Charter Member #1492
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call Smith and check out a Phantom.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:31 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
I am beginning to like AT a lot, but you cannot go wrong with a 31SS or 28SS Sonic. Even the 26 that I have is comparable to all the boats you mentioned, as all Sonics have more room than any other boat in each size, and they all handle like they are bigger.

Brian
Old 01-27-2002, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I just bought a '99 AT 28' last month with twin 350MagMPI's. Although I was looking for a custom-builder boat- (the Pantera and Sonic was in the running as well) I did look at the possibility of buying another Formula (29') with twin SBC's. I would highly recommend the Active Thunder- if they won't put big-blocks in it for you, I bet a pair of Scorps would get it 80 MPH. Run 'em out of warranty then WhippleCharge, and you have big block power with the reliability and economy of a SBC. Too Old might have some input on the Pantera, both single and twin BBC.
IMHO, as far as a 29 Baja being a "lot bigger boat" than the 28 AT, I don't think so-my boat was sitting next to a 28'Apache at the AT factory and made it look small- the 28 AT also has an enormous amount of freeboard and a large cabin.
You won't find any better people to deal with than Pat and Steve either!
Old 01-27-2002, 08:14 PM
Registered

They will put twin EFI500`S in the Pantera.Joe Nunez with Pantera it will do 94 on GPS. Have not asked the others yet.Waiting for Miami,cause sometimes pics cannot replace looking at the real deal.
Old 01-27-2002, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Speed2lead, all excellent choices, all very close in money also. You need to take a ride in the Pantera and A.T., it appears speed is what your after. Just from some of the articles that I have read though, that twinn big blocks traditionally have a heavy handling trait, where you might be better off getting twinn small blocks and whiplling them, less expensive, and will also be quicker. Before I purchased my A.T. I checked out Pantera, powerplay, Sonic, Outerlimits and hands down A.T. came up the winner. Better Warranty, room, quality and fairly priced. You can veiw my boat and watch it being built on their website. WWW.ACTIVETHUNDERBOATS.COM go to Latest news and graphics, my boat is RadioActive, call me anytime, and good luck to you 228-255-3400 Jeff Jassby

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: JASSMAN ]
Old 01-28-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

Speed,

Some pretty good boat choices you have narrowed it down to. Twin Hp 500's in a 28ft boat, man you must have some big ones. I would take a ride in both boats if you have not dones so yet. I am a previous AT owner and can attest to the quality of their boats. They have great freeboard, you will feel secure and they handle the rough stuff very well. Pat and Steve at AT will take very good care of you, and will customize your boat as much as you like. I also saw the 28 thunder in the AT shop next to the 25. It looked huge next to it. The cabin was very spacious and comfortable. Yes, JAFO I was walking around your boat. hehehe. You are looking at two great boats, and I have only been in the Thunder. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-28-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

Speed,
Go with the 28AT , single big block, with a box . I would shy away from Merc power and go with something custom. A 800hp motor in that boat would be awesome, forget the twin big block set up in a boat that size.
Just my suggestion
Old 01-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you for your interest in our line of boats.I offer our 28 in a single , twin I/O,or outboards model. When it comes to power options for the 28 we are unlimited.The 28 with twin 500 efis will run a GPS speed of 94 MPH.I Offer a lifetime warranty on our glass work to our origial owners.We build the entire boat custom made and can drop the cockpit floor and do any style cabin lay out you may choose.The 28 has a 6 1/2 foot v-berth and a large wrap around seating area with ample storages and porta potti.We can do any other options you like in the cabin.I will run you out in the ocean and show you how the boat handles in big water if you are interested.If you need any questions answered please feel free to call me here at the factory or email me at [email protected]
Old 01-28-2002, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by thunderdan:
<STRONG>I also saw the 28 thunder in the AT shop next to the 25. It looked huge next to it. The cabin was very spacious and comfortable. Yes, JAFO I was walking around your boat. hehehe. </STRONG>
Hey- I didn't walk around in yours!
(The resin and glass were too wet!).....but..... I'll be down there late Feb!

Speed2Lead- go check it out- my AT is at the factory for the remainder of the winter.