Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any deals on Florida water access Properties? >

Any deals on Florida water access Properties?

Notices

Any deals on Florida water access Properties?

Old 05-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much would taxes be for a foreigner? I hear they are pretty damn expensive.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
EXACTLY, it's one thing beng able to afford the property, it's a whole 'nother deal paying the taxes and property ins.!
Dean
Tell me about it, even just north of 7 figs its not the home price I care about, its the insurance/property taxes now that are making me cringe , everything is so screwed up thanks to this pos RE boom. I'm remember right before the boom you could grab a 4K sqft house here just off the intracoastal for under around 600-700K with prop taxes around 5-10K, now the same house is close to 2 mil even in this declining market with prop taxes at 35K+. My buddy just pad 34K on a 3K sqft house 4 lots off the waterway.

Thats whats sad b/c the middle class has been completely killed off here, obviously this area is big into boating and middle class families before the boom could easily afford the homes, now.......
Old 05-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Tell me about it, even just north of 7 figs its not the home price I care about, its the insurance/property taxes now that are making me cringe , everything is so screwed up thanks to this pos RE boom. I'm remember right before the boom you could grab a 4K sqft house here just off the intracoastal for under around 600-700K with prop taxes around 5-10K, now the same house is close to 2 mil even in this declining market with prop taxes at 35K+. My buddy just pad 34K on a 3K sqft house 4 lots off the waterway.

Thats whats sad b/c the middle class has been completely killed off here, obviously this area is big into boating and middle class families before the boom could easily afford the homes, now.......
you dont pay tax on the amount you give?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by customryder
you dont pay tax on the amount you give?
Not sure what you mean? Maybe I misunderstood lol
Old 05-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered

Property Taxes in the State of Florida are regulated by County, and are different all around the State.
Taxes in the Maimi Dade area for example are right around 1.7% to 1.8% of purchase price.
Collier County (Marco Island/Naples) the taxes are 1.0% to 1.1%.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
How much would taxes be for a foreigner? I hear they are pretty damn expensive.

Thanks,

Rob
Taxes are the same as non-homestead,l about as much.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

Difference between Americans and non-Americans buying is that only US Residents and Citizens can apply for Homestead, which caps your taxes and limits the percentage that property taxes can be raised any given year.
Foreigners re-selling property in Florida also need to be aware of FIRPTA, which is kind of a withholding tax thatcan b dealt with easily by any FIRPTA Qualified Accountant.

Also, if you are buying property in cash (no mortgage), no one requires you to insure your property, it's up to you.

Hope this helps,
H
Old 05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr
Difference between Americans and non-Americans buying is that only US Residents and Citizens can apply for Homestead, which caps your taxes and limits the percentage that property taxes can be raised any given year.
Foreigners re-selling property in Florida also need to be aware of FIRPTA, which is kind of a withholding tax thatcan b dealt with easily by any FIRPTA Qualified Accountant.

Also, if you are buying property in cash (no mortgage), no one requires you to insure your property, it's up to you.

Hope this helps,
H
A whole 25K.....I say we vote for 500K homestead exemp
Old 05-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Registered

The $25K or $50K is not the issue. The issue is that if someone can "Homestead" their Florida property purchase while the prices are down, as they obviously currently are (in some places more than 50% off the peak prices), that person can cap their property tax near to or at the bottom of the pricing curve. That'll make a difference in the long run.
Just my .02 cents.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Foreigners(and investors,2nd homers, etc.) now have help in the form of a 10% cap on tax increases on all property.

Homesteaders still have a 3% cap.

There is a vote in Nov that will further erode the 10% to about 5% for non-HS props. Not likely to pass, but possible.

Falling values also make it much easier to fight your assessment and get reductions.

Let me know if I can help at all in SE Florida.

Quicksilver, I am in LH Point and run my office out of Deerfield. Let me know if you ever need an questions answered or help.

Greg

Quick Reply: Any deals on Florida water access Properties?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.