Like Tree0Likes

need opinions on ILMORE's

Old 01-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Registered

My Boats: Velocity 41'

I can assure you that you will find no better motors out there. Customer service is 2nd to none. The engines have a wonderful sound and are very reliable. You will really be impressed with fuel economy that no other engine can match.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Registered

Default Ilmor Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steet View Post
I can assure you that you will find no better motors out there. Customer service is 2nd to none. The engines have a wonderful sound and are very reliable. You will really be impressed with fuel economy that no other engine can match.
Listen from 24 seconds on-

The ilmors < 710> sounds like a cross between a BBC and a Lambo/Ferarri

These things HONK.

"Uncle Dave"
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Boat first trip.mov (866.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

My Boats: 39 Lip-Ship Cigarette 700 Zuls

I was in the 05 [email protected] 110mph sweet! issues with the drives would be my concern. also the oneway ck valves get plugged up if their installed before the sea strainers... it has the 7-10s
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (3)

My Boats: 37 Outerlimits Stiletto YPM Whippled 598's

If these motors are so good, why don't you see more of them? I've been trying to decide between 525's or jumping up to 600 sci's on a new boat. I never really considered Ilmores because I thought it would hurt resale. Sounds like I need to reconsider that. Can anyone comment on the 625's? The 710's would be more than I need......did I really just say that....
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Default Its simple really

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBoss302 View Post
If these motors are so good, why don't you see more of them? I've been trying to decide between 525's or jumping up to 600 sci's on a new boat. I never really considered Ilmores because I thought it would hurt resale. Sounds like I need to reconsider that. Can anyone comment on the 625's? The 710's would be more than I need......did I really just say that....
Good question- 2 part answer.

1. $$$$$ Money- it is more difficult/expensive to get high horsepower without a blower than with it. Go price it out yourself. This investment pays off on day 1 however AND later down the line in many ways however starting with aluminum blocks - a lighter boat needs less power to go equal speed to begin with.

A stated benefit beginning to be proven, <but i have no doubt about> is longer time between rebuilds. Blowers are harder on running gear- rings, exhaust seats, valves- etc. Im not making a blanket statement saying blower engines are unreliable- Im saying they will wear out faster than a NA engine while filling your bilge with belt dust at the same time.

2. Ilmors fairly new to the marine scene and needed some seasons to "walk the walk". Like the aviation business we're reluctant to change- fact is big block engines work well are proven and in many ways it makes no sense to mess with that- I can rebuild fix or strip a BBC in a weekend with friends- I cant do that with an Ilmor.

The Merc 600sci is a great engine and its main benefit is NMEA 2000 compliant engine computer making rigging super easy. However for comparisons sake 600HP in an iron big block isnt exactly stout considering its blown i.e. I have a 500HP small block 406 carb engine I put together for 7K in my 21 footer now. Another 100 ponies for all that money and weight ?- kind of ridiculous.

The Ilmor 625 is a great engine, smooth, powerful, light- and anvil like in reliability.

Uncle Dave
Old 01-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Registered

My Boats: 07 Donzi 38ZR

well i regret to say we didn't buy the boat, there are some cosmetics that we can't live with especially considering we would be trading in a brand new 38zr with no nicks or anything. they did call us about another one but untill it get's traded its a non issue. we are still searching and the ilmor will be on the list of things to have...

thanks for the help i'll keep you posted.. the other option will be to put blowers on the 525's that we have
Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 38 Donzi ZRC, 29 Advantage XFlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by show-n-go h2o View Post
well i regret to say we didn't buy the boat, there are some cosmetics that we can't live with especially considering we would be trading in a brand new 38zr with no nicks or anything. they did call us about another one but untill it get's traded its a non issue. we are still searching and the ilmor will be on the list of things to have...

thanks for the help i'll keep you posted.. the other option will be to put blowers on the 525's that we have

Put blowers on that 38 ZR and you would be eating drives like they were gummy bears, not to mention the horror stories that OSO members have told about trying to get blowers dailed in after adding them to 525's.

The link below is what you need and would have been a great deal. They were willing to take engines and drives in on trade for the 700's and NXT's.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o27012-en.html
Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Registered

My Boats: 07 Donzi 38ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marginmn View Post
Put blowers on that 38 ZR and you would be eating drives like they were gummy bears, not to mention the horror stories that OSO members have told about trying to get blowers dailed in after adding them to 525's.

The link below is what you need and would have been a great deal. They were willing to take engines and drives in on trade for the 700's and NXT's.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o27012-en.html
hey can you send me an email, i'd like to ask you some questions off the board, we looked at alot of boats and kept finding the same things and im curious if thats the nature of the beast or just a few bad ones. [email protected]
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 38 Donzi ZRC, 29 Advantage XFlight

Sure, will do.