Like Tree0Likes

Please Help...

Reply
Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 PM
  #41
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Conway, SC
My Boats: FOUNTAIN 38 FEVER and ADVANTAGE 28 PARTY CAT
Posts: 280
Default

I'm not taking sides, but if the boat is CG documented and there is a lien on the documentation, all that has to be done is for the guy who owes the debt to pay the bank to have the CG lien released. A title may not exist, since it is documented. I bought a boat that was documented and there was no title, just the CG Documentation. Several states do not title boats. Tennessee is one, because I just bought another boat that was registered in TN and there was no title for it, just a piece of paper saying TN does not title boats. Generally speaking the CG documentation replaces the title, and if you want a title you relinquish the CG documentation to get it, in states that do title boats. Only problem I see here is the guy who sold the boat hasn't paid enough to get a release, regardless of what he thinks was enough. I'm also surprised the buyers bank didn't check with sellers bank before providing funding to make sure there was going to be enough funds change hands to satisfy the lien. A lot of banks are doing that now to avoid these type problems.
heavyhauler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:03 PM
  #42
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
My Boats: 1994 Fountain Fever 27'
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin View Post
I have a friend at the FBI office in Charlotte. I'll be making a call to him this AM. Since this is inter-state and for significant $$, he should be able to help.

Apppedigree is apparently one absolutely stupid SOB.
Let me know if he needs any info (his address, hull id number, anything).
bruin_d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:04 PM
  #43
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
My Boats: 1994 Fountain Fever 27'
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
His true gift was getting 38K for a 94 Scarab. He should have closed that deal as fast and as clean as he could.
Its a Fountain, not a Scarab.
bruin_d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:10 PM
  #44
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
My Boats: 1994 Fountain Fever 27'
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhauler View Post
I'm not taking sides, but if the boat is CG documented and there is a lien on the documentation, all that has to be done is for the guy who owes the debt to pay the bank to have the CG lien released. A title may not exist, since it is documented. I bought a boat that was documented and there was no title, just the CG Documentation. Several states do not title boats. Tennessee is one, because I just bought another boat that was registered in TN and there was no title for it, just a piece of paper saying TN does not title boats. Generally speaking the CG documentation replaces the title, and if you want a title you relinquish the CG documentation to get it, in states that do title boats. Only problem I see here is the guy who sold the boat hasn't paid enough to get a release, regardless of what he thinks was enough. I'm also surprised the buyers bank didn't check with sellers bank before providing funding to make sure there was going to be enough funds change hands to satisfy the lien. A lot of banks are doing that now to avoid these type problems.
That is correct, all that has to be done is for him to satisfy the lien. To me that is the same thing as a title.

My bank does something they call a pre-approval. Basically I tell them how much I want to spend, they cut me a check for that much, in this case it was a check for $40,000. So the bank is saying that the check I have is worth up to 40,000. We negotiated a price and I wrote the price on the check. The bank isn't involved in this type of transaction. Then he is supposed to send me the title and then I send it to the bank. After this experience it is quite obvious why banks are doing it the way you described now. There are too many idiots around who can't control there spending and live well beyond their means.
bruin_d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
  #45
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member
 
vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lake Norman N.C.
My Boats: poker runs offshore racing
Posts: 1,311
Default

RUT ROW. Have you done a abstract of title? That will give you all the info on the boat .You can see who has owned the boat and what loans have been on it.I hope you guys can get this worked out.
__________________
Champagne taste on a beer Budget

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
vagrant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
  #46
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
My Boats: 1994 Fountain Fever 27'
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spilman View Post
OSO Rules..Nice work guys! Some people will always push the limits; must keep them in check.....

Can't wait for the outcome!
B,sorry you weren't able to use your boat due to some A_ole!
It is pretty amazing. Apparently this guy has pissed off quite a few people because I keep getting emails from other people with more and more info on him.
bruin_d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
  #47
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
My Boats: 1994 Fountain Fever 27'
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
RUT ROW. Have you done a abstract of title? That will give you all the info on the boat .You can see who has owned the boat and what leans have been on it.I hope you guys can get this worked out.
Yes, thats how I found out he still owed money on it.
bruin_d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:23 PM
  #48
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member
 
vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lake Norman N.C.
My Boats: poker runs offshore racing
Posts: 1,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_d View Post
Yes, thats how I found out he still owed money on it.
Ok sorry if you posted that. That's how I got National Marine also.
__________________
Champagne taste on a beer Budget

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
vagrant is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:20 PM
  #49
Registered
 
Downtown42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 1 Flu Ovr KuKos Nest-WI
My Boats: 2005 42' Fountain SOLD
Posts: 9,950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_d View Post
Yes, thats how I found out he still owed money on it.
He sure is a player over here

what a knob-dik.

www.boatfreaks.org


Hope you get your title soon. Chirs, great work as usual.
Downtown42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
  #50
Registered
 
jayhawk261's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
My Boats: 2000 Superboat 24 Step Bottom - Fresh 501
Posts: 1,729
Default

Yeah, when I bought my boat, the bank wouldn't fund the loan until they saw the title (faxed copy was fine). If there had been a lien, the check would have been made out to the owner of the boat and the bank to satisfy the lien.

I thought this was a complete pita because the owner had actually lost the title. He applied for a replacement, but in New York State that takes 12 weeks. We had to wait 12 weeks after the deal was struck to get our boat

Looking at your situation, I see why that rule is there. it protects the bank as well as the customer in situations like this. Good luck with it.

Also, I agree with everyone here. The seller has a problem with his bank, not the buyer. You should not even know that the seller has a problem with his bank. It isn't any of your business. You paid for the boat - end of discussion. He needs to handle his business without involving you.
jayhawk261 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.