Old 04-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

bump ...any new input?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:46 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

I was reading the directions off of their site the other day as I had been using it wrong, it does say that you are supposed to leave it in there as the salt away encapsulates the salt. It also states right on the site that salt away will NOT harm aluminum.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

from the site;

SALT-AWAY CONCENTRATE FORMULA

Salt-Away's claims about its performance only applies to Salt-Away and the use of our equipment.

Our products are guaranteed to perform as we claim. Using another product with Salt-Away's equipment does not mean that other products will be as effective as Salt-Away.

The blend of chemicals used in Salt-Away are not the same as our com-petitors' chemicals.
Special Secret Blend

* Salt-Away is a carefully selected blend of ingredients specifically chosen to provide the optimum concentration of well-known cleaning materials and surface-active agents, to provide salt removal from a wide variety of surfaces.

* There are no hydrocarbon solvents in the formula and the cleaning action is designed not to remove lubricating products.

* Included in Salt-Away are rinse aids and liquid and vapor corrosion inhibitors.

* The ingredients are considered non-hazardous, non-toxic, and biodegradable and, as such, discharging Salt-Away into normal drainage outlets is safe.

* Safe to use on virtually all surfaces, including Magnesium, Aluminum, Iron, Steel, Stainless Steel, Chrome, Paint, Gel Coat, Nylon, Isinglass, Vinyl, Plastic, Glass, Wood, Leather, Rubber, Canvas.

* Salt-Away is also safe to use near plants, pets, children and other living things.

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/BTESTMS.wmv

DIRECTIONS:

1. Remove the cap from the sea strainer, pour about 4 ounces of Salt-Away into the sea strainer, and replace the cap.

2. Start the engine, and shut it down immediately upon seeing the foaming action exiting into the water.

3. Salt-away must remain in the raw water system.

* Tip: The first time this is tried, using a watch with a second hand, it is good to measure the time it takes Salt-Away to get to the exhaust by asking a friend to tell you when the foaming action is visible at the stern. After then, time the engine flush by using your watch.

* If the Salt-Away is flushed through, then followed by sea water, the procedure will not work.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still use it when running in salt water a lot of pros&cons will try dawn?Dawn gets $80 an hour
Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

I have come up with a great system for salt water wash down / cleaning.

First off, Dawn is very harsh and will remove your wax/polish. Its even recommended by many wax manufacturers to strip the vehicle prior to applying their product.

I use a garden sprayer similar to the one posted above but it has a dial adjustment. I fill the sprayer 1/2 with vinegar and 1/2 with inexpensive Blue Coral car soap. I start by wetting the entire boat/trailer down with straight water then set the dial until until I get some good suds and soak it all down. The boat gets a wipe down and then rinse.
I have hot water outside and that makes a HUGE difference in dissolving salt. On my black outboard engine cowlings this method almost removes all the salt deposits without wiping them down using cold water and really gets it all using hot water.
My Fountain is a 2003 and has been used in salt here in Florida for 500 hours and still looks and shines like brand new. No corrosion. The vinegar also removes light tannin stains from dirty water. It wont take off accumulated staining but constant use greatly reduces the need to periodically acid the wash the hull.
Salt-Away and similar products are simply mild acids with similar PH properties to vinegar. Salt-X even claims to be edible so a tasted a drop of it one day (stuck my finger in the bottle) and it certainly tasted like vinegar (dyed blue).
Over time, vinegar or any mild acidic will also remove your wax/polish. Use as little as will work for you.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good info .... I just built a setup for flushing my motors on the lift and ran 1" PVC all the way to the lift ....using a heavy Duty 3/4 Rubber hose from Mcmaster Carr ...it flows a ton of water ...I have imco drives and the imco flushing cap fits nicely on the end of the drive ...problem I have is I am using the salt Terminator dispenser and if you look thru the dispenser the hole is only about 3/16 to 1/4" tops ....No way enough flow ....I can flush without the Dispenser and have plenty of water flowing out the thru hulls for the intercooler ...but with the Dispenser real weak flow .....not a good thing ......m
Old 06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of good info in this thread I have heard dawn will remove wax and polish. I can see it as a great way to get the engine clean though! I am a little curious as to the delivery method and amount of dawn to flush the motor with I havn't seen that answered yet. Obviously pouring a little down the hose will work but do you wait till it flushes completely or do you leave a little in the motor to inibit the corrosion? Also has anyone experienced issues with soap and gegreaser taking off electrical tape on the wiring harnesses on the motor?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the garden strayer as a dispenser for Dawn. I add about a cup per engine and run it thru for about 10 minutes or until salt taste is gone from water. Never had any issues. Dawn and Engine degreaser with sofen electrial tape after awhile.

I use vinegar and water to clean stainless and aluminum and Griots car wash for everyting else. Griots speed shine or spray on wax works great as you can spray it on before drying.