Are cats really that dangerous? >

Are cats really that dangerous?

Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wobble
I found one quote from Terry Rinker that mentioned 4-5 g's. I completely agree that it appears that the champ boats are generating amazing cornering speeds, however if g-force is a measure of cornering speed in a given radius then a higher number would mean a higher speed?
Not necessarily. The g's you pull depends on your velocity and the radius of the turn. The tighter the radius, the higher the g's at a given speed.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
10 TO 12 FOOTER'S....AND NOBODY THAT WAS IN A SKATER GOT A DROP ON THEM!!!!!!
I will say from being in that run that is was brutal for a lot of the boats and it was pretty funny when Woodsy was asked if he would rather be in a 40+ ft V or a Cat if the waves were 10 footers and he comically responded that he would rather be on the shore watching!!!!!Funny as hell!!! Coming from the man who represents 2 of the best in each category, sometimes it is more fun with a cocktail and a view!!! It was amazing to see a lot of the awesome driving that took place regardless of V or Cat and it is very evident that knowing how to run your boat safely is the first priority!!!!Obviously watching Blee and Freedom, some can do it damn well and really fast!!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
I found one quote from Terry Rinker that mentioned 4-5 g's. I completely agree that it appears that the champ boats are generating amazing cornering speeds, however if g-force is a measure of cornering speed in a given radius then a higher number would mean a higher speed?
Correct....... but the tiny radius these boats rotate in makes them "the tightest turning" race vehicles. Certainly there are higher G loads possible but to duplicate this dynamic you would need a centrifuge.........

In addition, the older hulls turned 90 degrees in a fraction of a second...almost a controlled "hook". My right arm came out of almost every heat, bleeding...even if I had a padded cushion on the cockpit....The friction and impacts caused the abrasions. I actually did hook in one race and my body went right through the cockpit leaving a tied sneaker on the throttle peddle. My belief is that we spiked at well over 7-8 g's at the actual turning instant in those days....... To this day I have "boat racers neck", a painful reminder of the helmet trying to continue in its original direction while the rest of me went with the seat twice each lap.

Thee tew ECKS
Old 05-13-2008, 12:23 PM
RBT
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Rinker and most of the Champ field use Aim sports MXL data loggers. They record all axis of g force, I will find out tonight and see what the real numbers are.

RT
Old 05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RBT
Rinker and most of the Champ field use Aim sports MXL data loggers. They record all axis of g force, I will find out tonight and see what the real numbers are.

RT
Well there ya go...... always ready with the facts.... one of my favorite Canadians......

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
RBT
Registered

Well this Canadian is still waiting to see of something will float with a pair of CHAMP motors on it!.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RBT
Well this Canadian is still waiting to see of something will float with a pair of CHAMP motors on it!.
It will be at Tonawanda......

T2x
Old 05-13-2008, 12:55 PM
RBT
Registered

Direct from Rinkers team.
In race conditions, sustained and consistent 5.5g's in the turns, 2g's accelerating.

Last edited by RBT; 05-13-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Frequency
Not necessarily. The g's you pull depends on your velocity and the radius of the turn. The tighter the radius, the higher the g's at a given speed.
Wow, now I'm quoting myself...

G forces in a turn are measured radially from the center of the turn. Use the equation below to calculate the radial g force:

A = v^2 / r

where v is your forward velocity, r is the radius of the turn and A is the acceleration (g force).
Old 05-13-2008, 01:22 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Frequency
Wow, now I'm quoting myself...

G forces in a turn are measured radially from the center of the turn. Use the equation below to calculate the radial g force:

A = v^2 / r

where v is your forward velocity, r is the radius of the turn and A is the acceleration (g force).
i am sure you know it, but you aren't calculating a force... something about the phrase 'g force' just grinds my physics nerve... you need a mass for a force, without that, you are just calculating vector acceleration deltas...

you don't need a lot of velocity to have high acceleration changes.... actually in most motorsport cases, high g counts come from sudden decels (wrecks) or sudden directional changes.... not so much from high velocities.

remember a sneeze and cough can generate 2-3 g's...

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.