Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise? >

Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise?

Notices

Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise?

Old 12-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise?

I am thinking of getting SCUBA certified and hopefully talking wife into doing the same. We have snorkeled in the Keys and Cayman Islands and always enjoy that so thought it might be natural progression. I just started research, but I see there are several certifications out there, I know a local outdoor shop does the classes but not sure if there are other/better options. I also see various advice as to what to buy equipment you should buy right away and then the whole new vs. used side. I am not looking to go wide open with newest technology until I see if the hobby sticks but I also realize equipment failure is less then ideal, cause I could drown. :-)
Old 12-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Take a PADI certified course. They are accepted any place that I have traveled. If you want to get into it slow then I suggest you buy your own regulator set up and boyancy compensator (BCD). Depending on were you want to dive you may or may not need a wet suite. They IMO are the most personal peices of equipment that you will use. I am of course assuming that you have your own mask and fins.....

Jon
Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Registered

Just remember breath in breath out. PADI is probably the most widely know and accepted certification and I'll second the advice on the regulator and BCD. Couple extras 1) I learned from an ex seal. Best instruction even. 2) Buy insurance thru DAN. I'm sure that your instructor will offer it but don't dive w/out it. The cost of an evac from a dive alone is huge $'s.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Registered

For recreational diving any sanctioning organization in the big 3 will do. For the technical stuff you will want to do some research on your own.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Registered

As a former PADI instructor, I can tell you that all of the advice here is excellent. What I can also tell you is that getting certified to dive is one of the most pleasant learning experiences you'll ever have. The simple act of being able to breathe underwater is mind-blowing.

Have fun. Be safe, and listen to that inner voice. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

And, as in skydiving, a military-trained instructor is a big plus. They tend to be methodical and have an aversion to cutting corners.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the PADI certification and you will be good to go no matter where you go.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Defintely get certified, it is a great experience and very addicting. I third the advice on the regulator, BC but also recommend the wet suit, it is also used for protection as well as warmth. I personally purchased all my dive equipment from joediver.com, which you can get many deals, and this is a recreational sport where you do not want to cut corners, and by all means don't by used. I have also been a member of DAN for the past few years, well worth the 140 something a year, especially if you get bent.

My most enjoyable dives were in the South Pacific, Moorea and Bora Bora - (shark dives) and looking forward to doing an live abroad dive (boat for 7 days).

Never ascend faster than your last bubble - Happy Diving!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Never ascend faster than your last bubble - Happy Diving!
Last small bubble
Old 12-30-2007, 02:15 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Do it!!!! Additional hobbies to fill the void is always great. Diving is the closest you can get get to walking on the moon. After that, get your private pilots licanse too...
Old 12-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

My wife and I got certified together back in the 80s. When we completed our cert we went to a different shop then got our advanced open water cert. Our dives are mainly deep so the added class was a huge plus. I you like diving I suggest going for the advanced cert too.

BTW, we used PADI. Was an outstanding experience.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting SCUBA Cert. advise?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.