Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ >

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Notices

Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Old 08-03-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

My son is with the Brick Police and Silverton Fire Dept and they recieved a call last night about an accident, News 12 has an article on it but one man was killed and even though they are not sure of the boat that hit and ran the Boston Whaler from the injuries and the one man being be headed they are pretty sure it was a go fast. Why at 1AM in the morning does anyone run hi speed with no moon out.

Hit-and-run boating accident in Ocean County kills one and injures four
by Alexi Friedman/The Star-Ledger
Sunday August 03, 2008, 10:23 AM
State Police are searching for a boat that crashed into a small vessel early this morning in the Metedeconk River in Ocean County then sped away, killing a 49-year-old man aboard and injuring four adults.

The two-vessel accident happened at 1:15 a.m. in Brick Township at the mouth of the Metedeconk River, said State Police Sgt. Julian Castellanos. It was just two days away from a new moon, making it particularly dark outside.

The five victims were aboard a single-engine 17-foot Boston Whaler when the other boat ran into it, crashing over the starboard side then continuing on, Castellanos said.

It was unclear whether the boat that ran into the Boston Whaler was larger or smaller, but whatever damage it sustained, that vessel was able to motor off, police said.

The 49-year-old man from Essex Fells in Essex County was struck in the head and died. His wife and three others were injured, one seriously. All five were taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune.

Police did not release their names.

State Police are still investigating the hit-and-run, and are looking for the offending boat in marinas and lagoons, Castellanos said.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That just sucks, condolences to all and hopefully everyone else will recover okay.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy

I would hope the person responsible turns themself in.

Gathering from where it happened, 3 routes to leave the area are all under camera surveillance. 4th area would be to head west with only a limited number of places to actually get the boat out of the water.

Hopefully this will have a quick resolve as well.

My prayers go out to the family and people this effects...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 08-05-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Registered
Gold Member

it was right behind my neighborhood. came home from work last night and saw the coast guard helicopter hovering around with its spotlight on. figured it was a boating accident. hope they catch the person. condolences to the family
Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Registered

Folks keep eyes and ears peeled for any boat with damage in your local lagoons and marinas, ramps, trailers. This is absolutely horrible Imagine wife and others waiting helplessly while husband lies there sustaining critical injuries, while that scumbag speeds off ... I'd want to jump in and start swimming after them until I drown trying ....
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 AM

My son said they are searching for a small performance type boat from 20-30 ft in length. I just can't believe someone can hit a boat and not stop. You really have to be a total scumbag, drinking or not how can someone live with the fact they killed someone.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered

Default Frank

I was told this morning the person responsible is making arraingements to surrender themselves. Cant wait to meet this beauty. Thats unexcuseable.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered

The noose is tightening:

POINT PLEASANT — State Police have identified a 27-foot speed boat as the vessel suspected in a fatal hit-and-run crash early Sunday morning.

The boat's registration is listed to an Ocean County resident, said State Police Sgt. Julian Castellanos.

Robert Post, 49, of Essex Fells was killed. Four passengers aboard the boat were injured. They were Post's wife, Bonnie, 49; Cliff Farren, 44, and his wife Joan, 46, of Radnor, Pa.; and Karen Kelly, 46, of Norcross, Ga.

The injured passengers were taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune. Joan Farren was listed in serious condition and Bonnie Post in fair condition Sunday, Karen Kelly and Cliff Farren were treated and released from Jersey Shore, police said.

State Police expect to release more information about noon, Castellanos said.

Local fish wrapper is www.app.com if anyone wants to check out any breaking stories.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Not good......
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it....maybe it's just me but I am scared to death to be out running in the dark. I came home two sat nights ago, had an alright moon, and I was at idle for most of the trip.....at one point I went just fast enough to barely get it on plane with the tabs down, but not for long. This sounds a lot like the Candlewood (Danbury, CT) accident...going too fast at night, only this time the innocent person on the boat that was hit was killed.

Quick Reply: Another Boating Accident in Brick NJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.