Like Tree0Likes

proper trim when going on plane

Reply
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
rtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl.
Posts: 575
Default proper trim when going on plane

My understanding is that if you want to trim your boat to an optimum level for speed in relatively flat conditions, do the following:

-If necessary, tabs down and drive down.
-Once coming on plane, raise tabs to a neutral position so that they are not holding the boat down.
-Raise the engine until you observe the tachometer rise without speed increase.
-Then lower drive just a touch until tach comes back down.

Is this correct?
rtaylor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
My Boats: 1992 Hydrolift Sportcat 22 2.5 ROS, 1993 Fountain 27 Fever, 525SC (Sold)
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor View Post
My understanding is that if you want to trim your boat to an optimum level for speed in relatively flat conditions, do the following:

-If necessary, tabs down and drive down.
-Once coming on plane, raise tabs to a neutral position so that they are not holding the boat down.
-Raise the engine until you observe the tachometer rise without speed increase.
-Then lower drive just a touch until tach comes back down.

Is this correct?
I assume you have outboards with jack plate?
Rise and trim out the drive until you find the sweet spot (no speed increase) Also rise the tabs fully if handling permits or they might scrub off some speed...
Trim in the drive would help getting up on plane, but it depends on your setup.
badluck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 PM
  #3
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
PARADOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
My Boats: Formula 272 Sold, 26 Infinity, 4 sale, 08-33' Avanti 4SALE
Posts: 2,697
Default

FYI.. There is no written rule. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment. Each boat, set up and driver is different, conditions are different. In my .02 forget the tach and numbers, Feel what's right, then you will know.
PARADOX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
  #4
Registered
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: None
Posts: 3,682
Talking Absolutely Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
FYI.. There is no written rule. Experiment. Experiment. Experiment. Each boat, set up and driver is different, conditions are different. In my .02 forget the tach and numbers, Feel what's right, then you will know.
Every boat IS different.

Funny Story:

When I worked for Everglades Marina, (Cigarette dealer), I usually picked-up the boats from Cigarette in what is now Aventura and drove them by water up to Ft. Lauderdale. One gorgeous day TWO new Top Guns were ready, so I was able to drive both boats over the same water within hours of one another.

Because the boats were very similarly equipped, I expected them to be almost carbon copies of each other.

Well, they felt different...not BAD different, but definitely different. The next time I spoke to Craig Barrie, I told him this story and what boats I had picked-up that day. Of course I asked him why.

He said..."I have a question for you. I have two sisters from the same parents. One has big boobs and the other is flat-chested...why?". After that I was always careful what questions I asked him!
Edward R. Cozzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
  #5
Registered
Thread Starter
 
rtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl.
Posts: 575
Default

Interestng story... realze every boat s dfferent, but there must be a basic way to get to the optmal trim. Granted, tweaks and levels ght be dfferent because each boat may be balanced dfferently, but there must be a smlar approach, no?
rtaylor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:47 PM
  #6
Registered
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: None
Posts: 3,682
Wink

Start off with the engines fully down. This should get your hull to its planing speed the quickest.

After the bow comes down start trimming the engines out. You should feel the hull freeing-up, the speed increasing and the RPMs gaining. Look over the side. The wake should be breaking from the windshield to the helm.
Your boat will let you know if you trim too much, as it will start porpoising and/or over-revving. In that case just trim back in a little until it stops.

Depending on way too many variables to list here, get used to what feels right using this procedure before you start using any tab.

Use as little tab as possible to not lose any speed unnecessarily. The ideal angle of attack is about 4 degrees, but again remember every boat has its own little personality. I've driven boats that were a dream to drive and figure out. On the other hand, I've driven boats that were downright rude and obnoxious.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Edward R. Cozzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 PM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
rtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl.
Posts: 575
Default

Thanks for the advice. I'll play around with it tomorrow and let you know. Right now I have the boat propped for top speed so it's tough to ge tout of the hole without cavitating, but I'm getting really good at feathering the throttles back ad forth to prevent that while getting up on plane. I need tabs and drives down all the way to get on plane though. I guess that's really why Im asking this. So it makes sense to bring the tabs up first, then to trim the drives for optimum trim.
rtaylor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM
  #8
Registered
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: None
Posts: 3,682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll play around with it tomorrow and let you know. Right now I have the boat propped for top speed so it's tough to ge tout of the hole without cavitating, but I'm getting really good at feathering the throttles back ad forth to prevent that while getting up on plane. I need tabs and drives down all the way to get on plane though. I guess that's really why Im asking this. So it makes sense to bring the tabs up first, then to trim the drives for optimum trim.
By all means YES...get rid of the tab first as you feel the boat start to get serious about planing. You may find that after trimming the engines out that bringing back a small amount of tab is beneficial.
Edward R. Cozzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:59 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
rtaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl.
Posts: 575
Default

Thanks. Worked well yesterday. Get up on plane, raise the tabs to just above neutral position, then let the drives up and look, listen and feel for speed and a sweet sound that lets you know you're just right. Bost sits nicely too.
rtaylor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
LaughingCat
Scarab
2
06-03-2008 11:36 AM
TomFTM
Wanted
15
04-25-2008 02:16 PM
PARADOX
General Q & A
3
08-28-2007 11:55 AM
wetpleasure
General Q & A
3
06-22-2006 02:12 PM
Shooter
General Q & A
6
02-03-2002 11:16 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.