Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   SEA DOO 951 SBT BRAND NEW MOTOR any ideas (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/170668-sea-doo-951-sbt-brand-new-motor-any-ideas.html)

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 03:20 PM

SEA DOO 951 SBT BRAND NEW MOTOR any ideas

Kidz blew up the sea doo in july (ran without oil)and took it in for a new motor ,spent 2500.00 for a new SBT motor w/2yr warranty and install and was ready for pick up saturday.Took it to the river to break it in and put 1.3 hours on it and the motor is knockin & ready to let loose .any ideas ??? had oil in resevoir,put 1 quart of oil in gas tank with 15 gallons . fouled out 4 plugs in 1 hour so i figure she was rich enuf,plugs are pitted from detonation and boat shop says motor is warranty but 1100.00 for labor again. i believe they did'nt set timing but they insist sea doos are fixed with key way.i cant open the motor or my warranty is VOID.any ideas guys ????:p

Griff 10-08-2007 03:26 PM

You having to pay for labor again is BS!!!!!!! Its certainly not your fault the engine was a POS. They should have water tested it. If you paid with a credit card, dispute the charge NOW!!!

copiercat 10-08-2007 03:54 PM

SBT stands for ,sorry bout that !!
no shop is going to warranty labor on a rebuilt motor from someone else. there is a company just down the street from sbt that does a much better job and i believe will pay for labor to replace if found to be their fault and their $100 cheaper.http://www.pmcna.com/

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by copiercat (Post 2299343)
SBT stands for ,sorry bout that !!
no shop is going to warranty labor on a rebuilt motor from someone else. there is a company just down the street from sbt that does a much better job and i believe will pay for labor to replace if found to be their fault and their $100 cheaper.http://www.pmcna.com/

I dont believe it was SBT fault at all , i think the repair shop did'nt set the timing right .i did pull the oil pump today and ran it on a drill and it pumped a 5 gallon bucket in no time . Seems the boat shop is coming up with excuse after excuse and another customer showed up this morning with a blown up ski with only 10 hours:cool-smiley-011:

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 2299311)
You having to pay for labor again is BS!!!!!!! Its certainly not your fault the engine was a POS. They should have water tested it. If you paid with a credit card, dispute the charge NOW!!!

NO CC , paid in green , he claims he water tested for a a couple and ran out of gas so he put a quart of oil in the gas tank incase there was an air bubble in the oil line.Anybody had the same luck ???

jeff1000man 10-08-2007 06:29 PM

Drop in a Small block stroked 383 with a hood scoop :D:ernaehrung004:

TexomaPowerboater 10-08-2007 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING158 (Post 2299507)
NO CC , paid in green , he claims he water tested for a a couple and ran out of gas so he put a quart of oil in the gas tank incase there was an air bubble in the oil line.Anybody had the same luck ???

Maybe its got too much oil. My old sea doo has an oil tank separate the gas. I would think any additional oil in the gas would cause it to not run right.

Fire the mechanic.

Mercury_Challenger 10-08-2007 07:31 PM

The best thing to do is to buy a crate 951 from Sea-Doo, cost a bit more than an SBT engine but you will get life out of it, and great service. SBT engines have about a 60% failure rate and are highly known for failure. They are a good alternative source for the do-it-your-selfer, you can get an engine fairly cheap, but don't expect any duration out of it. I have purchased a few in my time from them and they are known to re-use gaskets, gobs of blue glue where gaskets should be and other shotty work that is just not acceptable. You have a few options.....fix it and sell it or buy a sea doo engine, kick SBT to the curb if you plan to keep it. My dealer will not even touch an SBT engine.

Mercury_Challenger 10-08-2007 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2299528)
Maybe its got too much oil. My old sea doo has an oil tank separate the gas. I would think any additional oil in the gas would cause it to not run right.

Fire the mechanic.

SBT says to do this for break-in, its part of their procedure!

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 07:38 PM

Fire the mechanic.[/QUOTE] Is putting it nicely,He has changed the story again and said we should have put a new oil pump since it had 100 hours on it .If it needed it should have done it and put it on the bill .Dropping it off at a different shop tonite :cool-smiley-011:and we'll try it again

Mercury_Challenger 10-08-2007 07:50 PM

The oil pump and injection is probably fine, I have never seen them go bad in all my day of wrenching on skis. 100 hours on that ski is not a bunch, it should last 400+ with no problems period if its serviced correctly. Are you sure it was ran with no oil??? My bet is on the SBT engine, seen way way way to many let go within the first few hours of riding them. One thing you have an option of doing is a oil block off kit,, premix it and you will never have to worry again, piece of mind.....but remember the kids might have problems adding oil to the gas, good solution to that is 5 gallon containers premixed on the dock for when they need it. Get ready to shell out some serious cash for an oil injection set-up.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger (Post 2299600)
The best thing to do is to buy a crate 951 from Sea-Doo, cost a bit more than an SBT engine but you will get life out of it, and great service. SBT engines have about a 60% failure rate and are highly known for failure. They are a good alternative source for the do-it-your-selfer, you can get an engine fairly cheap, but don't expect any duration out of it. I have purchased a few in my time from them and they are known to re-use gaskets, gobs of blue glue where gaskets should be and other shotty work that is just not acceptable. You have a few options.....fix it and sell it or buy a sea doo engine, kick SBT to the curb if you plan to keep it. My dealer will not even touch an SBT engine.

