Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boating & living around Cape Coral? >

Boating & living around Cape Coral?

Notices

Boating & living around Cape Coral?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boating & living around Cape Coral?

How is the area? The G-F & I are going for a week next week looking around at homes & the general area.. any OSO bro & Sis out their?

Just thinking out loud...

Thanks Jeff
Old 05-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thread on it also with some info -
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=cape+coral

Might be better off asking in the Ft Meyers forum also.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...play.php?f=186

Sure look's like some R.E. deals at this time there.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you talk to someone who really knows the area before you buy. Some canals will take an hour or more to get to the river, some have boat locks ..etc.

Plenty of deals now, I just returned about a month ago and was suprised at some of the things I saw. I've been going there for 20 yrs. and own a home there for about 10 yrs.

Basically a nice quiet place that used to be more boater friendly. But still a lot of nice places to go. Good Luck.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

My Girlfriend and I love Cape Coral. If you like small bars, nice people and great boating this is the area to be. If you like the bigger "down town" life style then this is not the area for you.

Any questions let me know.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Registered

Jeff-Cape Coral is an incredible place to live and boat! Where else could you watch Flipper playing with his friends in your wake in the clear aquamarine colored water 12 months out of the year? The sights you see are different everytime! It's amazing!

Lots of places to go (not far) and see. Sanibel, Captiva, Cabbage Key, Key Waden, Naples and Marco Island are all easy destinations from the Cape. And, with over 400 miles of canals in the city, it truly is an extraordinary place to live & boat! But, like Mike 35 said, make sure you have someone knowledgable showing you around, because there are some places claiming to be Direct Gulf Access and wind up being one hour to the intercoastal!

BTW, if you are coming down to look at houses, my wife is a Realtor in Cape Coral & Ft Myers. We'd love to show ya'll around and see some houses by land or sea! Let me know!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike 35 Fountain
Make sure you talk to someone who really knows the area before you buy. Some canals will take an hour or more to get to the river, some have boat locks ..etc.
No kidding. The guy I bought my Cig from moved there from Wisconsin. Got a great deal on a canal home. Problem was, it was an hour of idle to get to unrestricted water. Sold me the cig and bought a pontoon. Does that suck or what?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Yep,
Some of that idleing you can thank the $MC for! Our idle is 20 minutes if we go south, 40 minutes if we go north.
Dean
Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was there in February. There are a gazillion homes for sale and that area doesn't look like it will rebound anytime soon. I thought the area was kind of wierd in that you'd have a $1.5mm canal home right next to a home without water access that is run down with foot tall grass and weeds and might fetch $400m.

My wifes take on the whole area was that it was a much older population than was apparent on the east coast. Appears to be much more laid back and sleepy.

The boating looks like it could be awesome though.

Like anyplace else, positives and negatives
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Registered

We landed a spot that is approx a 3.5 minutes canal ride to the river! Gotta love that. Don't get me wrong, there is some fun to be had canalin' (riding around the canal system checking out boats, yards, houses). But you do that on purpose, not because you have to!

Right now, depending on your criteria, you can pick up Direct Sailboat Access homes (<10 minute canal ride to the river with no restrictions from bridges or locks) well under $400,000! You couldn't buy the dirt for that much 2 years ago!

For example, my wife has a 1574 sq ft 3/2/2 with granite countertops, SS appliances, full under truss lanai, heated pool w/enclosure, wrap around boat dock w/lift and direct sailboat access (approx 3.5 minutes to river also) listed for $339,900!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1
We landed a spot that is approx a 3.5 minutes canal ride to the river! Gotta love that. Don't get me wrong, there is some fun to be had canalin' (riding around the canal system checking out boats, yards, houses). But you do that on purpose, not because you have to!

Right now, depending on your criteria, you can pick up Direct Sailboat Access homes (<10 minute canal ride to the river with no restrictions from bridges or locks) well under $400,000! You couldn't buy the dirt for that much 2 years ago!

For example, my wife has a 1574 sq ft 3/2/2 with granite countertops, SS appliances, full under truss lanai, heated pool w/enclosure, wrap around boat dock w/lift and direct sailboat access (approx 3.5 minutes to river also) listed for $339,900!
Sounds nice, just a little small, (1574 Sq ft.) for a 3/2/2. What year was it built?
Thanks,
dean

Quick Reply: Boating & living around Cape Coral?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.