Fountain sinks at Put-N-Bay dock >

Fountain sinks at Put-N-Bay dock

Notices

Fountain sinks at Put-N-Bay dock

Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobonthis
Wow, this brings up bad memories from our trip to Lake of The Ozarks shootout last year.
This 42 was a tripple 600 package..
Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Registered

I regularly see Fountains cruising around with the swim platform touching the water line. This means all the exhaust thru-hulls are (at least partly) under water too. Bad design by my standards. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. Besides, I like to sit on the swim step at the lake without getting wet up to my knees.

John
Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyG
I regularly see Fountains cruising around with the swim platform touching the water line. This means all the exhaust thru-hulls are (at least partly) under water too. Bad design by my standards. It's just a disaster waiting to happen. Besides, I like to sit on the swim step at the lake without getting wet up to my knees.

John
Actually the exhaust is above water. The tips are in a recess under the swim platform.

I've had my hatch full of people. The swim platform touches water at that point. Just sitting, thee is no way water enters the bilge thru the vent holes. The holes are connect to tubes that extend forward and upwards. You'd have water coming over the hatch for water to run into the bilge thru the vent holes. A rush of water could enter thru there though, but a good set of bilge pumps should be able to handle that. My bilge has NEVER had a drop of water inside since I resealed the rubrail.
The boat that sunk had to have had a leaking rubrail also since it sunk at night. Any water inside during the day would have been pumped out then. During the day, surely 1 of the people on the hatch would have noticed the pumps running. I'd guess the batterys got tired in the evening while noone to notice the pump running. As someone mentioned, it was just painted. Might wanna recheck those hose connections.

SEAL THAT RUBRAIL! And then the water issus will drop by 99%.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
..... and the integral swim platform blocks access to seal the hull/deck junction during manufacture.
Yes, and the sealing from the outside during assembly has a lot to be desired. And I mean a lot!

I fill that joint solid with 5200 along the back and forward 3 ft. Now it's a single peice.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also consider bad bellows or hole in the intake hose. A big enough hole in eiither and the pumps may not keep up. The pumps may also have ran until the batteries were dead.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 AM
Registered

Keiter & Michelle

We were with our friends that had the 32 ft Fountain that sunk on 8/23. They were both troopers, despite the mishap. There were 6 other boats from Pittsburgh with them so they hopped on our boats and rode out the weekend. No one was hurt and that is what counts. to Keiter and Michelle !! ( I spilled my drink last night)