Thanks for the input,guess i should have asked questions a lil sooner :p

Mercury_Challenger 10-08-2007 07:53 PM

Anytime you guys need a hand on skis, holler...........had them for years and have done about everything to them that can possibly be done. SBT has a good sales spill, but if their product was as good as their sales spill they'd be an awesome company.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger (Post 2299633)
The oil pump and injection is probably fine, I have never seen them go bad in all my day of wrenching on skis. 100 hours on that ski is not a bunch, it should last 400+ with no problems period if its serviced correctly. Are you sure it was ran with no oil??? My bet is on the SBT engine, seen way way way to many let go within the first few hours of riding them. One thing you have an option of doing is a oil block off kit,, premix it and you will never have to worry again, piece of mind.....but remember the kids might have problems adding oil to the gas, good solution to that is 5 gallon containers premixed on the dock for when they need it. Get ready to shell out some serious cash for an oil injection set-up.

MC the original motor they did run the ski out on oil and stopped before she knocked too bad & came apart,the new mechanic im heading to tonite says the same,the pump is fine he has put 2 & 3 motors in skis with 400 hrs and they still have the orig pump in them. the brand new motor had inj oil full and 1 qt in the tank for good measure .premix can be a problem with the kidz as we have burned a few motors on the dirt bikes.thnx for the help

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger (Post 2299633)

MC the original motor they did run the ski out on oil and stopped before she knocked too bad & came apart,the new mechanic im heading to tonite says the same,the pump is fine he has put 2 & 3 motors in skis with 400 hrs and they still have the orig pump in them. the brand new motor had inj oil full and 1 qt in the tank for good measure .premix can be a problem with the kidz as we have burned a few motors on the dirt bikes.thnx for the help

Mercury_Challenger 10-08-2007 08:22 PM

Anytime....if the new mechanic shoots you a line you are concerned about let me know, I'll do my best to help ya. Its possible you might get away with a top end job on the existing engine in it right now, they can tell when its torn down and inspected.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-08-2007 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger (Post 2299680)
Anytime....if the new mechanic shoots you a line you are concerned about let me know, I'll do my best to help ya. Its possible you might get away with a top end job on the existing engine in it right now, they can tell when its torn down and inspected.

SBT has another motor on the way and is paying the shipping,but i eat the labor in & out once again.:cool-smiley-011:

jeff1000man 10-08-2007 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by RUNNINHOTRACING158 (Post 2299794)
SBT has another motor on the way and is paying the shipping,but i eat the labor in & out once again.:cool-smiley-011:

You could put it in yourself and that would give you a chance to take it apart and check it for flaws, maybe.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-09-2007 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2299843)
You could put it in yourself and that would give you a chance to take it apart and check it for flaws, maybe.

BIG BLOCK CHEVY YAH !!!!!! jet ski motor not a clue :cool-smiley-011:

racer-x6 10-09-2007 07:02 AM

If I recall SBT recommends removing the oil injection pump and installing a cross over line and plug that they sell. I would call SBT direct and verify this. If so the shop did not do the job right.

LapseofReason 10-09-2007 07:03 AM

What shop is charging 1100 for an install ? My shop has an $120 an hour labor rate for water craft and we still put in longblocks for 400-600 depending on the craft. What do you have? We put it SBT engines all the time, I have 2 in my own skis and havn't had a problem. I would say we get 1 bad one out of 30 or so.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-09-2007 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 2299963)
What shop is charging 1100 for an install ? My shop has an $120 an hour labor rate for water craft and we still put in longblocks for 400-600 depending on the craft. What do you have? We put it SBT engines all the time, I have 2 in my own skis and havn't had a problem. I would say we get 1 bad one out of 30 or so.

SOUTHEND BOAT SHOP in Frankfort , he said he spent 32 hours on the SEA DOO since they normally only work on Kawasakis
.its a SEA DOO Millenium :p

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-09-2007 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by racer-x6 (Post 2299960)
If I recall SBT recommends removing the oil injection pump and installing a cross over line and plug that they sell. I would call SBT direct and verify this. If so the shop did not do the job right.

THNX will call there tech line this morning:cool-smiley-027:

pkspx 10-09-2007 08:16 AM

I dunno about SBT, I have heard same situations as yours. BTW SBT now have their own forum, check it out see if someone can help you.

http://www.sbtontheweb.com/forum/

Mercury_Challenger 10-09-2007 10:00 AM

The last SBT engine I installed was a 717 in my speedster, I think it hit me up for like $800 + core. The usual labor rate for an engine install should be no more than $400 tops, thats doing a good deal of labor on it at that rate. Thats tune issues and everything.

copiercat 10-09-2007 11:02 AM

ups just brought a warranty engine from sbt, the first one blew up after about 5 hours of run time,it was out of warranty by a couple of weeks and they still honored it,i will say that about them

LapseofReason 10-10-2007 07:15 AM

Take it to another shop if you have to pay anyway, that would be a $500 swap at my shop. And we would chop the labor in half just to help out if the motor let go in that short of time.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-10-2007 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by copiercat (Post 2300226)
ups just brought a warranty engine from sbt, the first one blew up after about 5 hours of run time,it was out of warranty by a couple of weeks and they still honored it,i will say that about them

SBT /Justin said on the phone yesterday they will take the motor apart when they get it and analize the problem and call when report is done,sounds like they'll be wanting to sell me another motor even though i bought a 2 yr warranty

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-10-2007 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 2301234)
Take it to another shop if you have to pay anyway, that would be a $500 swap at my shop. And we would chop the labor in half just to help out if the motor let go in that short of time.

