Notices

Please Help...

Old 09-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help...

Let me start off by saying that you are only dumb if you don't learn from your mistakes...and I have definately learned from this one!! Please spare me the lecturing about how I screwed up because I already know that I did.

I bought my boat in May from a person on this website (I am not going to say his name but if you look back you can find out). I STILL have not received a title from him. I do have a bill of sale though. I have given him the benefit of the doubt for 5 months now because he seemed like a good guy. But I have run out of patience because I just received the second notice from my bank saying that they are going to jack my rates up if I can't produce a title REAL soon because it will turn into an un-secured loan at that point. I have went to the bank that he claims is holding the lien and they can't tell me anything. Luckily I am in the military and get free legal but I just don't want to go through the headache. However, I think that I need to at this point. What would you guys do? I have been storing the boat in the back of a friends yard for a few months now and haven't taken it out since June for obvious reasons. I have an appointment with the Navy lawyer tomorrow. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not one of these people who tries to sue everyone at the drop of a hat, I just want my dang title.

Last edited by bruin_d; 09-22-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the guy says that the title is with his bank? Do you own the boat outright or did you finance some of it....is it possible the the title was transferred to the bank that you used for financing? (if in fact you did finance it)
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered

No, the title is not with my bank because I haven't received it to give to them yet. I financed it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruin_d
No, the title is not with my bank because I haven't received it to give to them yet. I financed it.
I financed a portion of my boat and never physically received the title, and still haven't as it is with the bank that I did my financing through (I had an agent do all the heavy lifting for me). It's possible that this guy just took the money and never actually paid off the remaining debt, in which case the bank would still want to hold onto the title. It sounds to me like you gave this guy enough time to fix the situation and if he is trying to dodge you something is probably up.

In terms of what you can do through a legal process, I'm going to leave that to someone with more experience then myself.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have some sort of purchase agreement I would start the legal process immediately. I would first contact the prosecutor in the county where the transaction took place. Sometimes a simple call from them stops this sort of thing right away. Depending on the person you get, you may get help or you may get blown off- to civil. This is not something you need to sue him for or go through a trial. Your attorney needs to have the judge issue an order for the seller to produce a transferrable title. If you have a contract and a cancelled check, there should be no issue. If he fails to provide the title or file an answer, the judge can find him in contempt and have him arrested.

Before doing any of this, go to the county title agency and have them run a report on the registration or HIN. They can tell you if there's a lien and to whom.

And hide the boat. He has absolutely no reason to make the payment anymore so the bank is probably looking for it. If they find out you have it, they'll take it and auction it and keep what they're owed- and return the balance to the seller.

And you need to name the guy. If he's a crook, we all have the same right to be protected from him as you do coming here and asking for help. Does his name start with an "A" and ends her with an "E"?
Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
If you have some sort of purchase agreement I would start the legal process immediately. I would first contact the prosecutor in the county where the transaction took place. Sometimes a simple call from them stops this sort of thing right away. Depending on the person you get, you may get help or you may get blown off- to civil. This is not something you need to sue him for or go through a trial. Your attorney needs to have the judge issue an order for the seller to produce a transferrable title. If you have a contract and a cancelled check, there should be no issue. If he fails to provide the title or file an answer, the judge can find him in contempt and have him arrested.

Before doing any of this, go to the county title agency and have them run a report on the registration or HIN. They can tell you if there's a lien and to whom.

And hide the boat. He has absolutely no reason to make the payment anymore so the bank is probably looking for it. If they find out you have it, they'll take it and auction it and keep what they're owed- and return the balance to the seller.

And you need to name the guy. If he's a crook, we all have the same right to be protected from him as you do coming here and asking for help. Does his name start with an "A" and ends her with an "E"?
I already had the boat run through the coast guard (it is CG documented) which is how I found out that there is still a lien. He claims that he owes the bank money for early payment and interest on a 30 year loan. The bank he claims says they don't have penalties and they don't do 30 year loans. I have a contract and canceled check. The boat is hidden. Yes, his name (on here) starts with an A and ends with an E (apppedigree).
Old 09-22-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm with Chris get started with criminal prosecution. But also at the same time on the civil side get a court ordered lien against the boat in the amount you paid. That way if the bank goes into repo mode you have a leg to stand on for with holding the boat. Albeit you still might lose in an open court battle your lien will shut down any law enforcement involved in a repo at least until a judge rules on who's lien takes precedence.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:03 PM

So I gather Apppedigtree's name is BobbY? Last name?

I see he listr this as "his" website- is this his business or is he an employee? http://www.umipub.com/aboutumi/AboutUmi.aspx

I would assume Bobby is an employee of these folks- since the company is older than the age he lists. And since the company appears to have a business relationship with NASCAR, I'd imagine they don't like negative association on a public board like this.

So anyway, Bobby's number over there is 1-800-747-9287. I'll have a fax number in the AM

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 09-22-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:05 PM

More info-

1135 N Tryon St
Charlotte, NC 28206
Phone: (704) 374-0420

Need that last name.

He's posting this afternoon about tearing all around Lake Norman in his new Skater. I wonder if all of his boat buddies know he's using the dough he didn't use to pay off the boat for his high-roller lifestyle?
Old 09-22-2008, 06:10 PM

http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/cor...temId=5648477#

Owned by Ivan Mothershead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.