Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
38? The Best Ride In The Rough >

38? The Best Ride In The Rough

Notices

38? The Best Ride In The Rough

Old 11-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
I agreed with EVERYTHING you said up until the second paragraph...

Until I learned why the Team boat ran that way in that video I too thought the same thing...
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...4&postcount=76
The 41 was in many ways like the Cig 35. Tabs were a planing aid. As far as drive trim, it doesn't appear to be rooster-tailing too much. I'm sure Bobby had issues coming out of corners but in that flattish water, he'd have had tabs up and the boat trimmed out mid-way. Team was WAY lighter than Warpath.

But then again, who the hell am I to seciond-guess Bob Saccenti?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
But then again, who the hell am I to seciond-guess Bob Saccenti?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jassman
Where were you...we also had a blast..I got my phone wet and it didnt work so I was unable to call a few people when down. Catch U next time.
Jeff you got your wet in 43 Nortech??? I guess we can scratch that one off the short list!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BillR
IMHO, the only other boats that I rode that had a ride close to the TG was the Donzi 38ZR, and the Fountain Executioner.
Say what?

Oh, I just noticed your signature.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys all make good points, but you're forgetting that the DRIVER'S SKILL can make or break the success of the ride. A good driver knows how to drive around a boats' weaknesses in specific water conditions. A great driver can make almost any boat behave.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
You guys all make good points, but you're forgetting that the DRIVER'S SKILL can make or break the success of the ride. A good driver knows how to drive around a boats' weaknesses in specific water conditions. A great driver can make almost any boat behave.
i have always believed that, thats why you should never take somebody's word on ride quality i do my own comparison,
and if you listen to everyone on OSO, every boat on here rides awesome in 8 footers :
Old 11-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
great point...
Old 11-17-2007, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Best ride in rough - Cigarette Top Gun TS.

No weird "issues" that you have to drag tab or drive it a "special" way. Doesn't have all the Fridge, a/c, toilet and etc that is going to break. Doens't rattle or have build issues.
And you can't beat re-sale. EVERYONE wants one, and everyone knows about them.
There are alternatives than a 38 TG, but don't take my word for it, go drive all the boats everyone recommended, then drive a Cig. Make sure the water is rough.
Before I bought my TG, I rode every boat I was or might have been interested in. Saw that 99% of what I read on here on OSO about how certain boats were to be "rough water boats" was hype.
IMHO, the only other boats that I rode that had a ride close to the TG was the Donzi 38ZR, and the Fountain Executioner.

Ok, time for:

Sydwayz, why does every post you make about AT sound like "Skippy Slick Promotions"? LOL

Obviously you missed the thread when OSO Steve acquired my buddy's 3 1/2 year old 38 Powerplay with 400 hours/ 10,000 GPS miles on the hull with a/c, genny, fridge and flat screen TV. He made a bet nothing would break on the boat on a Lauderdale 6-8 ft seas day running the boat hard.

Moral of the story, everything was in place after the ride including the flat screen TV. I have run the 38 PP/ 525 boat and it rides like a Cadillac compared to a 38 TS TG but the Cig is definitely worthy competition.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:10 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Obviously you missed the thread when OSO Steve acquired my buddy's 3 1/2 year old 38 Powerplay with 400 hours/ 10,000 GPS miles on the hull with a/c, genny, fridge and flat screen TV. He made a bet nothing would break on the boat on a Lauderdale 6-8 ft seas day running the boat hard.

Moral of the story, everything was in place after the ride including the flat screen TV. I have run the 38 PP/ 525 boat and it rides like a Cadillac compared to a 38 TS TG but the Cig is definitely worthy competition.
I have NEVER ridden or driven a Powerplay, thus it would not right for me to comment one way or another. Until I do ride one - I am sticking with my last statement as it is based on boats actually ridden. But, I have heard PP's are sweet riding boats and I'd love to ride one.
As far as threads here on OSO, you will NOT get the real story on a boat on OSO. One day you'll want to sell your boat - any negative comments will haunt you at resale time. Thus most posts are not the real story. There arn't many boats that will REALLY handle 6 - 8 foot seas, I know "I" wouldn't want to be out in that. Some OSO members that say brand "X" will handle 6 - 8 foot seas are embellishing the moment.

Thus some posts on OSO about how boats ride are SO full of "hype" you never know what to believe.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 11-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I have NEVER ridden or driven a Powerplay, thus it would not right for me to comment one way or another. Until I do ride one - I am sticking with my last statement as it is based on boats actually ridden. But, I have heard PP's are sweet riding boats and I'd love to ride one.
As far as threads here on OSO, you will NOT get the real story on a boat on OSO. One day you'll want to sell your boat - any negative comments will haunt you at resale time. Thus most posts are not the real story. There arn't many boats that will REALLY handle 6 - 8 foot seas, I know "I" wouldn't want to be out in that. Some OSO members that say brand "X" will handle 6 - 8 foot seas are embellishing the moment.

Thus some posts on OSO about how boats ride are SO full of "hype" you never know what to believe.

I agree 100% except in this case the post was written by OSO Steve who has had several Powerplays (2 of which were 38's). Steve is extremely fair when giving his opinion on the boards.

Quick Reply: 38? The Best Ride In The Rough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.