Why Apache are so expensive?

Notices

Why Apache are so expensive?

Old 10-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
This sums it up right here.
You think the 288GTO is one of the most beautiful Ferrari's ever, cuz that's what you crazed when you were younger... just like you probably drooled on the apaches's at the same era. Nothing wrong w/ that... i agree.
But if i see a 1960s GTO... wow.

Same w/ classic cars... all about teen lust.
I agree a Pontiac GTO is nice...got a 65 Gransport conv. in the garage waiting for restoration
But itīs 2yrs older than me!

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-15-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by baywatch

It's sort of like the jeep ads that say "it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." The pride that I feel in my boat can't really be explained with words. It is what makes a guy want to pull his boat out on 45 degree January day, uncover it, and clean it.
Now hereīs a soulmate !
Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Regarding a brand new 41 Apache...look at Saber or the new Papache at Pantera so sure you can get one or close enough as possible and theres also McManus.
You can buy a Shelby Cobra "kit car" and put it together yourself or buy one complete but you'll be hard pressed to find an "original" Shelby Cobra.... And when you do you better expect to lay some cash down on it if you want to buy it......
Old 10-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baywatch
You hit the nail on the head with that one. When I was a kid I remember when I first saw 47' Medicine Man. After that I knew that I wanted to own an Apache some day.

Once I started shopping for my own boat I did what very few people do and that was that I waited until I found exactly what I wanted and I waited until I could afford it (I didn't want to start with 29' baja and work my way up). For Three years I checked all of the classifieds daily. Then on 10-2-2006 I drove 600 miles to pick my baby up. I remember it like it was yesterday. Next to marriage and the birth of my son it was one of the happiest days of my life. I had accomplished one of my goals in life, to own an Apache.

It's sort of like the jeep ads that say "it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand." The pride that I feel in my boat can't really be explained with words. It is what makes a guy want to pull his boat out on 45 degree January day, uncover it, and clean it.
Great post baywatch. That sums it for my husband as well. He had his 31' Stinger for 10 years and thought he couldn't afford an Apache. To him, that was THE boat to own. And today he does. He never thought he'd own one. While I wasn't as excited as he was, I am so totally sold on this boat after riding it in rough water that I am just as hooked as he is.

In the end, the bigger power has/is going to cost us more. It's a give and take, as with many things. My one comment to Rob when we were looking at boats was when we were in 3 to 5's I didn't want the snot kicked out of me and wanted to feel safe.

I have that....and more!
Old 10-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back int the 80īs you couldnīt get any I mentioned ?
A full kevlar and the works 377 or anything, You must mean domestic?
Sure there was you just had to dig it up just like nowadays if you want a something custom made and wait for it...LS wasnīt known for fast deliveries either but custom only.
I think LS was a lot harder to get convinced to to build a boat for you than Kramer at the time. He didnīt need to make any noise of himself.

Now italian made billet cleats...
I wouldnīt touch them with a stick..or trust them for the matter Italians and all the southern europeans are generally the laughing stock when it comes to quality in manufacturing in Europe.
Style and Opera is their forte not craftmanship
IMO Italians are good at metal foundry especially aluminum and machining but when it comes to billet Iīd look elsewhere although Iīm quite alone even with admitting they are good at even that.

Regarding Sutphens well guess nobody asked them to build a "high tech" boat..surely the skill is there and well the style, thats a personal thing.
The bottom in a Sutphen has all that Apache has and maybe then some IMO.

I know the website is up for Teamscarab ..but try to order one...
Nocando since a few years back and the latest news on the site is over 4yrs old, ask MikeJ here for further details as heīs the only one here you might get some info regarding LS/Team Scarab.
Besides LS is over 70...

