Like Tree0Likes

Tulip intake valves again

Reply
Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
  #11
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My Boats: Checkmate 281
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwrbt33 View Post
What do you have for ignition boxes on this boat? Do you set total or do you set initual and add the boxes to it? Also how did you adjustt the valves? All food for thought. And do you have vacuum secondarys or Mechanical?
I checked the ignition boxes the other day, and what a suprise I got, one is a V-8- 24, the other is a V-6-14, so I know that I will need to get at least one new box, like I said I got the boat last year and it ran fine for a while, and then problems, I was setting the total time to 34 deg, however maybe I'll back that down to 30 deg. the plugs all looked good, untill I statred having problems, then I would check them they would be wet, not fuel wet, water wet, what I think might have happened was the first time I ran it hard, I blew it up, it was a head gasket, and the second time maybe timing, or pre-ignition
inthered is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
  #12
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)
 
Strip Poker 388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison,Mississippi
My Boats: Hustler 388
Posts: 21,567
Default

Anybody know if water from leaking exhaust tulip a valve?
__________________
.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Strip Poker 388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388 View Post
Anybody know if water from leaking exhaust tulip a valve?
Yes that could happen. But... It's more likely that it's tuliped from heat because of a lean condition... then, once it's tuliped the valve never seated right (obviously, LOL) combine that with an aggressive cam and it will suck water back while idling back to the dock.
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:14 PM
  #14
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My Boats: Checkmate 281
Posts: 24
Default

Okay, I think I got the right answer, it seems to me I am experiencing a brain fart, you are all right and Iím wrong (along with a bunch of my friends) I think itís pre ignition and not reversion, when it was running good I was told that I needed to be turning more RPMís, I was running about 4800, I was told that I should be about 5800 RPMís, seems like too much, but I said okay let me re-adjust the timing, I did and the was on the trailer again, Oh and by the way just got out of the hot tub with the wife and a few beers later, so I hope that I make sense, if not have a d ink, anyway I will let my timing to 30 deg, and see how it runs in the spring, I just love my boat, I also hope that all of you at OSO have a great, fun and fast season in 08
inthered is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:00 AM
  #15
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
Okay, I think I got the right answer, it seems to me I am experiencing a brain fart, you are all right and Iím wrong (along with a bunch of my friends) I think itís pre ignition and not reversion, when it was running good I was told that I needed to be turning more RPMís, I was running about 4800, I was told that I should be about 5800 RPMís, seems like too much, but I said okay let me re-adjust the timing, I did and the was on the trailer again, Oh and by the way just got out of the hot tub with the wife and a few beers later, so I hope that I make sense, if not have a d ink, anyway I will let my timing to 30 deg, and see how it runs in the spring, I just love my boat, I also hope that all of you at OSO have a great, fun and fast season in 08
4800 is a bit low, probably need to be in the low 5000 range... but, low RPM's could come from a million things (props, engine alignment, etc). good luck regardless
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 AM
  #16
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cincinnati, ohio
My Boats: 1999 Mystic 32 cat
Posts: 607
Default

At what RPM are you checking the timing?
bobkatz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 AM
  #17
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My Boats: Checkmate 281
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatz View Post
At what RPM are you checking the timing?
Timing checked @3000RPM
inthered is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:43 AM
  #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cincinnati, ohio
My Boats: 1999 Mystic 32 cat
Posts: 607
Default

I'm going back 20 years but I thought full advance was well above 3K. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can chime in.

Katz
bobkatz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 AM
  #19
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
OldSchool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Florida
My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently
Posts: 10,094
Default

I'm not a mechanic or anything, but if there was reversion...wouldn't that effect the exhaust valves from the cold water hitting the hot valves??????

I think that he said that it's just the intake valves that are getting tulipped.
__________________
I can't talk about it right now, it's being handled by the Postal Inspector. Those guys don't mess around!

Last edited by OldSchool; 01-03-2008 at 09:02 AM.
OldSchool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM
  #20
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatz View Post
I'm going back 20 years but I thought full advance was well above 3K. Hopefully someone who knows for sure can chime in.

Katz
Without using a book (hazy memory) I think the range is 2500-3000 RPM so that should be ok
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Pat Ousborne
Fountain
2
10-20-2008 12:59 PM
Pat Ousborne
Fountain
3
08-05-2008 09:10 AM
mkulikow
General Q & A
7
04-27-2006 01:00 PM
pb
General Q & A
11
09-14-2003 10:56 AM
WETTE VETTE
General Q & A
2
03-13-2002 08:58 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.