Like Tree0Likes

OHIO River Accident??

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 AM

On lanyards-

If you fall out and your boat keeps going, it makes it harder for rescuers to find you. You're also risking other people's lives with your now-unguided missile. As mentioned, it's also harder to climb back on board and rescue yourself, not to mention that being run over by your own boat. I keep reading comments about how lanyards may not help you save yourself, ignoring the obvious and most important function they have... keeping the craft from injuring others. This leads me to believe that there's not enough discussion about lanyards. So, what downside exists to wearing one?

On jackets- Do we really need to discuss why wearing one is important? Yet, many still don't. If you don't want to wear them, I really don't care. Unlike the lanyard, it's only you that you're risking. But maybe not- alot of the time I have less-experienced boaters or non-boaters with me. If I'm not wearing one, they'll likely assume they don't need one either. I think there's some implied responsibility there, but that's up to you. I know two people who drowned in separate incidents that 100% would have survived had they been wearing jackets. (one fell in after having a few and trying to take a leak standing on the sunpad- at night of course) I've been to the funerals and have seen their wive's and children's faces and I've seen the struggle they've put up to survive not having their husbands/fathers around. If you don't care about that or your own family, I don't know what to say.

Drinking? Picture yourself in an airport, about to put your kids on an airplane. As you're in line, the captain walks down the entryway, sipping on a Budweiser. Are you going to put your kids on the plane? Hey, he's only had a couple.

My comments are GENERAL and pertinent to so many of the stories we read about each and every season. You're right- no one knows yet why these people died. Since reports say the boat continued onward it can be safely presumed they weren't using a lanyard system. Since it took hours to find them, it's presumable they weren't wearing vests- or at least sufficient vests. If you feel that sensitivity will inspire or inform someone about the safety risks we all are exposed to, you continue on that path. Myself, I'd rather post something harsh and controversial that gets people talking. Sometimes it takes a slap to get someone to wake up. Many times on here it involves a newer boater or a guy moving from a bowrider to a performance boat for the first time. If they hit this thread and any of this makes them safer, then the rest of you can go right on thinking I'm an a$$hole.

These people dying is certainbly regrettable. If nothing else, I feel for their families. If it's determined that their own actions caused or contributed to their own demise, all I can say is that they made their own choices and they paid for them.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 06-02-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchasum111 View Post
.but I will admit to not always wearing them when not running hard now...I also will have a few beers on the water...do I deserve to die for my actions...I think not....
Your comments in particular struck me. You completely misinterpreted what I wrote.

To answer your question- no, you don't "deserve" to die. But what you do deserve to do is live with the consequences of your own actions.

I think often about my buddy who drowned. By himself, fell in off the back. Water was kind of cold. He had a few. I think about how he struggled to pull himself up but couldn't. Eventually he wore out and gave up. I wonder what those last moments were like- what he was thinking about. Of course he wasn't wearing a vest- he never did. We joked with him all the time about the coasties dragging the lake for his body. He'd either laugh or make jokes about being a strong swimmer. He was a guy who had gotten lucky so many times that he figured he was too skilled and too sharp to need the things others did. He was my friend and it was very sad but I still can't muster any real sympathy for him. I mostly feel anger about how it hurt his family and his friends.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Banned

My Boats: 40 SKATER

[QUOTE=Chris Sunkin;2575430] being the insensitive a$$hole that delivers the message.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:00 AM

P.S. Cincy Enquirer confirms that boat was running in circles and that neither occupant was wearing a vest, per ODNR.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin View Post
being the insensitive a$$hole that delivers the message.

Rob is busy getting ready for the Aronow race. It's my week.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 06-02-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

My Boats: 40 SKATER

Don't know their situation, was not there and am not judging them. I do have sympathy for them. That was a horrible thing to happen to anyone.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 37 Active Thunder

Quote:
On lanyards-

If you fall out and your boat keeps going, it makes it harder for rescuers to find you. You're also risking other people's lives with your now-unguided missile. As mentioned, it's also harder to climb back on board and rescue yourself, not to mention that being run over by your own boat. I keep reading comments about how lanyards may not help you save yourself, ignoring the obvious and most important function they have... keeping the craft from injuring others. This leads me to believe that there's not enough discussion about lanyards. So, what downside exists to wearing one?