Regarding a brand new 41 Apache...look at Saber or the new Papache at Pantera so sure you can get one or close enough as possible and theres also McManus.
Back in the 80's. Scarab was a Wellcraft brand and LS was building raceboats, not custom yachts. Sutphens were rare and oddly styled. The one's I had were solid but not built anything like any of the 4 Apaches I've ownerd- and there was neither a sense of style or attention to detail, not to mention any hint of anything other than utilitarianism in their finish. as far as Italians and how they make things- that's a pretty general statement that could be applied to any country's production. I've had some German and Swisss-made stuff that was utter junk. I sell and service a good deal of Italian-made machinery and some of it is better engineered and constructed that anything we make here in its class. Don't forget Tencara- builder of America's Cup winning boats as well as many UIM raceboats. Had they been building them here, Skater may have never existed.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
You can buy a Shelby Cobra "kit car" and put it together yourself or buy one complete but you'll be hard pressed to find an "original" Shelby Cobra.... And when you do you better expect to lay some cash down on it if you want to buy it......
Well OlīShel also makes glassfiberbodied "Shelbys" with CSX VIN prefixes...and the thruth be told the First with engines and the works was AC assembling one.
Shelby was a kitcar maker right from the start.... If you want an original you get a AC Cobra.

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-15-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormrider
This sums it up right here.
You think the 288GTO is one of the most beautiful Ferrari's ever, cuz that's what you crazed when you were younger... just like you probably drooled on the apaches's at the same era. Nothing wrong w/ that... i agree.
But if i see a 1960s GTO... wow.

Same w/ classic cars... all about teen lust.

Still love driving this car as mach as I did 25 years ago when I got it.
Attached Thumbnails Why Apache are so expensive?-2006-09-10-1707-10.jpg  
Old 10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Back in the 80's. Scarab was a Wellcraft brand and LS was building raceboats, not custom yachts. Sutphens were rare and oddly styled. The one's I had were solid but not built anything like any of the 4 Apaches I've ownerd- and there was neither a sense of style or attention to detail, not to mention any hint of anything other than utilitarianism in their finish. as far as Italians and how they make things- that's a pretty general statement that could be applied to any country's production. I've had some German and Swisss-made stuff that was utter junk. I sell and service a good deal of Italian-made machinery and some of it is better engineered and constructed that anything we make here in its class. Don't forget Tencara- builder of America's Cup winning boats as well as many UIM raceboats. Had they been building them here, Skater may have never existed.
If you wanted a custom Scarab Team Scarab built it in the 80īs...not Wellcraft and you could have one... like a 43 with Lambos and Arnesons if you wished.
So thereīs Customs..by LS/Team Scarab.
And their race records speak for volumes.

Regarding Sutphens looks I think of old Magnums especially the rear section...odd there too like a 28 Maltese for example...well itīs up to personal taste but to me they look purposeful/utilitarian like you say and fill the task, no nonsense there to please anyone except the operator. Just like a Porsche vs. a Ferrari.
I like also the look of Apache..you canīt call them sleek by anymeans with their racehatches and fairings either honestly, can you..more like RAW.
If you want style and finesse you better turn to Italy / the old continent IMO.

Saying something italians make better than US doesnīt surprise me as USA is mainly considered a massproducer and the finishes of itīs mass products do leave a lot to desire and usually fall short in international competiton, but thank god for the domestic market.

Like I said... I have found Italians do a lot of good stuff..and a lot of halfhearted efforts, specially when software and electrics come into play, utter rubbish.
Fine craftsmen they are just like anyone whoīs devoted, but I know from personal experience how frustrating it is to start a long CNCprogram 5-6 times a day/every day from the start/(emergency)shutdown and set all up when a combined mess of Microsoft and Italians are mixed, seems they have an inbuilt function to force the operator to have 17cups of coffee a day and the boss twice that.
And when you finally get the factory technician to come from italy and take a look at the problem (on WARRANTY) all he can do is the typical italian hunch of his shoulders and look stupid.
I also hate when my Nokia crashes...or my German built MAN Truck gearbox throws the towel..but give me a Eaton Fuller and Iīm happy unless I have to pay for the fuel...

Well you must be glad Nautor, MasMar and Victoryboats are where they are if you think Tencara is a threat...guess you just agreed there on something regarding quality

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 10-15-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rastinger
My one comment to Rob when we were looking at boats was when we were in 3 to 5's I didn't want the snot kicked out of me and wanted to feel safe.

I have that....and more!
Seems Rob hasnīt taken the Apache to itīs limits yet and has been nice to you
Old 10-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Well OlīShel also makes glassfiberbodied "Shelbys" with CSX VIN prefixes...and the thruth be told the First with engines and the works was AC assembling one.
Shelby was a kitcar maker right from the start.... If you want an original you get a AC Cobra.

thanks for correcting me and further making my point...

Quick Reply: Why Apache are so expensive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.