100th APBA Gold Cup cancelled >

100th APBA Gold Cup cancelled

Notices

100th APBA Gold Cup cancelled

Old 07-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,701 Likes on 3,784 Posts

Called it "No Contest" it really sux for the producers, but safety in what it is all about. Besides at a cool million apiece, I dnt think anyone wants to trash their hydro.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
i think we were hitting 100-110, the supercat and extreme guys were probably hitting the 130's. We are the only ones running the tractor style exhaust and as you heard . . . . they let ya know were coming. Thank you for the compliments.

I just get the greatest feeling when we buzz a shoreline where fans are on their feet with arms in the air yelling and cheering. Always glad to be a part of any event that has that kind of fan base and given the circumstances it was good to be there to fill in for the unfortunate weather. There was no way the Unlimited guys could have run, its to bad cuz i was hoping to make it down to the Rooster and watch the finals but safety first as we all know.
Hey, you guys were no fill in for those of us that were mostly there for the offshore boats.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Maximus
We could hit 160 .....up or down the straight at any time

racingtainment....i like that

lots of history, Great fans ,lots of fun good for the sport.
The fans were loving Miss Geico.

Will you guys be at the Harrison Twp and/or St Claire race? Also, I believe I heard you picked up the Mystic 50 turbine boat, will it be at either?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered

We just finished two weekends in a row of racing and the boat needs a little TLC, we will be in St Claire
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Went to the Gold-Cup Saturday and Sunday. First love besides my wife is Offshore racing then Unlimited Hydro's. There is no question that the rain put a damper on the 100th Running of the Gold-Cup on Saturday but there was still some good racing on Saturday. Sunday, was a great day for Offshore Powerboat Racing and the winds really didn't bother them. The Unlimited Hydro's were a different story, the wind and the white caps were to much for them to race safely. The race delay after for the accident and the delay was way to long and yes it was boring even if you love racing. It reminded me of when I use to go to the Drag Boat races. You had to wait for a long time after each run to clear the track and it never became popular around her for that reason. Today on the news it was reported that Mark Weber the Event Director said the Hydro Plane Races were cancelled because of the wind conditions to hold a race safely. That statement kind of pissed me off as there were still some race racing all day, put on by the Offshore Pro Series. If it wasn't for the Offshore Powerboat Racers again this year when the high winds whipped up, it would of been a disaster. The Jet Fighter Plane Show was great and should be at all powerboat races. My wife and I still had a great time and are looking forward to attending next year again. I want to thank the Chrysler Jeep Super Stores for sponsoring this historic race every year for all of us to enjoy. Special thanks to all of the racers who came to put a show on for us, no matter what Association or class you race in you all deserve our respect and thanks.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked on the rescue crews for this event for six years. When the wind picks up, there can be some huge holes develop in the current on this section of the Detroit River. Can't really see them unless you're out on the water. Saw a lot of incidents over the years, including this one which was the first time a canopy ever imploded:
Attached Thumbnails 100th APBA Gold Cup cancelled-jasper-001.jpg   100th APBA Gold Cup cancelled-jasper-004.jpg   100th APBA Gold Cup cancelled-jasper-009.jpg  

Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

WE were at the show also. We were disapointed with not being able to see Sundays Unlimiteds but still had a great time. We were fortunate enough to have our Motorhome in the Unlimited pits so that added alot of excitement to the weekend.

I would like to comment on the over 400 volunteers who helped put on this event. Without them it would been imposible to have this race. They were very pleasant and helpfull considering all the time they were there to donate. By the way the volunteers pay a membership to volunteer, and work their tails off to do it.

The unlimiteds were great when they ran, and the offshore boats again this year saved the show. Thank you guys for coming.

My only hope was for a couple of additional competitive classes. The vintage boats were nice to look at but I would like to see some competitive racing other than just the unlimiteds

We are planing to be back next year and from the information I got from some of the event staff they are working to improve on the show and get hydroplane racing back in the publics eye with more media participation.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer

I would like to comment on the over 400 volunteers who helped put on this event. Without them it would been imposible to have this race. They were very pleasant and helpfull considering all the time they were there to donate. By the way the volunteers pay a membership to volunteer, and work their tails off to do it.
good point, they did a great job organizing all the different racing going on. I was impressed for sure. They had people on the docks in constant contact telling us when to be ready, where to be, and anything else pertinent. Any schedule changes were printed and distributed, also they had race and lap info quickly for us to check out. Thanks again to all involved
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )