Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Yet another stereo question >

Yet another stereo question

Notices

Yet another stereo question

Old 03-01-2002, 12:09 PM
FWK

Will what guage power cable did you run to your amplifier if you did not run a heavy enough guage wire it wil possibly cause this problem. Forrest

Old 03-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How does the XM satellite radio work ? Is there a charge to use it like a cell phone ?
Old 03-01-2002, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forrest, I was having a problem with my amp, not clipping but it's a 4 channel amp that was supposed to be wired to run a 6X9 on each channel. The guy that did it only ran them on 2 channels so 2 were sitting empty. I changed that one day before I took off and it sounded great.... that is until I started my motors. Then it was nothing but a high pitched noise. Didn't know what the problem is. So I got the interior out right now and I see that the guy that installed it ran this heavy gauge ground wire off the amp back aways and then tapped into this tiny ass ground wire for something else that was heading to the battery!

I haven't got to test it yet but I think the problem is solved!
Old 03-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill R.: I can get you the sony stuff for sure. However to be honest with you I would call Forrest for it. Right now the stock is low and I am so bussy. I do not want ya to have to waite for a long time if there is not need.

I have never used the Sony remote but it is nice since it has a display to show you what is going on. The clarion has a remote like that but no display I have put the clarion unit on swim platforms and such. They will work on that aplication they tend to fade a little so I suggest putting them were they get covered by the boats cockpit cover
Old 03-01-2002, 02:15 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks!!

Its good to be busy . . . .again.
Now if these MFg's can just supply me with products!!!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 03-01-2002, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWK,

The wire I am running is from the Rockford Intall kit, it should be enough, the wire is not hot or anything. I guess what I am asking is can a low battery cause the subs to clip or do I need a bigger amp on the Kicker CompVR 10's
Old 03-01-2002, 03:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

27Foutain: Yes a low battery can cause problem with the amp. Sorry I forgot to reply to that problem. If the amp does not see enough power/volts it has to work MUCH harder to make power and thus will start to distort or fail.

Jon
Old 03-01-2002, 03:06 PM
Registered

Cool watts up?

watts = volts x amps. If your voltage drops, most people just turn up the volume a little more to make up for less wattage output...hence the distortion.

As far as wire, length is as important as size. You never want less that a .5 volt drop across the wire, as it will hurt performance, as well as generate heat. This is an equation I like to use:

heat + fiberglass = no fun

I found a good wire size calculator on this site:

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

Look under "wire" on the right hand navigation, and plug in the numbers. There's also lots of other good audio info on that site, if you have the time.

Old 03-01-2002, 11:31 PM
FWK

Milford Ground to the engine block. Will one of the downfalls to those kits is that the ground wire is designed for a car with a short run usually in a kit that has 4 guage power wire the groune is 8 guage. In a boat you need to run the same guage ground as power wire to the engine block. This has been discussed a lot but the majority of the newer amps require 4 guage wire. I hope this helps. Forrest
Hey guys what is up with the electronics manufacturers.I sell panasonic, toshiba, hitachi, pioneer and rca and I can't get a HD 16:9 TV to save my life. This is killing me as I have 5 of the tv's sold. They keep saying they are on allocation. THIS SUCKS!!!!

Old 03-01-2002, 11:56 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. I picked up the RF today.

One other question. Should I wire each speaker to a channel on the 4 channel amp, or is it better to bridge it 2 channel and wire the speakers in parallel?

Quick Reply: Yet another stereo question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.