a 38 Cig" I got pics in there!

Shoot, for 200 bucks I woudl rather just pay you to come fix it... Give me a call tonight and lets discuss.
Mark
314-960-5774
eichhoma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:20 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Donman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lake Texoma
Posts: 915
Default

Lots of very good advice here.

My opinion :

The Mach 1 is not a well known brand.

Bottom paint ... well ....

No trailer.

For $69K I could buy a real nice BAJA !
Donman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
  #16
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Guntersville. Alabama
My Boats: 32' Fever, 30' Chris Cat (SOLD) & 27' Lazer (SOLD)
Posts: 747
Default

Nice boat.....I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I pretty much agree with everything else everyone stated about your boat.... but I wanted to share with you my .02 cents on boat sales in general....

It has been my experience with boats that "book value" in boats doesnt mean squat and is mearly a number.... A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and like other have stated a nice Baja can be had for the same price range as your asking for yours....

Brand names dont always sell boats but pricing and presentation will certainly help sell your boat. I think you need to address the bottom paint and trailer issue to make the boat a little more of an attractive buy. You need to do somethings to attract a buyer that would otherwise buy a Baja or comperable Performance Boat.

As for eBay, now is not the time to sell a boat unless your going to give it away. My wholesale car business is literally built around ebay and I sell on there every week....The thing I have learned selling on ebay over the last 10 years is that the pricing of what your boat brings in bids on ebay is what the market will bear.....

Try running your boat on ebay with no reserve and start the bidding at $1000.00 and over the course of 6 of the 7 day auction you will get a pretty good idea of what the "market" deems the worth of your boat....obviously dont sell it unless your going to give it away, but at least you will have an idea what the market will bear....then you can decide to keep it or sell it below what your expecting to get for it...

Good Luck,
Steve
long duck dong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:53 PM
  #17
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
eichhoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis
My Boats: Cig TG
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donman View Post
Lots of very good advice here.

My opinion :

The Mach 1 is not a well known brand.

Bottom paint ... well ....

No trailer.

For $69K I could buy a real nice BAJA !
I agree with you, the brand is not as wll known and the bottom paint is going to get removed....

a Baja? haha, well, ok. Like I said, the person looking atthis boat is well aware of what all it has and what its worth. Some Baja owners seem to think their boats actually appreciate in value. haha....
eichhoma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
  #18
VIP Member
VIP Member
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
eichhoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis
My Boats: Cig TG
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by long duck dong View Post
Nice boat.....I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I pretty much agree with everything else everyone stated about your boat.... but I wanted to share with you my .02 cents on boat sales in general....

It has been my experience with boats that "book value" in boats doesnt mean squat and is mearly a number.... A boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and like other have stated a nice Baja can be had for the same price range as your asking for yours....

Brand names dont always sell boats but pricing and presentation will certainly help sell your boat. I think you need to address the bottom paint and trailer issue to make the boat a little more of an attractive buy. You need to do somethings to attract a buyer that would otherwise buy a Baja or comperable Performance Boat.

As for eBay, now is not the time to sell a boat unless your going to give it away. My wholesale car business is literally built around ebay and I sell on there every week....The thing I have learned selling on ebay over the last 10 years is that the pricing of what your boat brings in bids on ebay is what the market will bear.....

Try running your boat on ebay with no reserve and start the bidding at $1000.00 and over the course of 6 of the 7 day auction you will get a pretty good idea of what the "market" deems the worth of your boat....obviously dont sell it unless your going to give it away, but at least you will have an idea what the market will bear....then you can decide to keep it or sell it below what your expecting to get for it...

Good Luck,
Steve
Thansk Steve, I appreciate the info. I plan on removing the bottom paint but I amnto going to mess with a trailer.
I thought about doing the no reserve auction but I dont want to give it away... mostly because, I dont NEED to. Its paid for, I just bought a cig... its paid for to. I am going to ge tthe drives cleaned up, bottom paint removed, abd get that gel spot fixed and then store it a while I think and see what the market looks like around the time of the big boat show here or summer of next year. I tink around the boat show, people get excited about buying a new boat, realize they cant afford a new boat, then look at used ones pretty close. In STL, the market actually improves in Feb. in Boat sales due to the big boat show here.

Thanks for all the advice though, I am glad I made this post and got this feedback, now its time to get that stuff addressed! Mark
eichhoma is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
  #19
Registered
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default

It sounds like you are getting some great advise. I can only add one personal preference...

Lose the Bimini Top!

If you want to sell performance boat, then make it look like a performance boat. Include the bimini in the sale, but take it off the boat and take some new pics. The bimini messes up the "performance lines".

Just my two-cents...
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 PM
  #20
Registered
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default

Oh, and as far as the price... I would take $68,000 for my boat right now!

Granted, mine's a 1990, but it's a Cigarette!

You may need to drop the price at least $10K before you get a bite.

Just my (additional) two-cents...
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bcoffield
Sunsation
13
03-04-2007 05:35 PM
Expo
General Boating Discussion
3
05-01-2005 09:01 AM
Chris288
General Boating Discussion
10
10-14-2004 08:08 PM
JohnJan
General Boating Discussion
8
02-19-2004 01:08 PM
dloftis
General Boating Discussion
11
02-21-2003 06:12 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.