Like Tree0Likes

Why Apache are so expensive?

Reply
Old 10-17-2007, 03:36 AM
  #91
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Here and There
My Boats: 36' Apache
Posts: 1,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefApache89 View Post
Awwww, look at the baby sleeping on the bench....cute!

We put about 23 hours from Aug 24 to Oct 8, so not too bad for only having the boat 6 weeks!
Yeah the sleeping baby was last Sunday. Great day, 80 degrees plus. We were on our way back from a watering hole that has a beach for the kids and he crashed out as soon as I flipped the toggles and hit start. My wife was sitting next to him and I told her to get a pic.

He actually slept like that a couple weeks before when the OSS national championships was overwith and we had the snottiest washing machine water of the season.

We are so glad that we found our apache!
baywatch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:03 AM
  #92
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippM View Post
A 65 Corvette Gran Sport?
Offtopic.
Check my spelling and youīll get it...or if you donīt you aint a car freak.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 AM
  #93
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefApache89 View Post
No, he hasn't taken it to the limit yet because we didnt' go out in big water. There's a lot to learn with that, so we took on some 2 to 4's and 3 to 5's and want to try to ease into it.

We've only owned the boat less than two months. Next season (now that's she's out for the winter) we'll push her a little more, and a little more.

Itīs more than wise to not rip everything out with the family.

So seems not many drop the hammer here owning pelasure versions but just cruise with them.
Just wonder at those mellow speeds if a Formula 419 SR-1 couldnīt run just as good.
I bet they will with the proper operator.

Looks etc is the another thing but like I said before Thereīs a Big difference between a normal commuter and a Racer...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-17-2007 at 05:34 AM.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 AM
  #94
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
PTM'S Express. Phil Mashinski.





Eric....
My all time Favourite of them 47īs.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 AM
  #95
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
thanks for correcting me and further making my point...
Offtopic.
Nope..you didnīt get it...if you want the original youīll get a AC Cobra...a Mark4 it is nowadays as AC is the true factory who designed and completed the whole program.
Shelby just advertised and took credit of completing one and changed the name in US to Shelby Cobra back in the 60īs.
Brits did and designed the whole car from zero in the early 60īs and had it ready before shipping the first example to Shelby less engine and trans.
Now you wouldnīt find it a surprise if the Cobra didnīt run on itīs own power in secret in Britain first and not at Shelby american as itīs so well touted everywhere...just like ZR-1īs was run in secret first in Britain by Lotus and then had to be scrapped..problem is the Brits never scrapped them but made only a written statement they did (Don Aronow wouldīve called that outsmarting Iīm sure)..

Shelby had just a thought and was a helluva salesman..just like Don Aronow.
So If you want an originalhereīs a tip :
Itīs made in Britain and is called a mk4 AC Cobra as thatīs how long AC had to wait to get the credit and rights to do the real thing.

Corvette is a genuine American Sportscar or was until 1983 at least...I donīt think Mark and Lucy disagrees on this

topic

Regarding Apaches then IMO there can be bought genuine ones from McManus as he was building the 41īs in the beginning and after the split with "Bob And Ben" Bob is continuing with all up to 36īs and McManus stayed with Ben and later got all the rights for Apache.
He surely can build one according to the original buildplan, has the molds and also can build an updated boat too if anyone wants one.
Regarding a True Apache (if McManuses arent counted) in my eyes it has to one from the timeframe where Bobby and Ben was together building boats and Don Aronow was alive and giving his guidance to the projects, that narrows some a lot or what?
Those up to early 87īs are the only ones and especially the racers that can command a higher price as a boat or a project if being in somewhat condition if we really draw the bottom line.
Otherwise itīs just as the Cobra story where Ol Shel sues everyone that dares to mention the C word despite the fact he doesnīt have his heart in it anymore...(heīs on his third heart..second transplanted..)
So thereīs another snakecharmer in my eyes...

