Notices

OSO virus?

Old 01-28-2002, 12:39 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Question OSO virus?

I received 2 Emails from OSO members about a "Virus Warning" one included instructions on repairing your computer and one had a downloadable file attached to it. I had traded Email with one of the people in the past but never with the other one, I also noticed many OSO members in the mailing lists of both Emails so I don't think I am the only one to receive them.

Are these Email warnings Legitiment?
Old 01-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was the name of the virus? I got an email awhile back about a virus and to check if it was in your hard drive. It was an .exe file (which I have heard people say are all viruses). I posted the letter on here and a lot of people said it was a hoax and actually a file that your computer needs. There is a web site you can look to see if it is on. Check out these:
http://www.research.ibm.com/antiviru...ospot.html#ToC
http://vil.nai.com/VIL/hoaxes.asp

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: nauti girl ]
Old 01-28-2002, 01:21 PM
Registered

I received the same email without the attachment from someone I have exchanged email with, but got it in the mail box I don't normally use. Nauti Girl- I don't remember which virus you posted about, but there was a fraudulent virus warning going around that told people to delete a certain file that is required by the OS of your computer. If you deleted the file, your computer would fail to operate. The best way to go is to get a virus scanning software that checks your email in both directions- inbound and outbound, so you don't get or give a virus to someone else. I actually did get an email this morning with an attached virus, (W32.Badtrans.mm) but it was caught by my software and deleted. I checked the sender and it was a phony email address.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: David ]
Old 01-28-2002, 01:26 PM
Kohldog

Lee, DON'T open the attachment! If it's a real virus the sender may not even know that their computer automatically sent you the e-mail. There's also a hot new virus that was just found called My Party. If anyone sees this delete it right away and let the sender know. Here's the details on it.

BODY:

Hello!
My party... It was absolutely amazing!
I have attached my web page with new photos!
If you can please make color prints of my photos. Thanks!

Virus Behaviour:

Worm logs onto default dial up connection and searches through users address book and then send itself to members of address book using its own mail engine.

Payload:

Sends email with the attachment www,myparty,yahoo,com

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Scorpion260 ]

Old 01-28-2002, 01:29 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
Nauti, It was the SULFNBK hoax which tells you to delete a file in your computer.
Thank you very much for the information.

p.s. I never open attachments.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:59 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I don't know, but I was just notified by a board member of the SULFNBK.EXE virus. After deleting it off of every computer here, I then forwarded it to all the people that were in my address book. What a freekn mess.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts
I was also contacted by two people off OSO today!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-28-2002, 02:18 PM
FWK

I did the same sorry guys. I would not have sent it on except that I knew the person who sent this to me and the other people it was forwarded to. Forrest

Old 01-28-2002, 05:54 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

I had the same thing. What gives?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 01-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Banned

I got it from two other sources also, neither of them associated with OSO. It is a hoax, the virus is actually the warning telling you to delete something That way it can't be picked up by virus scans. Thank goodness it didn't say to delete a file that was really needed.

Quick Reply: OSO virus?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.