Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why do we pay highway tax for gas in our Boats? >

Why do we pay highway tax for gas in our Boats?

Notices

Why do we pay highway tax for gas in our Boats?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbojack
You might want to recheck into that. I believe Texas does refund tax money.
I'll do that.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas does refund tax. I have filed for it in the past. One year it was easy, the next they wanted more info, log, receipts, etc. and took almost 3 months to get. You can choose whatever 12 month period you want, it doesn't need to be a Jan - Dec. calendar year. It is about 25 or 30 cents per gal you get back.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured the road use tax we pay at the marina was for the truck that used the road to get it to the marina.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by McGary911
I believe that in NJ, if you buy at the gas dock, tax is not added to the pump price, so you're getting raped even more than you thought......what's gas tax in NJ these days? 12.5 cents?

I'm under that impression as well.... Even ran into a situation a while back where a marina had a pump up on land....they shut that pump down because they would be required to pay road tax if the pump was located on land.

The tanks can be on land but I believe the pump has to be on the dock....

So basically, we're paying 15% more on the water but in reality it's probably more like 30% with the tax not being taken by the state...

Oh yeah....I heard that NJ wants to impose a "property tax" ....on our boats/RV's...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phastenuf
Texas does refund tax. I have filed for it in the past. One year it was easy, the next they wanted more info, log, receipts, etc. and took almost 3 months to get. You can choose whatever 12 month period you want, it doesn't need to be a Jan - Dec. calendar year. It is about 25 or 30 cents per gal you get back.

Do you remember what forms are needed?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I figured the road use tax we pay at the marina was for the truck that used the road to get it to the marina.
now thats funny
Old 11-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Registered

I didn't fill my boat at a marina once this summer... highway gas 100% as it proved to be cost effective and allowed me peace of mind in knowing that I was getting fresh(er) fuel.

According to the chart posted on page1 of this thread, NJ state gas tax is third lowest at 10.5 cents per gallon with mandatory full service stations (for insurance purposes). Alaska is cheapest at 8.0 cents per gallon probably due to the oil pipeline that runs through the state and Wyoming at 9.0 cents per gallon. Connecticut takes the prize for raping it's travelers at 36.0 cents per gallon.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89
According to the chart posted on page1 of this thread, NJ state gas tax is third lowest at 10.5 cents per gallon with mandatory full service stations (for insurance purposes).
It's all good....they just make it up by charging us fifty cents on the parkway every couple miles, $7 at most bridges and lord knows what on the NJ Turpike.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89
I didn't fill my boat at a marina once this summer... highway gas 100% as it proved to be cost effective and allowed me peace of mind in knowing that I was getting fresh(er) fuel.
Same here brother, so far I've had NO need to fill up at a marina.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

You're not kidding. I just saw on the news that Gov. Corzine is putting a plan together to raise the parkway & other tolls to help reduce the state's deficit. It never ends...

Originally Posted by Panther
It's all good....they just make it up by charging us fifty cents on the parkway every couple miles, $7 at most bridges and lord knows what on the NJ Turpike.

Quick Reply: Why do we pay highway tax for gas in our Boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.