Is BLISTERING a bad thing? >

Is BLISTERING a bad thing?

Notices

Is BLISTERING a bad thing?

Old 01-28-2002, 09:00 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blisters are BAAAAD. I wouldn't ever look at a boat that was blistering. Blistering is a sign that water is penetrating the hull. The water will peneterate, but because it can't escape, it will continue to build up. The small blisters will continue to grow until eventually the boat is destroyed. True, the small ones are cosmetic, but they are a sign of things to come.

BTW-I have also seen blisters form where the boat sits on the bunk. The carpeting holds the moisture against the hull and it never dries out.
Old 01-28-2002, 09:02 PM
Registered

hey cord.. your boat had a BIIGGGG blister ddin't it just playin cord
Old 01-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Charter Member # 302
Charter Member

RUNNINGHORN,
Using a small blade, "pop" a few of these blisters and let me know if it is dry or if it has a yellowish liquid coming from it. Feel free to call me at work, Progressive Boat Works, at 804-748-3694.You are still looking at $4,000 to $6,000 depending if bottom has to be "peeled".
Steve
Old 01-28-2002, 09:36 PM
Registered

RunningHorn. Any boat with blisters, just walk away. Some things to consider. First, at some time you will have to sell the boat, and that cuts your chances by 50%. Second is, that could also be an indicator of how well the owner took care of the boat(or not). If it just sat in the water all the time (ie. blisters), what about the outdrive and other external stuff.

Bob
Old 01-28-2002, 10:47 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
OUCH TRAVIS!!!

I would not buy a boat with Blisters in it. You will have a hard time getting rid of them.

Jon
Old 01-28-2002, 11:39 PM
Registered

I her your worries my boat has some but, only on the painted graphics below the water line. Got them fixed looked good but it back in the water they came back. Velocity covered the work under warranty. Blisters on gelcoat it self is bad, but dad has a boat in florida which had blisters with water, had to have the whole bottom redone.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:26 AM
Intolerant1

Blister are a sign of water within the glass matt. If the boat freezes over the winter, the water expands and can effect the structural strength of the hull.

Old 01-29-2002, 05:37 AM
Registered

Ah, blisters. A little thing I’ve had the misfortune of learning a whole bunch about over the last 2-1/2 years. Based on everything I’ve read and experienced, blisters are a result of a defect of some form or another. Period. Pure and simple, a boat built correctly and it’s lay-up schedule strictly adhered to (and adjusted for constantly changing climate conditions) should not blister. It has been proven that boats blister even when not exposed to water (see David Pascoe’s site). The presence of water simply accelerates the visibility of the defect.

A lot of boat builders recommend that a boat exposed to "extended periods" of water should be barrier coated. That’s simply a warranty clause that gets most builders out of warranting something that is very difficult to control and manufacture consistently. Try and get one to define what the words "extended periods" mean. They won’t and can’t. It’s there to cover their a$$.

Gelcoat is pretty tricky stuff to apply consistently. Variations in the manufacture of gelcoat & catalyst, how they are combined as well as temperature and humidity during their application are all factors (and there are more). I won’t even discuss the ability and experience of the person who is applying it or the equipment they are using (talk about variables).

Should you buy a blistered boat. Depends. If they are large and impacting the structural integrity of the hull then no. If there are a few small ones and there is no structural implications then maybe. I say maybe, because it depends on the price of the boat and the extent of the blisters. If you find a boat that has a few blisters and it will cost you $6,000 to repair, but you are able to bargain down the price to basically include the repair, I’d definitely consider it. When I say repair, I mean repair the defect that caused the blisters. Again, blisters are the symptom of the actual defect which explains why repairs fail and blisters return.

Bottom line, get it surveyed before you buy it.

My $.02 (keep the change).

Good Luck,
-Chris
Old 01-29-2002, 09:03 AM
Offshore Addiction

Lightbulb

You would be better off staying away from that boat or any boat with blisters. Are you looking for a new or used boat?