Box Anchors? Anyone try'em?...

Notices

Box Anchors? Anyone try'em?...

Old 03-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Box Anchors? Anyone try'em?...

I'm thinking about ordering one. Some mentioned last spring on OSO they worked pretty well. So I'm doing another sanity check before throwing down on one. I'll use it mainly on sandy bottoms with tidal currents (at times strong) and lots of rafting up. Are the sizes they recommend honest or should I go one more up to make sure I don't break free during a raft up etc? They advertise needing shorter rodes than the standard ones and they reset easy if broke free etc. etc. etc......What are the cons over standards?....

Rick
Old 03-11-2002, 02:25 PM
Intolerant1

I have one and cant say enough about the product and the company. I purchased the large one for my 26' Liberator and it was a bit heavy for my wife to pull up over the side. That is the downside...they are heavier than a normal anchor but you do not need a chain. I exchanged it for the small one which works fine. They hook fast and release easy. A little cumbersome but nice to have on the boat.

Old 03-11-2002, 03:15 PM
KN
Registered

I was thinking of ordering one of these too, they look like they work very well. Anyone not happy with theirs?

Kirk
Old 03-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Intolerant, when you say you initially purchased a larger one then reversed, which size did you initially get and end up with? How heavy do you suppose the one you have is?...

I have 29 footer and I'm wandering if the 25-30' size wouold be enough for me under the conditions stated above. I didn't think they were so heavy though....
Old 03-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Registered

I won one of these as a door prize at a poker run a couple of years ago and have really liked it. I haven't used it too many times but when I used it it worked great. I haven't really heard complaints about them either.....
Old 03-11-2002, 03:40 PM
DIESELBRI64

I am also cosidering one of these, how heavy is the anchor for a 25-30 ft boat?

Old 03-11-2002, 03:54 PM
NotTOOBAD

Who makes these Box Anchors? I was in the market for a Hooker...are these things better?

I need something to catch on pretty rough bottom terrain. Lake Travis is a flooded valley, mostly limestone and tree stumps...not much soft sandy stuff here.

I had a great anchor until last year when my rope got frayed though. I was basically a 22 lb. palstic covered lead cylinder with two hooks on the bottom. Since I'm moving up this year from a 22 to a Boss 272, I'm anticipating needing a better anchor...any suggestions y'all???

Old 03-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Talking Slide Anchor

Call Ryan at Slide Anchor 888-445-4869 They are the manufacturers of the Box Anchor. You can also visit their website at Slide Anchor

They product is excellent and they stand behind it. Ryan will give you all the info you need. They also have a on/offshore spike that works really well too.

Old 03-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I was very suspect about ordering a Box Anchor, but got so fed up with my Fortress (which has a great reputation) that I took the chance. Actually it was not much of a chance, they will buy the anchor back from you if your not satisfied, not much of a risk. I called the owner (Ryan) to confirm that guarantee. I wound up with the larger size anchor (I have a 28' boat). I was hooked (pun intended I guess ) the first time I used it. It has set in every bottom I've been in, first try, every time. One of the best boating accessories I've purchased no doubt. The only drawback would be that its heavy. You have to watch the hull as you raise the anchor. Knowing what I know now, I would prabably opt for the smaller anchor, all-in-all though, I'm a very satisfied customer. Order one and keep your old anchor just in case you return it, but the old anchor will probably find the trash bin just like mine did .
Old 03-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just ordered a small box anchor and it is 20lbs, but you don't need a chain.

Quick Reply: Box Anchors? Anyone try'em?...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.