GB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rip
Old 09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prayers to the family. I hate to see this!
Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What's really unfortunate is...

The unfortunate part of all of this is that somewhere in the larger scheme of things I feel that with further planning and better organization incidences like this could have a better chance at being avoided. My reasons are this:

In my opinion there were far to many boats on the lake. I know trying to restrict the number of boats that actually gain access to the lake would be difficult, but when local county and or city administrators can close a public park to the public for a private party then they damn well have the power to restrict access to this body of water. It shouldn't be to hard to do given the limited number of entry points on the lake. The start of the run was delayed, which gave every other boater in the vicinity of the lake the opportunity to get on it to watch and possibly contribute to or create a hazardous situation.

I am not saying that someone caused this tragic accident either accidentally or deliberately, but just the shear number of vessels on the water could cause serious distraction to any of the participants of this event, and as most of us know going over 100mph in a boat requires the utmost in concentration, ability and faith in your equipment.

I am not criticizing anyone or anything in particular and I'm quite sure that Kevin possessed every quality necessary to operate his craft at whatever speed it was capable of attaining. I'm sure his loss will be remembered for quite sometime, and I feel for his immediate family and those who knew him best. I did not know Kevin.

I am certain of one thing, in my opinion the Poker Run coordinators need to pay more attention to organization, group sequencing, time strategy and most importantly of all working with local and state officials to somehow limit the ability of non-participants to influence the direction of the course. We all know that a Poker Run is "not a race" but by the same token going fast or as fast as we possibly can with other owners in a like category is just part of the Poker Run adventure.

I really don't think it would be impossible to heavily restrict access to this lake for 6 hours one day a year. This is the same reason I won't run in an organized event on Lake Lanier, the opportunity for disaster is just to..... Opportune.

As I stated earlier my heartfelt condolences go out to all of those involved and who knew Kevin best.

RIP

Last edited by Trippin; 09-06-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

Rip
Old 09-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Trippin
The unfortunate part of all of this is that somewhere in the larger scheme of things I feel that with further planning and better organization incidences like this could have a better chance at being avoided. My reasons are this:

In my opinion there were far to many boats on the lake. I know trying to restrict the number of boats that actually gain access to the lake would be difficult, but when local county and or city administrators can close a public park to the public for a private party then they damn well have the power to restrict access to this body of water. It shouldn't be to hard to do given the limited number of entry points on the lake. The start of the run was delayed, which gave every other boater in the vicinity of the lake the opportunity to get on it to watch and possibly contribute to or create a hazardous situation.

I am not saying that someone caused this tragic accident either accidentally or deliberately, but just the shear number of vessels on the water could cause serious distraction to any of the participants of this event, and as most of know going over 100mph in a boat requires the utmost in concentration, ability and faith in your equipment.

I am not criticizing anyone or anything in particular and I'm quite sure that Kevin possessed every quality necessary to operate his craft at whatever speed it was capable of attaining. I'm sure his loss will be remembered for quite sometime, and I feel for his immediate family and those who knew him best. I did not know Kevin.

I am certain of one thing, in my opinion the Poker Run coordinators need to pay more attention to organization, group sequencing, time strategy and most importantly of all working with local and state officials to somehow limit the ability of non-participants to influence the direction of the course. We all know that a Poker Run is "not a race" but by the same token going fast or as fast as we possibly can with other owners in a like category is just part of the Poker Run adventure.

I really don't think it would be impossible to heavily restrict access to this lake for 6 hours one day a year. This is the same reason I won't run in an organized event on Lake Lanier, the opportunity for disaster is just to..... Opportune.

As I stated earlier my heartfelt condolences go out to all of those involved and who knew Kevin best.

RIP
You just said what I wanted to say.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:20 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the call about Kevin passing away today about noon. I was getting ready to go to the harbor. Needless to say, after hearing about Kevin, I was kinda numb for a while, and running the boat did'nt seem all that important anymore.

Kevin was a first class guy all the way. This summer at our Chicago poker run, when he launched the boat on friday, he offered me a seat on it to do a shake down run with him. All I can say, is that he drove that boat very, very well, and I had confidence in his driving skills.
Everytime I've seen him, he greeted me with that big smiling face of his, and I'm sure gonna miss him, as I'm sure many other of the people that were close to him are as well.
R.I.P. Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-misc00060.jpg   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-misc00061.jpg   Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-misc00077.jpg  

www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate signing on and seeing this.

My prayers are with his family and friends, I know your pain all too well.

Quick Reply: Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.