Need advice on selling my boat >

Need advice on selling my boat

Notices

Need advice on selling my boat

Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need advice on selling my boat

I have ran an eBay auction and have an ad for my 2001 Mach 1 340 BR right here on OSO...

I would like some opinions as to why I am not getting bites on this. I am priced WAY under book value. Granted, it is not a "performance boat persay, just curious as to what the demand is like on something like this and if going into winter has a great deal to do with the lack of interest.

Here is a link to my ad:

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o18669-en.html

Any advice, critique's etc., are welcomed.
Thanks fellas!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Bottom paint is a huge turnoff. Not that you should hide the fact that it has been kept in the water, but the majority of performance boats are not kept in the water. I'd have it pulled, and have the bottom paint removed and gelcoat restored. Have the gelcoat repair work done. No one wants to spend money on a boat they just bought.

Also, to be bluntly honest, the cabin looks dirty; if its supposed to be white vinyl. If its a darker tan/beige, then you need to point that out. You need brighter pictures, and you can't have too many pictures.

You also have a lot ALL CAPS in your ad, stating no warranty and no trailer. While the no trailer thing is logistical, you can be more friendly about it. You could offer assistance in fitting the boat for a trailer, and you could price out a Nextrail or something similar, and offer the trailer with the boat for an additional cost. As for the NO WARRANTY in all caps; it definitely would spook me into thinking "what's wrong with the boat that he wants nothing to do with it forever?" People want to buy from a friend, and have a friendly, pleasant transaction. They will steer clear of a deal with a boat-load of caveats. Boat sales are down, period. Now its coming into the off season. You may want to start advertising what you would sell it for in the spring, which is probably a cheaper price, since you might not sell it until then anyhow. Right now every used boat buyer knows he has time and season; and therefore his price on his side. Hopefully interest rates are going to become friendly here again soon as well.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-25-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by eichhoma
I have ran an eBay auction and have an ad for my 2001 Mach 1 340 BR right here on OSO...

I would like some opinions as to why I am not getting bites on this. I am priced WAY under book value. Granted, it is not a "performance boat persay, just curious as to what the demand is like on something like this and if going into winter has a great deal to do with the lack of interest.

Here is a link to my ad:

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o18669-en.html

Any advice, critique's etc., are welcomed.
Thanks fellas!

Truthfully - the price for what you are getting is probably a GREAT deal.

I think 4 things hurt it - at least for me would.

1. I have never heard of that name brand
2. Bottom Paint
3. No Trailer
4. Fall/Winter is coming in an already horrid boat market. Could take JUST the right buyer. At least you don't have a loan on it.

Best of Luck - looks like a neat boat. I looked at it the other day when you linked someone to it.....
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Bottom paint is a huge turnoff. Not that you should hide the fact that it has been kept in the water, but the majority of performance boats are not kept in the water. I'd have it pulled, and have the bottom paint removed and gelcoat restored. Have the gelcoat repair work done. No one wants to spend money on a boat they just bought.

Also, to be bluntly honest, the cabin looks dirty; if its supposed to be white vinyl. If its a darker tan/beige, then you need to point that out. You need brighter pictures, and you can't have too many pictures.

You also have a lot ALL CAPS in your ad, stating no warranty and no trailer. While the no trailer thing is logistical, you can be more friendly about it. You could offer assistance in fitting the boat for a trailer, and you could price out a Nextrail or something similar, and offer the trailer with the boat for an additional cost. As for the NO WARRANTY in all caps; it definitely would spook me into thinking "what's wrong with the boat that he wants nothing to do with it forever?" People want to buy from a friend, and have a friendly, pleasant transaction. They will steer clear of a deal with a boat-load of caveats. Boat sales are down, period. Now its coming into the off season. You may want to start advertising what you would sell it for in the spring, which is probably a cheaper price, since you might not sell it until then anyhow. Right now every used boat buyer knows he has time and season; and therefore his price on his side. Hopefully interest rates are going to become friendly here again soon as well.

Thanks Sideways. I appreciate your candor.
true, the bottom paint sucks, but was on there when I got it. If I need to remove it I can but we are not talking about a big expoense. If I was trying to get near even low retail i would have it taken off, but I am priced thousands under that.
teh inside is a textured kiind of viunyl, I agree, I thought it looked dirty from the pics when I bought it but it really is nice. no rips, no stains, clean and kept conditioned.

No trailer and no warranty is in there becasue I copied that from my eBay auction I had on it. not trying to hide anything, but on eBay you need to be VERY clear on such things.

true boat sales are down, I just figured pricing it well, it should sell anyway. true, it is a buyers market this time of year and with the rates as they are, but this boat is priced GREAT! At least I think so. Thanks for all the feedback!! I really appreciate it!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Truthfully - the price for what you are getting is probably a GREAT deal.

I think 4 things hurt it - at least for me would.

1. I have never heard of that name brand
2. Bottom Paint
3. No Trailer
4. Fall/Winter is coming in an already horrid boat market. Could take JUST the right buyer. At least you don't have a loan on it.

Best of Luck - looks like a neat boat. I looked at it the other day when you linked someone to it.....
Thanks SFG....
Mach 1 was baught by Baha Cruiser's in the late 80's I believe.

True, the bottom paint is awful, like I said in my post to sideways, I figured with my price being so low that there was plenty of room in there for the buyer to do that. If push came to shove and a seller really hated the bottom paint. I have room in there, I would take care of it for him.

True, no trialer I know hurts it. So hopefully someone local at LOTOP will want it, most that stay there allt he time dont really need a trailer but having one is nice... until you consider storing it!

True... hey thanks for the feedback, this is the kinda stuff I need to hear, thank you guys!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of advice so far that I'd agree with 100%

Some

No trailer is a turnoff to most people that aren't in a place where there's only one place to boat. Get the gel damage you listed repaired- definite turnoff on an otherwise nice boat. Bottom paint eliminates a huge pool of buyers. You need WAY more pics taken on a nice sunny day. Talk more about the most expensive part of the boat and the source of most problems- the engines & drivetrain. Lots of pics here. Tell about the meticulous maintenance, etc. Service records from a marina are a big ++.

Get a title. USCG doc is a turnoff to the average guy. Most boat owners don't even know what it is.

All sales are final and as-is on private transactions unless otherwise specified in writing. If someone doesn't know this, that's not your problem.

To mirror what has already been said, nobody wants anything but a steal in the Fall. And, that's in years that boat sales are NOT in the toilet. It's a lesser-known brand and sort of a specialized configuration. People want mostly performance boats or cruisers. Not everyone wants to go fast with 20 of their closest friends.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Too much detail...

Get to the point- your boat looks nice but I was depressed after reading every little detail about it..

People want to be excited about buying a new to them boat- it is good to be honest and not hide any thing but get them interested before spilling every little detail.
Good point- I don't want to read a book- not right away anyways. Hit the highlights, tell the story with pics. Have the details available- maybe a detailed spec sheet in one of the pic slots.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Too much detail...

Get to the point- your boat looks nice but I was depressed after reading every little detail about it..

People want to be excited about buying a new to them boat- it is good to be honest and not hide any thing but get them interested before spilling every little detail.
Really?? ok, wow, I thought I should try and put as much info as I can in there to help answer all questions before they are asked. I am SO not a sales guy...

It was a pretty glooomy day when I snapped the pics... I will try and take some new ones this weekend. Thank you for the advice!!
Mark

Last edited by eichhoma; 09-25-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the bottom paint just looking bad, you are also likely to have people who are scared of what may be hiding under it....like blisters.

If you spend the $ to have it removed, that will take that uncertainty away.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered

Yeah, I suppose I should just have the bottom paint taken off and fix the gel spot by the bow eye. In doing that, I doubt I will move much on the price. Guess we will have to see how it goes. I gotta figure that a person looking into this boat is familiar with it and realizes how far under book it is. I am certainly not trying to make money on this thing.
Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

Quick Reply: Need advice on selling my boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.