Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is this oil changer any good? >

Is this oil changer any good?

Notices

Is this oil changer any good?

Old 03-13-2002, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the one Audiofn is talking about, I used to use the eletric pump, I like the cylinder one better.

However I will only be using it one more time, I am putting in the drail hose from eddiemarine for $16, got it in the mail last week

WILL
Old 03-13-2002, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Jeff
my personal favorite is to drain both motors in the bildge and then use the vacuum at the carwash over on MLK Blvd.
Jeff, LMAO

I'm with everyone else here. You'll be hating life trying to pump that oil out by hand. Get the electric models, It's a lot less painful, will last longer and will save hassle. Or spring for the quick-drain kits that drains through the transom drain hole. That's the way, I've been doing it for two seasons and I love it. Just bring the engine up to operating temp, pull the hose through the drain, open the plug and while I drink a brew or two it drains itself.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the hose connected to the oil pan. When I get home from lake, I stick out the drain plug, put end in bucket & take cap of end. I come back latter, put cap back on new filter, new oil & ready to go again.

I had the electric pump that you had to put one end in bucket but if you do not hold on to end it will come out & get oil all over bilge & make big mess.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Drain Kits Install

How in the "H - E - double hockey-stick" would you get the self drain kit installed without pulling the engine? I have to do a total head stand in the engine comparment just to get to the manifold drain plugs. The oil pan seems like another mile away and the bilge pump is a distant friend that I can see, but, have never laid hands on... thank god it works great. I have a Baja 240 Islander with a 502 Mag.

I'd have to hire a contortionist (sp?) to do any more. Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:58 AM
kook

Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I do trailer (but I don't do trailer trash ) . How does the drain kit work? I assume you don't have to pull your pan plug each time, correct?

Old 03-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

I like that one. I have used mine for 6 years with no trouble. It's fast, light, very portable. I use it to change fluids in my truck rear end, power steering, trim pumps, everything. I also use it to drain the truck trans the night before dropping the pan to change the filter. That way I don't make a mess and get rained on the whole time I'm under the truck. It's great.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:17 AM
Bo Knows

Thumbs up

I also use the same one that audiofn & 27 fountain use & it works great. It even works on cold engines. I bought it at West Marine. They make them with different size holding tanks so get one with a tank big enough to drain one engine without dumping.

Old 03-13-2002, 11:26 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I'd belly up to the electric one for ease, durability and time saved. I've tried'em all. If you're stuck on saving a buck and go for the hand pump version, my advice is warm up the engine to thin the oil and make it easier.....

Rick
Old 03-13-2002, 11:34 AM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by Jeff
my personal favorite is to drain both motors in the bildge and then use the vacuum at the carwash over on MLK Blvd.
Well darn I always wondered what that slick was at the car wash
Old 03-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the pail w/electric pump. You can reverse it and fill your waste containers without spilling a drop. The pump is also srong enough to drain a cold motor.

Quick Reply: Is this oil changer any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.