Like Tree0Likes

Ice makers, what are you using?

Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Criterion

Never had my own dedicated ice maker, but our big boat used to be about 1/4 mile from the local ice house. Just pull up, pop the trunk, thrown the guy a $5 and your trunk gets 25 lbs of ice. That was Midway ice in Neptune City NJ. Find out where your local ice house is. All those stores and tackle shops get their ice somewhere, and it's a ton cheaper to go to the source. Many will sell to anyone.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

My Boats: Baja H2X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BY U BOY View Post
I just recommend that you stay away from the Whirlpool made units. Not looking to start any fights. I am just going off of what are service guys work on the most and from what my customers are replacing and why. Just my .02
You are right the Whirlpool made 50# ice makers do have a 1 in 3 failure rate right now, they are working diligently to solve the issues with them though....
Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun 600th Edition

A 7lb. bag of ice with tax is still under $1.50.....you can't even buy a name brand bottle of water for that. Alright, I am somewhat biased.......I make a living manuufacturing and selling packaged ice to the convenience/grocery store market.......ice out of these small machines you guys speak of is fine if the water is first purified. My product is also not touched by human hands and is lab tested monthly to ensure cleanliness of the equipment/purity etc........Just a plug for the old iceman
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

There definitely is credence to having your own ice maker vice paying $3-4 per bag times how many over the course of a year or years. It adds up in both money and the time to mess around going/stopping to get it whether it be for boating or a party at the house. I'm definitely taking notes fella's. Good post for a change...
Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Registered

My Boats: Open Slip - formerly Formula'd

Frontgate sells a tabletop ice maker that makes about 30lbs in 24 hrs. ... which might fill your needs. Usually their stuff is of decent quality - but no idea how it will hold up over the long haul. It's here:
http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?so...ord=ice&page=1
Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Medley View Post
A 7lb. bag of ice with tax is still under $1.50.....you can't even buy a name brand bottle of water for that. Alright, I am somewhat biased.......I make a living manufacturing and selling packaged ice to the convenience/grocery store market.......ice out of these small machines you guys speak of is fine if the water is first purified. My product is also not touched by human hands and is lab tested monthly to ensure cleanliness of the equipment/purity etc........Just a plug for the old iceman

Nothing against packaged ice, I haul 20 gallons of gas for the ski's, 60 or more pounds of ice, add beer and bottled water etc and this is almost every weekend.

I'm building a 3600 square foot barn for all my crap and one of the things I will definitely have is an ice maker. My house is a stopping point for some of my buddies on their way to the boat ramp, it's amazing how I never have enough ice, water, gas to get through the weekend
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
I'm building a 3600 square foot barn for all my crap and one of the things I will definitely have is an ice maker. My house is a stopping point for some of my buddies on their way to the boat ramp, it's amazing how I never have enough ice, water, gas to get through the weekend
Sounds like a commercial unit will be your ticket. You've got the need and will have the space for it.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)

My Boats: Hustler 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Medley View Post
A 7lb. bag of ice with tax is still under $1.50.....you can't even buy a name brand bottle of water for that. Alright, I am somewhat biased.......I make a living manuufacturing and selling packaged ice to the convenience/grocery store market.......ice out of these small machines you guys speak of is fine if the water is first purified. My product is also not touched by human hands and is lab tested monthly to ensure cleanliness of the equipment/purity etc........Just a plug for the old iceman

Brent I dont think my beers care what the ice taste like
Attached Images

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 07-17-2008 at 01:21 PM.