Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Rip
Old 09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Baja_man
My prayers are with the family.

There was a coment about having limited access to a public lake. It would make the event a bit safer but I really dont think it would be fair to all. A family just wanting to spend part of their vacation on the water tubing should have that right on a public lake. Everyone that is on the lake might not take interest in the poker run. A poker run is not intended ro be a "race" as was stated, its about getting together with other boaters and getting the best poker hand hence the name. I think it has evolved into what this and it is becoming more and more dangerous. Alot of poker runs have already dropped there event due to insurance issues. At some point, promoters are going to have have some limits and rules to make it safe both to spectators and participants.
In reading the related articles,the surviving passenger stated that they swerved to avoid another boat. Spectator boats need to be kept away from boats going 150 plus mph not only for the poker runners saftey, but for the saftey of the people on the spectator boats as well!

Last edited by stainless; 09-06-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

Met Kevin briefly at Lake Cumberland a couple of years ago, super nice guy! RIP my friend. Prayers and best wishes for a quick recovery to the passenger (sorry I didn't recall you name)
Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
In reading the related articles,the surviving passenger stated that they swerved to avoid a spectator boat. Spectator boats need to be kept away from boats going 150 plus mph not only for the poker runners saftey, but for the saftey of the people on the spectator boats as well!
if your going 150 mph, whether it be to a card stop or the local sand bar,in anything other than a sactioned closed course race..and you hit another boat..who's fault is it??

Last edited by phragle; 09-06-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered

Thoughts and Prayers to the family and freinds. Godspeed
Old 09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Registered

This really sucks....

It looks from the pictures posted, if you zoom in there is a black helicopter just above Kevin, Im sure if the tapes were rolling, we will find out what happened.

RIP Kevin
Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I met Keven at the Chicago Run two years ago...just talking in the parking lot the day after the run...he offered me a ride, but had to rescind because the boat was full. Super nice guy, and the boat was truely an icon. Godspeed to him, and our thoughts are with his family.

Every time I see something like this, I get sick to my stomach.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
if your going 150 mph, whether it be to a card stop or the local sand bar,in anything other than a sactioned closed course race..and you hit another boat..who's fault is it??
These boats need room to run if people want to spectate fine however they need to be kept back.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by stainless
These boats need room to run if people want to spectate fine however they need to be kept back.
They are..at a race..on a closed course with patrol boats..poker runs are held on open public bodies of water, a guy in an 8' rowboat has just as much right to be there as you do.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
They are..at a race..on a closed course with patrol boats..poker runs are held on open public bodies of water, a guy in an 8' rowboat has just as much right to be there as you do.
I'll wait for the helo video

Quick Reply: Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.