A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Notices

A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Old 04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
Johnny,I have a little 1 1/4 gal fuel tank I am going to keep to fill it up. I doesn't look like it will be too difficult,Mike
Second GIANT RED FLAG

If the gen is not set up to run off the main ships tank I don't think it's made for that. I hope I'm wrong about the design.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Second GIANT RED FLAG

If the gen is not set up to run off the main ships tank I don't think it's made for that. I hope I'm wrong about the design.
Sparks are obviously an issue with any gasoline engine.This is why I have the vapor sensor alarm (Fireboy-Xintex MB-1),the blower right over the generator (that will run at all times with generator) and the fuel cap on the generator has an open (run) and close switch on the top. Not to mention I am going to crack the hatch open while in operation. Bottom line, you could say that it having the generator fuel tank in the engine compartment is dangerous, but if it is not running ,it does not pose a spark danger in itself, and the drive engine starters and alternators are spark suppressing.So the only time it is an issue is when the gen running and at that time the blower will be running and the hatch is open.Also, the generator will not be running while under way....Make sense?Sorry so wordy Mike
Old 04-01-2008, 03:19 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to ruin the project, but there is a reason diff types of gen's are made. It's all about safety and with gasoline engines, safety is number one.

I'm speaking from several years of experience having owned a very large marina and done everything from a tune up to a $1MM repair on Dave Thomas' Sea Ray 680SS.

Personally, I wouldn't go near that with a 300' pole. Better check with your insurance too.........................???
Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

I own a Honda 2000i generator. Nice and light. Quiet. But not designed to be run in a closed space. I have two questions for you. How did you determine the temperature of the exhaust gas? And, are you sure a 2000 watt generator, rated at 16 amps max, can run a 10000 btu ac unit? And other accessories?

I started a deck railing ON FIRE by running the EXACT same generator you have too close to the ballusters. And this was outside. I'm assuming that it takes more than 180 degrees to start wood ON FIRE. And, I was running the geni in the Eco throttle mode, which is idling most of the time. Your generator is going to be at MAX while the ac is on. I think that silicone hose is going to melt.

I'm not trying to be a dickhead, but I'm really worried about this exhaust thing. I'm telling you straight up, the fire on the deck scared the pants of me. I couldn't believe it.

Good luck and please be safe!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

You would have been better off and safer just running the generator on the swim platform, with a heavy gauge pigtail cord, since you're never running it while underway. Why go through all the hassle and the risk?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

well if anything ever does happen and you file a claim with insurance and they find that was the cause....kiss the boat goodbuy cause they aint gonna pay with NON marine items onboard!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,
That looks way to dangerous for a man with a new baby. I think you should ship the boat out here to me and I will test it for a few years for you. Free of charge even.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pasquesi
You would have been better off and safer just running the generator on the swim platform, with a heavy gauge pigtail cord, since you're never running it while underway. Why go through all the hassle and the risk?
I think I agree with this, but I also respect the amount of thought that was put into it. If it were me (which it's not) I would only run it with the hatch up a foot or so at minimum.

Co2 censors in the bilge and cabin might be a good idea too.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

I have other ideas about the exhaust too, thinking you could use a "venturi" set up to mix the (hot) exhaust gases with cooler air before it exits.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PJDiesel
I think I agree with this, but I also respect the amount of thought that was put into it. If it were me (which it's not) I would only run it with the hatch up a foot or so at minimum.

Co2 censors in the bilge and cabin might be a good idea too.
I agree, but if you are running the a/c, it must be hot out. If the hatch is up a foot in the air, or at all for that matter, how are you going to go swimming and get back in the boat? Unless you don't swim?

Quick Reply: A/C and Honda Gen installed-38'Scarab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.