Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Fix or sell as mechanics special? >

Fix or sell as mechanics special?

Notices

Fix or sell as mechanics special?

Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fix or sell as mechanics special?

I had planned on listing my boat for sale after the 4th of July this year, but as it turned out the Port motor went out on me on the 3rd.. Ruined my weekend, thats for sure..

I dont think its as bad as I originally thought. I saw oil in the bilge and all over the port hullside but it was from two different things. I had forgot to put the lid back on the trim pump and it burped all over everything.

So i hooked the hose up and ran the motor on the trailer and noticed water coming out of the back of the motor. I cant see that far back so Im assuming its from missing a plug during winterization. How I didnt notice this when I ran it a month ago, is beyond me.

My question is what should I do? I paid almost $40k for the boat two seasons ago and have put about $5k into service and shining it up. I really just want the boat gone so that I can get my financing for my new one. Should I put more money into the boat and (TRY) to sell it for the KBB value and possibly have to sit on it for two years as the market turns around or should I just bottom dollar it and sell it as a mechanics special.

Its a 1993 Sunsation Dominator 32 w/ 330HP 454's, Bravo's.. it needs an interior update and theres a few dings, scratches and tears here and there but it was always reliable up til this year.

I cant decide how I should list it. It would seem like it would sell faster if I just sold it for whats owed and let someone else do the motor work, am I wrong?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In our market here in SE Florida you can usually repair the boat for less money than the hit you need to take to off it as a "mechanics special".

Either way good luck in this sluggish economy that the Democrat congress has us in.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are better fixing it, if you try to sell a non working boat in this market you might as well give it away.

my 2 cents

WILL
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get in to it deeper. That leak might be simpler than you think, especially since its water. Do you have the usual merc cooler across the back? Check all hoses, etc. Might be cracked hardware but spending a little time might uncover something cheap, probably free.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know? I didnt realize there was a cooler across the back. That sounds promising.. theres no water in the oil, i know that much and the motor runs fine.. and the water coming out of the back is like a little waterfall, its about 6" across, not like a stream shooting out.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're "giving away" nice boats these days. I'd hate to think what you'd have to do to move one with a problem. Plus, very few people are interested in buying boats these days so the pool of "mechanic's specials" buyers has to be tiny. I'd investigate fixing it.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Call BGChubby.....
Registered

Get back on speaking terms. Fix it. Might be simpler than you think. Either way, you don't want to sell it as "it needs work, but I don't know exactly what."
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

JK!!

I really liked Jeff. Shame.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
I dont know? I didnt realize there was a cooler across the back. That sounds promising.. theres no water in the oil, i know that much and the motor runs fine.. and the water coming out of the back is like a little waterfall, its about 6" across, not like a stream shooting out.
where is the boat?

Quick Reply: Fix or sell as mechanics special?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.