Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don't Be Talking Smack About Fountain - Cause Reggies' Here! >

Don't Be Talking Smack About Fountain - Cause Reggies' Here!

Notices

Don't Be Talking Smack About Fountain - Cause Reggies' Here!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
To be honest, I really never think about Reggie. I have friends who own his boats and even owned an old 12-meter wave crushing dinosaur that I have fond memories of. I never venture into any of the factory PR areas and I don't open any of the "rah rah Fountain is great!" threads.

I just don't want him in my OSO playground.

Odd statement coming from the guy that was the first to put Reggie's face all over here. You figure that no one would take it and run with it? Or was that the deal to start with?

Indulge me with answers to a couple simple questions here if you would,

1) What exactly is your problem with Reggie, and / or the product he builds?

2) What do you, if you, curently own for a boat? Dosen't seem to show up anywhere, just wondering why.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 07-02-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's ok! I've met him, he's definitly a salesman, (full of chit) but a very nice guy in person.
Attached Thumbnails Don't Be Talking Smack About Fountain - Cause Reggies' Here!-dsc00735.jpg  
Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Odd statement coming from the guy that was the first to put Reggie's face all over here. You figure that no one would take it and run with it? Or was that the deal to start with?

Indulge me with answers to a couple simple questions here if you would,

1) What exactly is your problem with Reggie, and / or the product he builds?

2) What do you, if you, curently own for a boat? Dosen't seem to show up anywhere, just wondering why.
Yes, the pic all part of the fun.

I've posted a detailed explanation about Reggie but I'll give you a recap-

Reggie is a megalomaniac self-promoter. He's done lots for the sport but he's also run alot of good competent builders out of the business. He took his public in '86 with an IPO around $9. Adjusted for market growth over 22 years, the stock should be trading today at about $70. It's under a buck. So, he's not much of a businessman. I could go on but my present beef with Lord Reggie is that he's got his PR goons on the loose and they're here. They have a place in the PR section but they're venturing into the forums. Now you may notice that almost half of the advertising on this site is Fountain or Fountain co-op. I saw Powerboat Magazine reduced to a shill for Reggie's boats and I don't want to see it here. And the Cat Killer stuff is pure garbage.

As far as the boats he builds, while he may refer to them as the best, fastest, safest boats ever built, they're not. They build a good boat but there are a half-dozen plus builders that build a product that wholly eclipses the best Fountain has ever turned out. Not a bad boat, not a great boat. Definitely not what Reggie purports them to be.

On the boats-

41 Apache
35 Cigarette
24 Cigarette
19 Spectra
and a Searay

You can see pics of the Apache in the Apache section, there's a whole thread about the re-do of the 35 Cig in the Cigarette section, I just purchased the 24 Cig from HORBA founder Charlie McCarthy and the Spectra is just a toy.

Did I pass?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I've posted a detailed explanation about Reggie but I'll give you a recap-

Reggie is a megalomaniac self-promoter. He's done lots for the sport but he's also run alot of good competent builders out of the business. He took his public in '86 with an IPO around $9. Adjusted for market growth over 22 years, the stock should be trading today at about $70. It's under a buck. So, he's not much of a businessman. I could go on but my present beef with Lord Reggie is that he's got his PR goons on the loose and they're here. They have a place in the PR section but they're venturing into the forums. Now you may notice that almost half of the advertising on this site is Fountain or Fountain co-op. I saw Powerboat Magazine reduced to a shill for Reggie's boats and I don't want to see it here. And the Cat Killer stuff is pure garbage.

As far as the boats he builds, while he may refer to them as the best, fastest, safest boats ever built, they're not. They build a good boat but there are a half-dozen plus builders that build a product that wholly eclipses the best Fountain has ever turned out. Not a bad boat, not a great boat. Definitely not what Reggie purports them to be.

On the boats-

41 Apache
35 Cigarette
24 Cigarette
19 Spectra
and a Searay

You can see pics of the Apache in the Apache section, there's a whole thread about the re-do of the 35 Cig in the Cigarette section, I just purchased the 24 Cig from HORBA founder Charlie McCarthy and the Spectra is just a toy.

Did I pass?
I dont believe all this hooey
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I dont believe all this hooey
OK, I made up the Cig 35.

Tell Dave I want my $$ back.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered

Did I pass?

Ok on the pic, nothing wrong with a little agitatin' so long as it's all in fun.

Yes he's a self promoter, but if you don't toot your own horn who the he!! is going to do it for you. I'm happy with mine, and believe I may, on occasion, put in a mild plug or two. But on occasion find something that makes me say "WTF were they thinking here". But have asked the same of some that have a much higher price structure as well.

My GF bought me some shares of Fountain stock for a xmas gift this past year, I'm not counting on them to fund my golden years. But the stock certificate my broker got for her is kinda cool. Today it is worth slightly less than half what she paid for it, but then so is the Key Bank stock I'm sitting on.

Glad to see that you're not all riled up by the questions.

So Yes, you pass.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 07-02-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM

Don't get me wrong- I have nothing bad to say about Fountain boats. I've recommended them to friends- they're well-made and hold their value- nothing wrong there. They have some issues, but what boats don't?

On Regggie, I have no respect for the man. I don't like his approach, I colpletely disagree with his business practices and I don't like his blatant fabrications... but I can let all of that pass. I don't want him in here with us and have every piece of content on this board filtered and censored to comply with Reggie's vision.

On getting hot about being questioned- absolutely no problem. I have plenty to say and I'm pretty free with my opinions. You have every right to find out if I have enough ass to cash the checks my mouth writes. And you went about in a respectful tone- I'm happy to return the respect.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered

Don't get me wrong- I have nothing bad to say about Fountain boats. I've recommended them to friends- they're well-made and hold their value- nothing wrong there. They have some issues, but what boats don't?

On Regggie, I have no respect for the man. I don't like his approach, I colpletely disagree with his business practices and I don't like his blatant fabrications... but I can let all of that pass. I don't want him in here with us and have every piece of content on this board filtered and censored to comply with Reggie's vision.

On getting hot about being questioned- absolutely no problem. I have plenty to say and I'm pretty free with my opinions. You have every right to find out if I have enough ass to cash the checks my mouth writes. And you went about in a respectful tone- I'm happy to return the respect.

Up that to a Pass +.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Up that to a Pass +.
Don't give him too much, have you seen the size of his head on his avatar already? We may need a bigger forum!!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ratickle
Don't give him too much, have you seen the size of his head on his avatar already? We may need a bigger forum!!

Alright, A Pass + 1/2, Better?

Quick Reply: Don't Be Talking Smack About Fountain - Cause Reggies' Here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.