Light weight full cover material? >

Light weight full cover material?

Notices

Light weight full cover material?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 AM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weight of the materials varies quite a bit for the materials mentioned. Sunbrella is the only one that supposedly breathes and is a little over 9oz/yd. Aqualon is in the same weight range and is a coated polyester so doesn't breathe, so would have to be vented as mentioned. Triton is a sister product to Aqualon but lighter around 6 oz/yd, but is is discontinued. Stamboid doesn't breathe either so would have to be vented. I have been using a solution dyed acryllic that is in the 6 oz/yd range so is one of the lightest, but in all my covers I add the vents. Hope this helps. BTW the Carrie cover is nothing more than a light weight dust cover.
John
Sunrise Upholstery
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lakeluvr
The weight of the materials varies quite a bit for the materials mentioned. Sunbrella is the only one that supposedly breathes and is a little over 9oz/yd. Aqualon is in the same weight range and is a coated polyester so doesn't breathe, so would have to be vented as mentioned. Triton is a sister product to Aqualon but lighter around 6 oz/yd, but is is discontinued. Stamboid doesn't breathe either so would have to be vented. I have been using a solution dyed acryllic that is in the 6 oz/yd range so is one of the lightest, but in all my covers I add the vents. Hope this helps. BTW the Carrie cover is nothing more than a light weight dust cover.
John
Sunrise Upholstery
John,
How much would a full cover for a Top Gun weigh in that material? Approximate cost? I'm looking for something for next season that isn't a pain in the azz to put on while on the lift. Maybe something that would rest about 12" below the rubrail....

Craig
Old 11-05-2007, 10:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Craig:
If you got 12" below the rub rail you can get a fade line..... Not so much if you are totally painted but definetely if you have gell..... Happens with my donzi...
Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

you are saying that carriecovers are not waterproof???????
Old 11-05-2007, 12:49 PM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by lowblue320
The ones I've seen are not. They are light weight material like parachute material. Mainly just a dust and bug cover. And expensive at that.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 PM
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by OldSchool
John,
How much would a full cover for a Top Gun weigh in that material? Approximate cost? I'm looking for something for next season that isn't a pain in the azz to put on while on the lift. Maybe something that would rest about 12" below the rubrail....

Craig
If you are talking about the lighter weight material, and if my math is correct is should weigh about 12 lbs. Check my website for details on how my covers are made. The drawstring ends up being almost 12 inches past rubrail. PM for pricing info, hate to discuss on the open forum. Thanks.
John
Old 11-05-2007, 04:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by lakeluvr
If you are talking about the lighter weight material, and if my math is correct is should weigh about 12 lbs. Check my website for details on how my covers are made. The drawstring ends up being almost 12 inches past rubrail. PM for pricing info, hate to discuss on the open forum. Thanks.
John
I'll call you tomorrow, thanks...
Old 11-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

What are the new Formula covers made of? Seems to be good material, but may be to heavy for a full mooring cover.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:44 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

John, thanks for the great info. Craig hows it goin? I have the same challenge, need a light weight full cover for FL to put on while the boat is on the lift. I did a cover a couple yrs ago, maybe Oddessey?, vinyl covered and it stuck to the deck, started mildew etc. Didn't work out too well. I think I may just stay with Sunbrella and keep it short, close to the rub rail. Thanks for the responses!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lowblue320
They make both a lightweight one that's not, used for a dust or poker run type use and their "hydro-shield" ones are water resistant and can be used for day to day outside use.

http://www.carriecovers.com/fabrics.php

Quick Reply: Light weight full cover material?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.