Wish your shop was a bit closer , Sounds like he overcharged a bit but now he seems to be avoiding the shop phone, and wont pick up the cell now for 2 days :p

copiercat 10-10-2007 08:43 AM

justin analized mine and never said nothing about what happened, they just said a new one was shipping out,i had put a brand new oil pump on the motor "just because," im taking it off and going to run pre-mix from now on. i know they have a No-Fault warranty even if you didnt have any oil in it, which is not bad for a company to honor but i have heard of crappy builds that dont last from them from my local dealer as they dont use sbt anymore for the same reasons your stating

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-10-2007 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by copiercat (Post 2301328)
justin analized mine and never said nothing about what happened, they just said a new one was shipping out,i had put a brand new oil pump on the motor "just because," im taking it off and going to run pre-mix from now on. i know they have a No-Fault warranty even if you didnt have any oil in it, which is not bad for a company to honor but i have heard of crappy builds that dont last from them from my local dealer as they dont use sbt anymore for the same reasons your stating

sounds like premix is the way to go but with 4 boyz i can see them forgetting to put in MIX...thnx for your help:p

WILD 1 10-10-2007 09:41 AM

We install sbt motors all the time, never had any problems. But, we don't deal in sea-screws just yamaha. Prob 100 or more over the last couple of years never had a problem. We always use the oil block off set up. The most expensive is $1100 labor but, thats with carb and power valve work.

P.S. we've been selling honda's since 2002 and haven't seen any problems other than simple stuff.

LapseofReason 10-10-2007 03:02 PM

One of mine is pre mix only and the other two have pumps but I still put in a qt. of Motul 800t oil in the tank every fill up. and I have no plug fouling problems.

RunninHotRacing163.1 10-10-2007 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by LapseofReason (Post 2301803)
One of mine is pre mix only and the other two have pumps but I still put in a qt. of Motul 800t oil in the tank every fill up. and I have no plug fouling problems.

sounds great i'll have them leave the pump and premix also
thnx for the help

pp185xlt 10-19-2007 05:40 PM

i would not get rid of the oil injection system. the only problem i have ever seen with them is the clear plastic hoses break and you starve the engine of oil. but, with a new engine in you should have new hoses. it sounds to me like the guy you had do it the first time didnt know what he was doing and missed some crucial points, one being bleeding the oil injection system and another would be adjusting the oil pumps ratio. timing on a seadoo is not adjustable so he didnt mess that up. i have installed many sbt engines and have not had one problem. i know we did send one back, but the customer had tried installing it himself. As much as it sucks having to pay the labor for another one, you should have been informed that right away.

avantisps.com 02-27-2013 12:59 PM

as a dealer i have talked to a few people who have got cracked motors from sbt...and havent ever really heard to many good things about them...i do deal with them myself and have only purchased 1 motor so far...the ski has many other problems so havent checked motor out yet. I will be ordering more from them soon...to much oil could cause it to not run right but it sounds like the dealer did something wrong to me....and im doing a 951 as we speak and yes it does have a counter balance inside that has to be timed

avantisps.com 02-27-2013 01:05 PM

i am kind of new to the waverunner industry all though we have worked on many already....if u check some other forums there is a guy they call the 951 guy cause thats all he does...cant think of his name at moment but he can answer any and every 951 question u have...he knows his stuff
or you can email us and i am not a mechanic myself but can generally diagnose problems quick and i do it often on skis and motorcycles so we can try to help u out....im working on about 6 seadoos 2 yamahas 2 polaris and 2 yamahas right now so i may be able to help you while im doing these

avantisps.com 02-27-2013 01:06 PM

and i can get you parts and may have some if you need them [email protected] is email or just drop the sales and thats my website.

Sydwayz 02-27-2013 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by avantisps.com (Post 3876025)
i am kind of new to the waverunner industry all though we have worked on many already....if u check some other forums there is a guy they call the 951 guy cause thats all he does...cant think of his name at moment but he can answer any and every 951 question u have...he knows his stuff
or you can email us and i am not a mechanic myself but can generally diagnose problems quick and i do it often on skis and motorcycles so we can try to help u out....im working on about 6 seadoos 2 yamahas 2 polaris and 2 yamahas right now so i may be able to help you while im doing these

Welcome to the board, and 6 years ago. :D

SBT? Been there, done that.

pstorti 02-27-2013 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 2299299)
any ideas guys ????:p

sell the f'ing thing!