Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum? >

What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum?

Notices

What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum?

Old 10-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that's what the technical forums were for???

Caleb
Old 10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Registered

I have been reading these forums for a couple of years before I joined. The one constant in the oso forums is that I have never seen anybody put down for size, equipment or price of there boat by the oso members. Not going to comment about registerd trouble makers they are put in there place very quick.The only time the sharks circle is when a registred newbie posts a single complaint about a service or product or makes a rude comment on a project. I by no means have expensive boats. My boats have been baskets cases either rotton or mechanically shot or both. The only way I can afford this sport is to rebuild them myself. I have read a wealth of info here to help me do this. A single thread to post on is a great idea. I would like to help others with my personal experiences. Just my .02
Old 10-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 850 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by timewarp
I thought that's what the technical forums were for???

Caleb
It's not an indexed formal forum, and some of the threads morph into something else making it hard to search sometimes. They are also dated and cycle as other posts come up making for time consuming searches.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by OSO
Please tell me what you think this section should be called and what exaclty is the description to see where we might place it.

I am still surprised that people feel they can not post because their boat is not expensive enough. I have never seen a reason why anyone should feel this way based on the way others treat them. Am I missing something?
As far as what to call it, Maybe something like "Typical DIY Procedures". Maybe the way you could set it up would be similar to the Videos section where you have the favorites or the better postings set apart from the rest so they don't get lost in the archives.

I myself have gotten a weath of information by reading back through the years of problem solving that have been posted up. I think something like this might be a good idea. The one that jumps to my mind the most as a model for a great post that should be keep in that memorable area was the post from the guy replacing his transom last year he posted up pictures of every step along the way. I don't think that I would ever try that myself but I am sure that there are many of the guys out there that would be thankful for having that at their disposal. Anyway there is my two cents.

John
Old 10-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,049 Likes on 274 Posts

Good Idea
Old 10-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Michael1
I agree that there are two camps but I would add another, there are those who seem to have lot's of money to afford the big new boats, then there are those who can afford the average priced boats and then there are those who have to make due with what they can afford on a small budget. One one thing that is the same is that we are all still boating no matter how much money we have or haven't. Your idea is good and it sounds like a lot of other boaters agree with you.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed last week I couldn't post more than 3 pics within the same topic. I assume this would have to be addressed?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I noticed last week I couldn't post more than 3 pics within the same topic. I assume this would have to be addressed?
that does not make sense can you email us more specifically what happened, did you get an error message?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tech questions are tech questions and something can be learned from reading them- whether they're about a $5,000 motor or a $50,000 motor. We're already breaking the board up into too many forums. One more just makes it harder to see. Plus, how many guys with the right answers may not stop in and look at the posts?

I see plenty of beer-budget-type discussions in the existing tech forums now.

Just my opinion.

P.S. You want to improve the site? Come up with a better search function. Something with some advanced functionality and the ability to find a specific post, not just showing how many threads have one particular word buried- sometimes in 30 or 40 pages of posts.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 10-21-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
What's needed is a tutorial on 3rd party photo hosting. You put the pics on their server, copy the "embedded link" and your photo appears on the site. Plus it doesn't eat up OSO's server space or bandwidth.

I use this one- http://s38.photobucket.com

You can host thousands of pics and it's free. Plus if you have GIF's that OSO's system only displays as links, the pic shows when you 3rd party host. You can also embed videos in your threads.

Quick Reply: What Do People Think About a "Budget/DIY" Forum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.