Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NHRA shortens distance for Top Fuel and Funny Car to 1,000' >

NHRA shortens distance for Top Fuel and Funny Car to 1,000'

Notices

NHRA shortens distance for Top Fuel and Funny Car to 1,000'

Old 07-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darrell Russell was killed by a tire blowing, not an engine issue and they used that as an excuse to lower the nitro %. The nitro level had nothing to do with Darrell's death. Then they slapped that "rev limiter" on the nitro engines aka the "335mph" rule because they did not want the cars going any faster than that. The system would retard the timing if the engine hit a certain RPM. That caused many engines to lean out and explode along with the car lurching forward. Melanie Troxel had a big one because of that limiter. If the rev limiter on Scott's car was the issue, I'm sure the NHRA will do everything to cover that up, but Connie won't! He hates the limitations to begin with and if one of those limitations is the cause for his son's death, then EVERYONE will know!

For the time-being, I'm not watching or going to the races!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I think there are better ways than mess with historical 1/4 mile runs. A 300' safety run off zone at the end that is filled with sand seems like a better alternative. That and/or a safety net.
There was a wall at the end of the track where he got killed. What would you rather hit sand or a wall? Ill take the runoff.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to most of the tracks and Englishtown by far has the shortest sand pit. I am very sorry about Scott's death but running the cars to 1000' is not going to be the answer. They should mandate the sand pit size and saftey nets. I have even heard rumblings about a "remote control" cut off, like the monster trucks run. That seems better than stopping them at 1000'. As said before, the crew chiefs will set the cars up to run 1000' and the motor will eat itself up at the 900' foot mark. I think they also launch the cars harder now. Losing 300' feet to run somebody down is a big deal. Look for more engine issues at the start line...............As I said I am very sorry about Scott's death, no direspect intended.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by UNSANE
Darrell Russell was killed by a tire blowing, not an engine issue and they used that as an excuse to lower the nitro %. The nitro level had nothing to do with Darrell's death. Then they slapped that "rev limiter" on the nitro engines aka the "335mph" rule because they did not want the cars going any faster than that. The system would retard the timing if the engine hit a certain RPM. That caused many engines to lean out and explode along with the car lurching forward. Melanie Troxel had a big one because of that limiter. If the rev limiter on Scott's car was the issue, I'm sure the NHRA will do everything to cover that up, but Connie won't! He hates the limitations to begin with and if one of those limitations is the cause for his son's death, then EVERYONE will know!

For the time-being, I'm not watching or going to the races!
Agreed,but it did seem that there was less violent explosions with 80% nitro.That was my point and that there are better ways to make this safer than shorting the distance
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Hmmm-- 320 feet is going to really make a difference at 275-300 mph ?? I think not. All tracks need a sand pit runoff at 1/2 mile long and then some type of netting to catch the car and bring it to a final stop.

In the video I saw, he hit a wall and I'm quite sure that was what killed him.

As the cars go faster, the run-off needs to be longer.

Look what they did at the Nascar tracks after what happened to Earnhardt. They didn't slow the cars down, they added energy absorbing walls and more safety equipment to the cars.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Registered

Just like nascar with restrictor plates its Bull---- , totally sucks, just when i started going to nhra over nascar now this maybe the boat racing world should put 4 cylinders in supercats.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

just limit them to 250hp and 55 mph,,so now all the records at 1320' arn't anything ?,,or is the rest of the season worthless as far as pionts and sponsers
Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

In the video I saw, he hit a wall and I'm quite sure that was what killed him.

I listen to a show on XM radio that has the NHRA announcer Alan Reinhart on. He said the car was going so fast that when it hit the sand it went airborne and cleared the concrete wall at the end. He hit a large post that supported the netting that is supposed help stop the car. That is what killed him.

I agree changing the length isn't the right option. It was a freak accident and they can change the tracks a little and make it safer.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Registered

the drivers seem to think that this is ok for now....these tracks were built a long time ago when these speeds were never thought to be obtainable...so i am ok with it personally...but in the long run they need to make the proper updates to the tracks so they can go back to 1/4 mile runs..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Registered

A couple of things..

First E-Town has one of the longer shut downs, but a very short sand trap and catch fence.

The length of the sand trap, and fence most likely would not have helped Scott since he was well over 250 when he hit the sand.

PRO (The professional Race Owners Organization) has been lobbying for a shorter length for a couple of years now. So this was the time to make a change (whether it's permanent or not we'll see)...

The 1/4 mile was only picked due to ease in building of races tracks. Other than the records it has no real historical meaning. Drag racing has always been I'll race you from here to there, the first one there wins. Down South the majority of Drag racing is 1/8 mile because it's cheaper on equipment, insurance, personnel, and safer...

The situation with Scott's unfortunate death was due to multiple issues, the main being how do you stop one of these vehicles when the driver is unconscious.

Personally I am not a fan of the fuel classes (if it doesn't have doors and 3 pedals I don't car too much for it) but I don't want to see anyone else get hurt while they are trying to make these cars safer.

Quick Reply: NHRA shortens distance for Top Fuel and Funny Car to 1,000'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.