get the hell out of my way

Notices

get the hell out of my way

Old 11-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Gearcase
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rules of the road apply

Boaters need to learn to give way. look farther ahead. if your racing you singed up for it, no quarter is the rule and i may run you off course in the future. But this equipment is heavy and you need to plan ahead.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Prater
Also, does not anybody else notice that the large yacht is not moving, either at anchor or drifting. if it was moving forward it would have went right through the smaller yacht and then passed right by.
It looks likes it's moving to me.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VtSteve
It looks likes it's moving to me.
Theres no bow wake??? When the boat stopped there would be a wake moving away from the boat. I think the waves make it look like it is moving. I have been anchored several times in the Atlantic diving and sometimes it looks like the boat is moving forward just because of the waves while sitting still.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, does not anybody else notice that the large yacht is not moving, either at anchor or drifting. if it was moving forward it would have went right through the smaller yacht and then passed right by.
I was just about to post the same thing, if the larger boat was moving there should have been a secondary collision. I believe it was stationary or moving so slow that it could not turn.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 852 Likes on 312 Posts

The very first thing I thought was Holy Sh!t!!

The second thing was I hope nobody got crushed in the bow.

The third thing was what a couple of morons!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

You guys may be right, or he was at the very least moving very slowly. Perhaps the larger boat slowed down and was just idling forward, and the skipper assumed the smaller boat would avert his course. If that's the case, he was wrong, and should have turned sharply to his own starboard to avoid collision.

I can't imagine the impact if he was moving at a fast clip.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Coastguard Navigation website, and yes I have the Coastguard training:

Look at the water just off the bow of the vessel to the L. You can see the bottom and the vessel IS clearly moving forward at a steerable rate of speed.

Larger size alone does not dictate stand on or give way vessel. Restricted manuverability applys to tankers, sail boats, vessels actively fishing, etc, not to two powered vessels underway. The camera angle and lens may distort the relative sizes of the two vessels. The one to the R is not a small boat by any means ...

Agreed both patries contributed, but again, adherance to navigation rules would have prevented this incident all together.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you look close at the impact you will see the anchor line of the larger boat jump from the water. The mate on the bow of the larger ship was probably using a foot control to pull it in.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My eyes aren't that good or that young. I see the guy on the bow pulpit getting the heck out of the way.

Quick Reply: get the hell out of my way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.