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-17-2007 at 06:13 AM.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 AM
  #96
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
Offtopic.
Check my spelling and youīll get it...or if you donīt you aint a car freak.
I already figured it out as there's only two Corvette Grand Sport roadsters and neither one needs restoration.
TrippM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:13 AM
  #97
Registered
 
el indio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
My all time Favourite of them 47īs.
AMERICAN PIE................
Attached Thumbnails
Why Apache are so expensive?-14.jpg   Why Apache are so expensive?-vette.jpg  
el indio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:31 AM
  #98
Registered
 
Queenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fairport Harbor OH
Posts: 2,423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
Itīs more than wise to not rip everything out with the family.

So seems not many drop the hammer here owning pelasure versions but just cruise with them.
Just wonder at those mellow speeds if a Formula 419 SR-1 couldnīt run just as good.
I bet they will with the proper operator.

Looks etc is the another thing but like I said before Thereīs a Big difference between a normal commuter and a Racer...
We hammer her down, just don't stay in it for miles at a time. It's not worth blowing the motors. Can you stay in it enough to pass your friends and enjoy the fun and razzing of it later? Yes you can.

Blowers are new to us. When we started looking at boats I told my husband no way on the blowers. Hmmm, didn't win that one. I also told him no old boats. Hmmmm, lost another one! However, our motors, done by Tommy at Chief, are so set up in our boat that us, along with many of our boating friends, are surprisingly pleased at how well they run and operate.

Do I know that one day something's going to happen that's going to cost us some money? Damn it, yes. But like I said earlier, there are always trade offs. My husband is smart enough to keep up on the maintenace of what it takes to keep the motors in good running condition, change the drive fluid every 20 hours as told, etc. More mainteance....but we have more boat, so to us it's worth it. To some, it isn't.

By the way, changed our name from rastinger to ChiefApache89. The Chief avatar just didn't go well with rastinger:-)
Queenie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM
  #99
Geronimo36
Gold Member
 
Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Elkton, MD
My Boats: 36' Apache Warrior / 22' Apache Scout
Posts: 11,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
Regarding Apaches then IMO there can be bought genuine ones from McManus as he was building the 41īs in the beginning and after the split with "Bob And Ben" Bob is continuing with all up to 36īs and McManus stayed with Ben and later got all the rights for Apache.
He surely can build one according to the original buildplan, has the molds and also can build an updated boat too if anyone wants one.
Regarding a True Apache (if McManuses arent counted) in my eyes it has to one from the timeframe where Bobby and Ben was together building boats and Don Aronow was alive and giving his guidance to the projects, that narrows some a lot or what?
Those up to early 87īs are the only ones and especially the racers that can command a higher price as a boat or a project if being in somewhat condition if we really draw the bottom line.
Otherwise itīs just as the Cobra story where Ol Shel sues everyone that dares to mention the C word despite the fact he doesnīt have his heart in it anymore...(heīs on his third heart..second transplanted..)
So thereīs another snakecharmer in my eyes...
I can agree with that......which is all the more reason why they are rare and have been demanding higher prices.....

McManus "officially" owns the Apache rights as of what, a few years ago?? Much time has passed since the 80's and window of opportunity to keep the name alive has has past IMHO. Also, McManus hasn't built any Apache's, he's built "Commanche's" and spent the rest of the time refurbishing the older "Apaches". Now that he has the official rights, they are again "Apache's". Also, he never built the boats, he was in charge of operations and given control of the company when the government seized everything....from what I remember.

Again, all this history, heritage etc. adds to the aura of owning one of this pieces of offshore racing history.... AC Cobra, Shelby Cobra, what have you....they are both RARE and SOUGHT AFTER, which typically demands a higher price. If people don't find value in that, they simply don't purchase one, OR they just complain how expensive they are.

And a 1995 37' OuterLimits "on average" is demanding a higher resale than a 1995 36' Apache ($80-110K vs. $115-160K).... Both boats are no longer in production by either company.....but I know where the 37 OL molds are...the 36' Apache molds are cut up....
Panther is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 PM
  #100
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 454
Default

As long as an Apache exists, the option for a mold exists too!
excalibur32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DelawareRiverRunner
General Boating Discussion
51
10-02-2005 05:57 PM
bouyhunter
General Boating Discussion
21
07-10-2005 07:25 AM
alj
Formula
39
09-24-2004 05:00 PM
WetKitty42
General Boating Discussion
27
05-26-2004 07:35 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.