Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I Said My Last Goodbye Today... >

I Said My Last Goodbye Today...

Notices

I Said My Last Goodbye Today...

Old 02-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your loss. We have 3 labs, 2 yellows and a chocolate. Skater, Sterling and Sooner. Skater was our first and will be 8 this year. I am dreading that "day" as well but know in your heart you made the right decision due to the illness. I worked as a vet tech for 5-6 years and quality of life is way more important than anything else. You unfortunately as a "dad" knew when it was time. You will never forget but time does heal.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim, I know you've probably read this before but it helps for you to know you did the best thing and the right thing.

Ten Commandments for Pet Owners

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years or more. Any separation from you will be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me. Do not break my spirit with your temper, though I will always forgive you. Your patience will teach me more effectively.

3. Please have me spayed or neutered.

4. Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for your kindness than mine. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. After all, you have your job, your friends,your entertainment, I only have you.

5. Speak to me often. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me. Your voice is the sweetest sound I ever hear, as you must know by my enthusiasm whenever I hear your footsteps.

6. Take me in when it's cold and wet. I'm a domestic animal and am no longer accustomed to the bitter elements. I ask for little more than your gentle hands petting me. Keep my bowl filled with water. Feed me good food so that I may stay well to romp and play. By your side, I stand ready, willing and able to share my life with you, for that is what I live for. I'll never forget how well you've treated me.

7. Don't hit me. Remember, I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I've been out in the sun too long, my ear may hurt, or my heart may be getting weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old. For you will grow old, too.

10. When I am old, or when I no longer enjoy good health, please do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having fun. Just see to it that my trusting life is taken gently. And be with me on that difficult journey when it's time to say goodbye. Never say, "I just can't bear to watch it."

Everything is easier for me when you are there. I will leave this earth knowing with my last breath that my fate was always safest in your hands. I love you.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim,

After we talked today on the phone this morning

Thought I would show you the wifes child that she makes me take to our shop on cold days

I turned around while we were on the phone and just shot these
Attached Thumbnails I Said My Last Goodbye Today...-p1070510.jpg   I Said My Last Goodbye Today...-p1070513.jpg  
Old 02-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for your loss Sharkey.

1991 we had to put our black lab Kicki to sleep. The first year was actually really hard. But now days she shows up in my sleep from time to time. And she looks like always, smart and happy.

Dogs are simply the no1 pet.

Take care

Mange
Old 02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry for your loss
Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Registered

Tim,

Sorry to hear about this......I had to do the same with my lab last year...she was 16....always with me as well everyday of my life, work or werever I went....

I know how you feel and its been over a year now ....try to always remember the good times...you know they always did !!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tim,

As you and I talked about this morning we have inmortalized Jake with a little bit of humor

Hope you like it
Attached Thumbnails I Said My Last Goodbye Today...-magazine-last.jpg  
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hang in there Bro'. It's one of those things that makes us men.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

sorry for your loss.
Our black lab is 11 and we just found out today that he has cancer
Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry about Jake.
You will always have those special memories that you shared in your shop with him. I'm sure he was a great inspiration and a good listener when you had to vent.

Quick Reply: I Said My Last Goodbye Today...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.