Notices

Diesels for boats

Old 04-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlane40
Cubic inches always wins when comparing apples with apples.Stirling hit the nail on the head.
I guess you've never lined up against one of the many Supra single turbo I6 powered pro street cars making 2000hp and running 6 second quarters...
Old 04-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Njawb - I have no way to get hard data, I won't lie to you.

The two good V-8's in truck operations failed horriably with a standard trans. The 8.3 DD did well with an automatic trans in a truck, shifting gears killed it - why - I don't know????

The Toroflows I think were just a bad design, again in a truck no-good yet as a higher horse marine engine they were pretty good.

Isotta vs I-6, can't tell you why they failed, just they did, the engines had problems. They may have not been real "engine" porblems as much as accessories like turbos or pumps????

I wish I had real data to give you other than what the end results were, which I know are in-conclusive???

I was wrong and your right stirling the Isottas were V-6, I may have implied V-8. And yes, they were 800 plus Hp, from what I was told basically a stock engine with big fuel & turbos.

I don't know the pump number but you can do alot with the Bosch pumps.

I don't know of a hard way for us to prove this either way.

I will throw in one more big V-8 that you guys should know which again was a disappointment the Perkins or Rolls Royce V-8!!!! Big iron, no power and didn't run long between overhauls, again why???? On paper another great engine that should have set the world on fire, but why not?
Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I guess you've never lined up against one of the many Supra single turbo I6 powered pro street cars making 2000hp and running 6 second quarters...

How bout those 500CI hemis making 7000hp. Hum... 2000hp doesn't seem so much now.

Darrell.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 AM

Roflmao

Originally Posted by DMOORE
How bout those 500CI hemis making 7000hp. Hum... 2000hp doesn't seem so much now.

Darrell.
With 2-1/2 times the displacement and a TBO of one full power pass. The Hemi is more powerful.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 AM

More ROFLMAO

Originally Posted by stirling
Well... not here in Europe ,when the power goes up all the big trucks go to V8 engine,s

Mercedes benz V8 16 litre 551 hp and 2600 nm or 1925 lbs/ftmax

Scania V8 16,4 L 620 hp 2600nm or 1925 lbs/ft max

MAN 16 L 680 hp 2700 nm or 2000 lbs/ft max

out of the box power

those are three popular trucks overhere .the MAN is the most powerfull engine ,next year Scania comes with a 700 hp V8

I work on these truck every day,one guy has a Scania V8 he weight empty 65 ton ,fully loaded 175 ton ( with a 110 ton dragline on the back 110 ft long total) and he kick azz with that thing

I can,t post here ,if I could, I would post a pic of that monster truck combo

The line 6 ,s are for light duty (thats what the truckdrivers use to say here )
Lot's big flashy Euro trash horse power numbers. Aka " metric Horse Power". A Cat C-15 15L will put out 625 hp @ 2050 ftlbs and thats "SAE Net Horse power" (J1349). Thats "as installed" horse power not "stripped down Euro dyno mule" horse power. Thats 745.7 Watt mechanical horsepower not 735.5 Watt metric horsepower. Thats with MANY documented cases of "Million Miles TBO" never heard of Euro trash engines doing that! Now if the Europeans would dyno their engines "As installed" and use real "Mechanical Horsepower" ratings I would quit calling them "Euro Trash"

Originally Posted by stirling
Most trucks are not having one driver overhere but two,while one is sleeping the other can drive the truck, a lot are flower transporters that bring flowers from Netherland to Italy ,France ,U.K,Spain etc so can be up to 1800 miles &1800 back,most do 180.000-200.000 mls a year.

Funny that you mentioned Isotta Fraschini,I have one overhere , its a ID 38 6V SS Isotta Fraschini V6 9,7 Litre 450 hp at 3100 rpm, its a twin turbo ,twin intercooler,year 1986

I don,t have a boat for the engine yet ,I am trying to find a 26 ft hull , I saw a video from Apache /Aronow some time ago ,and there were 3 Isotta,s in the back ,exactly the same engine,s ,does anybody know anything about that ?

I spoke to a guy in the UK ,and he said those Isotta,s were doing around 850 hp in the late eighties ,with bigger turbo,s and pumpsettings ,and injectors .

This engine has a HUGE bosch line fuelpump mounted in the center between the cilinderheads.

Joe ,can this pump modified to support the fuel for that horsepower ?
180,000 to 200,000 miles per year thats a solo driver here in the U.S. Teams can run over 500,000 miles in a year.

Last edited by 29Firefox; 04-22-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 AM

So what?

Originally Posted by Njawb
Don't tell 29Firefox, stirling, but those MAN and Scania V8s have a better horsepower to displacement ratio than the I6, 14.9l Cummins ISX 565.
Agreed in the American truck market the ISX & ISM series engines are the bottom of the heap. CAT C-15s and Detroit Series 60s way out sell the Cummins. One question? Why did you choose the weakest engine on the American market to pick on?
Old 04-22-2008, 04:32 AM

Back to that stone age!

Hey Joe,

Remember what that Chinese Dude said about " If you sit beside the river long enough you will see the bodies of your enemies float by". If you sit in these blog threads long enough you will see old technology come around again on a new engine. Detroit has gone and robbed technology from the Curtis Wright R3350-TC for their new DD15 engine. Get this Detroit is claiming they can scavenge 50 hp using turbo compounding. Wonder if we could just stuff a Napier Nomad in a Big Truck

Ed
Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

29 firefox,

I enjoy everyone's remarks on here, yours as well. I even say some outlandish things from time to time!

500,000 a miles a year, can't be done. In a perfect world a OTR can avergae about 45 mph, that takes into account fuel stops, drivers eating, maintenance, loading and unloading.

@168 hrs per week that is 393 miles a year (perfect world), factor in logs and a little more than half that is all you can actually put on a truck. Even in the old days, 300,000 was monumental and could only be done by certain teams never a company effort.

I think we all got off track here including me and need to remember this is a boat forum and we should be discussing boating issues.

We're all just talking to talk at this point, one of us (me included) or a group of us should get off our a**es and start kicking some gas engine butt like we know we can!!!

Let's take a vote!!

What engine would we start with if we could put a project together today?

I'll start a new thread for this.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Agreed in the American truck market the ISX & ISM series engines are the bottom of the heap. CAT C-15s and Detroit Series 60s way out sell the Cummins. One question? Why did you choose the weakest engine on the American market to pick on?
Have it your way, then: The MAN 16l V8 has a better horsepower to displacement ratio than the Cummins ISX, CAT C-15, or Detroit Diesel Series 60.

Quick Reply: Diesels for boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.