Like Tree0Likes

Any deals on Florida water access Properties?

Reply
Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 PM
  #41
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto, ON
My Boats: Donzi 35zr, Scarab SCS
Posts: 589
Default

How much would taxes be for a foreigner? I hear they are pretty damn expensive.

Thanks,

Rob
freshwaterfiend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:09 PM
  #42
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Ferry View Post
EXACTLY, it's one thing beng able to afford the property, it's a whole 'nother deal paying the taxes and property ins.!
Dean
Tell me about it, even just north of 7 figs its not the home price I care about, its the insurance/property taxes now that are making me cringe , everything is so screwed up thanks to this pos RE boom. I'm remember right before the boom you could grab a 4K sqft house here just off the intracoastal for under around 600-700K with prop taxes around 5-10K, now the same house is close to 2 mil even in this declining market with prop taxes at 35K+. My buddy just pad 34K on a 3K sqft house 4 lots off the waterway.

Thats whats sad b/c the middle class has been completely killed off here, obviously this area is big into boating and middle class families before the boom could easily afford the homes, now.......
Quicksilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 PM
  #43
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Paducah KY KY Lake
My Boats: 39 Lip-Ship Cigarette 700 Zuls
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Tell me about it, even just north of 7 figs its not the home price I care about, its the insurance/property taxes now that are making me cringe , everything is so screwed up thanks to this pos RE boom. I'm remember right before the boom you could grab a 4K sqft house here just off the intracoastal for under around 600-700K with prop taxes around 5-10K, now the same house is close to 2 mil even in this declining market with prop taxes at 35K+. My buddy just pad 34K on a 3K sqft house 4 lots off the waterway.

Thats whats sad b/c the middle class has been completely killed off here, obviously this area is big into boating and middle class families before the boom could easily afford the homes, now.......
you dont pay tax on the amount you give?
customryder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 PM
  #44
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by customryder View Post
you dont pay tax on the amount you give?
Not sure what you mean? Maybe I misunderstood lol
Quicksilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 PM
  #45
Registered
 
rockstrmkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Marco Island, FL
Posts: 1,326
Default

Property Taxes in the State of Florida are regulated by County, and are different all around the State.
Taxes in the Maimi Dade area for example are right around 1.7% to 1.8% of purchase price.
Collier County (Marco Island/Naples) the taxes are 1.0% to 1.1%.
rockstrmkr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 PM
  #46
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa
My Boats: www.foxxandassociates.com
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend View Post
How much would taxes be for a foreigner? I hear they are pretty damn expensive.

Thanks,

Rob
Taxes are the same as non-homestead,l about as much.
Tampa38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 PM
  #47
Registered
 
rockstrmkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Marco Island, FL
Posts: 1,326
Default

Difference between Americans and non-Americans buying is that only US Residents and Citizens can apply for Homestead, which caps your taxes and limits the percentage that property taxes can be raised any given year.
Foreigners re-selling property in Florida also need to be aware of FIRPTA, which is kind of a withholding tax thatcan b dealt with easily by any FIRPTA Qualified Accountant.

Also, if you are buying property in cash (no mortgage), no one requires you to insure your property, it's up to you.

Hope this helps,
H
rockstrmkr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:12 PM
  #48
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstrmkr View Post
Difference between Americans and non-Americans buying is that only US Residents and Citizens can apply for Homestead, which caps your taxes and limits the percentage that property taxes can be raised any given year.
Foreigners re-selling property in Florida also need to be aware of FIRPTA, which is kind of a withholding tax thatcan b dealt with easily by any FIRPTA Qualified Accountant.

Also, if you are buying property in cash (no mortgage), no one requires you to insure your property, it's up to you.

Hope this helps,
H
A whole 25K.....I say we vote for 500K homestead exemp
Quicksilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 PM
  #49
Registered
 
rockstrmkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Marco Island, FL
Posts: 1,326
Default

The $25K or $50K is not the issue. The issue is that if someone can "Homestead" their Florida property purchase while the prices are down, as they obviously currently are (in some places more than 50% off the peak prices), that person can cap their property tax near to or at the bottom of the pricing curve. That'll make a difference in the long run.
Just my .02 cents.
rockstrmkr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
  #50
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member
 
Cash Bar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the way to a PR near you
My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods
Posts: 11,958
Default

Foreigners(and investors,2nd homers, etc.) now have help in the form of a 10% cap on tax increases on all property.

Homesteaders still have a 3% cap.

There is a vote in Nov that will further erode the 10% to about 5% for non-HS props. Not likely to pass, but possible.

Falling values also make it much easier to fight your assessment and get reductions.

Let me know if I can help at all in SE Florida.

Quicksilver, I am in LH Point and run my office out of Deerfield. Let me know if you ever need an questions answered or help.

Greg
__________________
Your OSO connection to great S. Florida Real Estate.
www.gregsellswaterfront.com
Cash Bar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
teaguecustommarine
New Products and Member Discounts
10
02-20-2008 04:05 PM
25 hors la loi
General Boating Discussion
4
02-08-2006 01:27 PM
Wardey
General Boating Discussion
90
11-02-2005 02:32 AM
WaterAccess
General Boating Discussion
1
06-24-2005 09:08 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.