Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 AM
scarab
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PADI is the way to go I have the advance cert too
Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Positively go for it. I got mine in June. Procrastinated for decades.
I would take a few shallow dives first before buying anything.
Get a little experience, comfort level, then you will have a better idea what you want to spend the money. IE. wett suit?? what thuickness? BC. ? weights inside? outside? front? back? rear inflate, octo?? etc.. etc..
Old 12-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you have some experience, take the rescue diver course too. Learning to save others helps make you a better diver yourself.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're over 30, I would get a fully comprehensive physical that absolutely includes a stress test. 80' down is a bad place to discover you have problems.

The rescue diver thing is good advice.

I've never seen anyone do it on a civilian basis but the military puts you through a process they call drown-proofing. Drown-panic is a natural reaction and takes substantial work to suppress the triggers. They got us real familiar with what it feels like to drown to the point that we were no longer afraid of it. You then have the clarity of mind to do the things that will keep you alive. It's not pleasant but it will keep you alive.

I would also invest in a good dive computer. I'd rather see real-time info on my actual dive that "planned" decompression from a table. I also believe the PADI tables to be a little agressive. If you're over 30, carrying some extra weight and not at your physical peak, you need to compensate. Compare Navt to pADI sometime and see for yourself. Navy is based on a highly conditioned 20-year-old. Then look at Buhlmann tables.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Registered

if i have chose , i will go NAUI instead of padi, why NAUI have a more strong basic and advance program than any body outhear.
the rescue diver course is good for personal knowledge, but in my experience people try to do so much helping others and become in victims experience, you have to have an experience aquatic ability and a strong physical condition for not put yourself in danger to.

is a great hobby but people have to take in consideration aa lot of health fact to do it safely, dive stores are ability and they will try to sell you what is most profitable for them you have to take in consideration how much you will dive every year, some times is beater to rent the equipment (for a good reputation place) than use something that you have stored for year in tha closet. good luck in your adventure.

ps;
former/
PADI MASTER DIVER INSTRUCTOR
NAUI OPEN WATER INSTRUCTOR
NASE OPEN WATER INSTRUCTOR
OFFSHOE RACE RESCUE DIVER FOR 16 YEARS
FIRE DEPARMENT RESCUE DIVER
EMT
MEDIC FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR
3200 LOG DIVES
Old 12-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Registered

I would also invest in a good dive computer
computers are base in an algorism don't work the same for everybody(don't take in consideration the physical and health condition of an individual)

PADI tables to be a little algorism
this was because a law suit, padi use to used to us the US NAVY dive tables and they are made for someone with algorism physical condition, beside that they have a algorism chamber about of there ship, padi got sue for someone that use the table and got a bend, and he argue that this was what padi teach, so padi cut there bottom time back in there tables
Old 12-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am NAUI certified Rescue Diver.
My son took the PADI course because my instructors went out of business, and I sat in. The 2 courses are similar in many respects but the NAUI is not broken up in as many parts, you get a little more for each level of training and there are less levels than PADI. BUT a huge amount of your satisfaction will be centered on the quality of the instructor. Any cert is only as good as your instructor and how you learn from them. If you have the ability to meet different instructors, find one you like, and can relate to, and you will have a great class.

BTW, my instructors told us a little tidbit that is a good one. Always use the minimum C card that will allow you to dive, either OW1 or OW 2. Never show your rescue or higher card because if something goes wrong on the dive (esp on a big cattle boat dive) you could get included in a lawsuit if you are more qualified and could have theoretically made a difference in a bad outcome. Since so many dive operations in foreign lands are undercapitalized at best, you might be the deepest pocket on the boat.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW, my instructors told us a little tidbit that is a good one. Always use the minimum C card that will allow you to dive, either OW1 or OW 2. Never show your rescue or higher card because if something goes wrong on the dive (esp on a big cattle boat dive) you could get included in a lawsuit if you are more qualified and could have theoretically made a difference in a bad outcome. Since so many dive operations in foreign lands are undercapitalized at best, you might be the deepest pocket on the boat.
Very good point. I can be held liable for ceartain situations or locations/sites due to having a GC license and OSHA training.
I keep it quite with people and at locations where there may be an issue.
I'm not an experience diver yet. About a doz. dives or so, but the rescue class is a good idea. Nothing can help you more (under water, top, in air, or wherever) then a clear head in a crisis. IT boils down to mental disipline, and that's have to be learned most of the time. Hardly ever comes as a natural state of mind for someone.

Good luck and happy diving.
BTW. I'm just North of Tampa, when you ready, I would be interested in diving, just about anytime.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Registered

the difference between PADI and NAUI ;

NAUI WAS CREATED FOR RETIRED NAVY INSTRUCTORS,
base more in discipline and physical condition, base in more strong program for the beginners and advance, that for the upper level.

PADI was created for some of the people of NAUI that want to make more of a upper.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Man, what a great thread. I was considdering taking classes this winter also. Thanks to all for this great advice on here.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.