On jackets- Do we really need to discuss why wearing one is important? Yet, many still don't. If you don't want to wear them, I really don't care. Unlike the lanyard, it's only you that you're risking. But maybe not- alot of the time I have less-experienced boaters or non-boaters with me. If I'm not wearing one, they'll likely assume they don't need one either. I think there's some implied responsibility there, but that's up to you. I know two people who drowned in separate incidents that 100% would have survived had they been wearing jackets. (one fell in after having a few and trying to take a leak standing on the sunpad- at night of course) I've been to the funerals and have seen their wive's and children's faces and I've seen the struggle they've put up to survive not having their husbands/fathers around. If you don't care about that or your own family, I don't know what to say.

Drinking? Picture yourself in an airport, about to put your kids on an airplane. As you're in line, the captain walks down the entryway, sipping on a Budweiser. Are you going to put your kids on the plane? Hey, he's only had a couple.

My comments are GENERAL and pertinent to so many of the stories we read about each and every season. You're right- no one knows yet why these people died. Since reports say the boat continued onward it can be safely presumed they weren't using a lanyard system. Since it took hours to find them, it's presumable they weren't wearing vests- or at least sufficient vests. If you feel that sensitivity will inspire or inform someone about the safety risks we all are exposed to, you continue on that path. Myself, I'd rather post something harsh and controversial that gets people talking. Sometimes it takes a slap to get someone to wake up. Many times on here it involves a newer boater or a guy moving from a bowrider to a performance boat for the first time. If they hit this thread and any of this makes them safer, they the rest of you can go right on thinking I'm an a$$hole.

These people dying is certainbly regrettable. If nothing else, I feel for their families. If it's determined that their own actions caused or contributed to their own demise, all I can say is that they made their own choices and they paid for them.
well said
Old 06-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 spectre 30/ 98 Maxum cuddy

I just watched the lexington news at lunch....they actually said they were trying to figure out if both people jumped out of the boat or not....come on....

Last edited by getchasum111; 06-03-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: SOLD-'02 Sunsation Dominator--Fortunate Sun

My favorite part of the original news video was when the guy said the boat floated "up" river with the current. Obviously, a very knowledgeable newsman.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
On lanyards-

My comments are GENERAL and pertinent to so many of the stories we read about each and every season. You're right- no one knows yet why these people died. Since reports say the boat continued onward it can be safely presumed they weren't using a lanyard system. Since it took hours to find them, it's presumable they weren't wearing vests- or at least sufficient vests. If you feel that sensitivity will inspire or inform someone about the safety risks we all are exposed to, you continue on that path. Myself, I'd rather post something harsh and controversial that gets people talking. Sometimes it takes a slap to get someone to wake up. Many times on here it involves a newer boater or a guy moving from a bowrider to a performance boat for the first time. If they hit this thread and any of this makes them safer, then the rest of you can go right on thinking I'm an a$$hole.

Chris:

You hit this one on the head. There was no need for these deaths and this tragedy represents a complete disregard and lack of understanding of the ballistics of high speed boating, which if allowed to get out of control will spin you out, launch you and your passengers into sharp, or unyielding surfaces in your cockpit, throw you overboard, or barrel roll on top of you. In addition after you are ejected without kill switch's hooked up, your "pleasure boat" could become a death missile looking for a couple of people fishing in a row boat.

Given that set of FACTS, and the previous statement by a poster, and I quote: "No, I was not wearing a vest. I don't feel that makes me a suicidal a$$."

Yep...I'm afraid it does....and hopefully not a dead one someday.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 06-02-2008 at 02:06 PM.