Is anyone expensing their boat? >

Is anyone expensing their boat?

Notices

Is anyone expensing their boat?

Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tony stamis
i can't say who but i know a guy who boat the whole boat with a company check and the new trailer to and all the service parts just hope IRS doesn't come for three years thats what he told me
Generally 3 years statute

6 years if you've omitted more than 25% income

Unlimited if no return filed or fraud - government has the burden of proof to pove fraud.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbr2328
So if my car breaks down on the way to taking some clothes to goodwill can I write off the fuel and repairs?
NO
Old 04-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tony stamis
So Budwiser boat is not a write off i suppose or the bush poker run boat is not a write off or the mercedez boat either.
Budweiser boat - thats all advertising. And their race boats, which can be considered a business. The mercedez boat is being leased which can be considered a business purpose. It might as well be a billboard business.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to find some info on this very subject...
Here is what I want to do....
I am a licensed 500 Ton Master with an Unlimited Master of Towing as well and I already have my own LLC. set up. I was thinking of trying to charter my boat to tourists in my area who would like to ride in a powerboat while here in La.
Now if I do this what would I stand to gain as far as tax write offs are concerned?
I would still use it for my personal leisure but I would actively be trying to make money with it for my company also.......

Chuck
Old 04-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHUCK
I have been trying to find some info on this very subject...
Here is what I want to do....
I am a licensed 500 Ton Master with an Unlimited Master of Towing as well and I already have my own LLC. set up. I was thinking of trying to charter my boat to tourists in my area who would like to ride in a powerboat while here in La.
Now if I do this what would I stand to gain as far as tax write offs are concerned?
I would still use it for my personal leisure but I would actively be trying to make money with it for my company also.......

Chuck
I'm not a CPA, but having done my tax returns for business for years, and here is what I think will happen (check with your tax accountant, of course). You'll have to keep a detailed log of every hour you use the boat for business, and every hour you use it for pleasure. The business use expenses and depreciation will be deductible as a percentage of total hours used, as long as the business makes money within a predetermined period of time (3 years?). I don't know that the IRS will allow a towing service and chartering service to be considered a single business.

Michael
Old 04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks bro. I will check into it a bit further. My company is actually Professional Marine Pilot Service, Inc. I don't actually do towing of other vessels. I am, however, a tugboat captain as well as a licensed captain of any vessel up to 500 gross tons. In short, I can run any kind of boat as long as it doesn't exceed the aforementioned tonnage. I am thinking since the company was formed for my piloting services it may be possible.

Thanks again.

Chuck

Originally Posted by Michael1
I'm not a CPA, but having done my tax returns for business for years, and here is what I think will happen (check with your tax accountant, of course). You'll have to keep a detailed log of every hour you use the boat for business, and every hour you use it for pleasure. The business use expenses and depreciation will be deductible as a percentage of total hours used, as long as the business makes money within a predetermined period of time (3 years?). I don't know that the IRS will allow a towing service and chartering service to be considered a single business.

Michael